cell phone rental toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 10:35 am
[OP]
Jan 27, 2017
8 posts
3 upvotes

cell phone rental toronto

I have a friend visiting from Korea and I was wondering the cheapest way to rent a cell phone in Toronto.

is there a certain company that does this or would you have to go to a carrier like Bell.

also would it be cheaper if she brought her korean phone and popped in a rented sim from the company...assuming it's unlocked ?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17703 posts
4422 upvotes
I'm assuming OP actually means rental, where they pay a fee, get a phone, and return it at the end of the term.

Depending on how long and how new of a phone she wants, it might be cheaper to just buy a phone here.
Or if her current phone is unlocked and compatible with the bands we have here, unlocking it and using that here may be the way to go.

Her usage may dictate what she does as well. If she does a lot of calls/texts, her phone is most likely compatible.
If she's heavy on internet, it may not be (assuming she wants like LTE or something)

If it were me, I'd figure out what phone she has, what bands it has, and if it's unlockable.
If that meets her needs, no need to rent.
If it doesn't (eg lack of LTE or something) buy a really cheap phone and tether off of it.
She'd have to carry 2 devices, but to me that's better than a rental.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10207 posts
1278 upvotes
Toronto
@ 607 Bloor st west there is an official Fido dealer there. It's in the Korean village. I bet they get asked this question all the time.
I'm not sure if there is a dealer in that area that deals with multiple carriers though.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel