• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 10:03 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 6, 2011
34 posts

Cell usage in USA

Hey there. We're planning on a 10 day stay in the US. We're Rogers cell customers. Any advice for cell roaming or texting? We'll try to find WiFi spots along the way..
8 replies
Feb 7, 2017
729 posts
384 upvotes
Lesson Learned the hard way...

Doesn't matter who your provider is

Don't just head across the Border without some sort of plan worked out

Roaming a la carte is VERY EXPENSIVE

We are Bell Customers... We now buy their Cross Border US Plan @ $ 5 a day

If you want to go even cheaper, then just use wifi, and use your cellphone just for calls & text (turn off all your Apps in Settings)

If you don't turn off your Apps, they are constantly ON and suck data use like crazy, something that is not cheap for a foreign phone user
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3507 posts
608 upvotes
Alberta
I just use my T-Mobile SIM when I'm in the US.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11822 posts
1737 upvotes
Rogers 'roam like home" eligible?
Feb 4, 2012
218 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd suggest enabling Rogers' "Roam Like Home". It will cost you $5/day in the US, up to a maximum of $50. Your existing data/calling plan applies with the bonus of it suddenly lets to you text to US numbers and back to Canada at no extra charge (saves putzing around with other apps). We spend a lot of time in the US and find this is a good way to handle it, especially if you just want to keep using your own number.
Jan 10, 2009
462 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers Roam Like Home is perfectly fine. Means you don't need to do anything other than opt into it and you just treat your data and call plan like back in Canada. It's a small enough price with a max of $50 per phone per month for travel in the US.
Nov 10, 2015
879 posts
191 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Last time I was in the US for an extended time I purchased a $25 cell phone at Walmart and activated it right there. It was pay as you go so just used it for texting. Minimum monthly cost was about $20 a month.
Anyone But Justin 2019
Dec 23, 2016
51 posts
24 upvotes
call Rogers and make sure you have Roam Like Home. It uses your plan's mintues and data. Don't have to worry about having to get another sim card.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2626 posts
87 upvotes
Yup, definitely if you are with Bell or Rogers, the way to go for roaming is their daily $5 plan for Zone 1(pretty much USA), and $10 for zone 2(international).
Its easy and hassle free, includes voice and data and text. Best is, you don't have to bother with finding a different sim card and keep the same phone #.