• Aug 16th, 2019 4:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Damn we live in an old 10 floor apartment building from the 70's and there's a lot of them in the building.. The storage room especially, since it's just a big concrete unfinished room, they will be on the ceilings and stuff

and yeah they are fast as HELL! I've luckily only seen one in my actual apartment ONCE and didn't even come close to catching it
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I have a million spiders but have not seen a single centipede, though i kill spiders as i find them and i have a crawlspace which probably has many more spiders
I once saw a 5 inch long centipede, how long can those things get?
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1567 posts
907 upvotes
Near GTA
I have a 100 year old house and used to get them quite a bit. I used something similar to this from Home Hardware. I've got an unfinished 5ft tall basement (worst case for critters but easy access to kill) and after spreading this powder around the top of the foundation, I never saw ANY again.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12875 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
chrischris84 wrote: I have a 100 year old house and used to get them quite a bit. I used something similar to this from Home Hardware. I've got an unfinished 5ft tall basement (worst case for critters but easy access to kill) and after spreading this powder around the top of the foundation, I never saw ANY again.
so this is like a white powder you spread around your house?
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1567 posts
907 upvotes
Near GTA
Aznkid2000 wrote: so this is like a white powder you spread around your house?
Yes, but it may not be best for you. I have a stone foundation with tons of cracks and a top ledge to put this powder where it is hidden away from everyone. We don't use the basement except for storage/laundry. I'm not sure I would use this if I had a fully finished basement. That being said, if you have a place to put this white powder it's definitely the way to go. I didn't need to try anything else, the stuff just works!

EDIT: I only put this stuff in the basement and it stopped these critters from appearing everywhere else in the house. They clearly live in the basement.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
2040 posts
526 upvotes
'sauga
Cheap Cat wrote: Besides their speed, the damn things won't die. You cut them in half and they still run away.
Clearly they are the superior lifeform. I, for one, welcome our new house centipede overlords.

Joking aside, these things are probably at the top of the bug food chain in your home. I can't remember the last time I saw a spider or potato bug in the basement. Note if there are adequate food sources (eg bugs) they probably won't be interested much in poisoned bait.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Centipedes seem to have evolved and are harder to kill and I hate finding one looking at me straight in the eye. I read on another forum to put baking soda on a damp paper towel and smack them with it - the baking soda seems to stuff up their breathing function and then step on them hard (I always wear old shoes as slippers). I hate them - they are so fast and come out of nowhere.

I hate spiders even more - and never flush a spider down a toilet even if you think it is dead because it might not be. There are a lot of posts about spiders and toilets on the That Home Site forum - many written by wives recounting "DH's worst mistakes" - this being one of them. And I agree - I have seen my husband do it and then the spider unfurling itself. I have serious issues with spiders.

Then every few years Toronto seems to get ant invasions. I recall one woman I know coming home to what she thought was a new black runner - nope - ants. Some people have their dishwashers crawling with them. And a queen aunt is something you do not want to see ever!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Blanche123 wrote: I hate spiders even more - and never flush a spider down a toilet even if you think it is dead because it might not be. There are a lot of posts about spiders and toilets on the That Home Site forum - many written by wives recounting "DH's worst mistakes" - this being one of them. And I agree - I have seen my husband do it and then the spider unfurling itself. I have serious issues with spiders.
Throw them in the toilet and they float around on the surface, all arrogant and cocky - hey look, I'm walking on water. A tiny drop of liquid hand soap will break the surface tension and the spider will float to the bottom, struggling while it drowns. That's the secret...

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
t3359 wrote: Throw them in the toilet and they float around on the surface, all arrogant and cocky - hey look, I'm walking on water. A tiny drop of liquid hand soap will break the surface tension and the spider will float to the bottom, struggling while it drowns. That's the secret...

bjl
Thanks. I will try this trick using the downstairs toilet - the one I NEVER use! All bugs etc. absolutely adore me - not taking any chances.
Mar 2, 2009
27 posts
1 upvote
Aznkid2000 wrote: so this is like a white powder you spread around your house?
White powder is "Diatomaceous earth" and its not a poison. Think it just abrasive and dries out the pests.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
t3359 wrote: Big slippers or flip-flops will work as well as the Raid.

bjl
I prefer a vacuum cleaner, no cleanup afterwards and no marks left behind
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1394 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
i have a butane torch in my garage specifically for killing bugs. works great. smells delicious afterwards
kthxbye
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: I prefer a vacuum cleaner, no cleanup afterwards and no marks left behind
What if they come back out for revenge? :eek:
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
mmhassa2 wrote: What if they come back out for revenge? :eek:
My older hand-vacc has a flap that automatically closes when the vacc is off (and condemns them to their death). MUHAHAHAHA...

Just make sure you don't dump the contents of the vacc until they're all dead.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
mmhassa2 wrote: What if they come back out for revenge? :eek:
my vacuum is a cyclone that grinds them into dust, so the only concern is ghosts, but any other method of killing would carry the same risk
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2720 posts
1462 upvotes
Ottawa
One managed to escape my foot in the garage. They are high up on my list of creepy things.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Nov 10, 2009
427 posts
32 upvotes
Hamilton
I have found they don't like to get wet. I take my spray bottle cleaner and get them that way. slows em down and then you can get them with a tissue.
Dame Edna: I think of a talk show as... well... a monologue interrupted by total strangers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)