Home & Garden

Central Air..Lennox ? Carrier ? Comfortmaker ( Keeprite ) the best ???

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2012 1:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes

Central Air..Lennox ? Carrier ? Comfortmaker ( Keeprite ) the best ???

Looks like I need a new 3.5 ton central air / furnance to be put in

After speaking to some reps, it seems like Carrier and Lennox are market leaders and both quotes I got were within $500 bucks of each other.

On the other hand...a rep who gave me a Comfortmaker / Keeprite quote for similar specs ( 3.5 tone & furnace ) was almost $2,500 less than comparable Carrier and Lennox ....that's quite a difference.

Is Comfortmaker / Keeprite a " budget " line and is it of " lesser quality " than Carrier and Lennox or is Carrier and Lennox pricier due to marketing / hype etc. ? Didn't Keeprite go out of business years ago ?

If there are any Heating & Air experts out there ..welcome any thoughts :)
28 replies
Jan 23, 2004
359 posts
14 upvotes
Keeprite is good if you don't want to spend the $$$ on Carrier or Lennox. I believe Lennox is canadian made, don't quote me on it, my friend have Lennox furnance in his house and says he have alot of problem with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2046 posts
39 upvotes
Mississauga
I went with a new Trane central air and furnace last year. Overall, I'm very happy with it.
Mar 28, 2002
498 posts
6 upvotes
We're on our 3rd keeprite unit, so far no complaints.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
mannyb wrote:I went with a new Trane central air and furnace last year. Overall, I'm very happy with it.
I was looking at Consumer Reviews and have seen some good things about Trane actually.

How did you decide on Trane in the end ? Did you look at many other brands before deciding ?
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
Ben Doone wrote:We're on our 3rd keeprite unit, so far no complaints.
You've had 3 keeprites...how long did they last on average ???..I was told 15/20 years is the norm.

Is that what you found - 15+ years - to be the case ?
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
Melfice wrote:Keeprite is good if you don't want to spend the $$$ on Carrier or Lennox. I believe Lennox is canadian made, don't quote me on it, my friend have Lennox furnance in his house and says he have alot of problem with it.
I was speaking with 4 or 5 more HVAC places today...and I'm generally hearing a lot more bad things about Lennox in terms of repairs, cuistomer service etc.than anything else ....it suprised me a bit actually.
Jan 23, 2004
359 posts
14 upvotes
Same here when he told me that. I was shopping for an air con last month, I asked him what he have at home and do he like carrier or lennox better. He was so pissed off at his lennox furnance that he didn't have any good thing to say about it. Maybe he just unlucky.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2046 posts
39 upvotes
Mississauga
poedua wrote:I was looking at Consumer Reviews and have seen some good things about Trane actually.

How did you decide on Trane in the end ? Did you look at many other brands before deciding ?
I also looked at Consumer Reviews' rating & found Trane rated as one of the best. I looked at other brands as well. At the time, Trane had a special where their 10 year warranty included parts & labour.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
go with either bryant or pane, both made by carrier at a fraction of what a carrier will cost you!!!!!!!

sk :)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
2999 posts
94 upvotes
I have a 6 year old 2.5ton Trane and it has performed very well. The housing on the a/c lookes like one for an industrial unit - very strong
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3775 posts
62 upvotes
poedua wrote:Looks like I need a new 3.5 ton central air / furnance to be put in
3.5 tonne? wowsers, you must have a very large home. . .

this is where i'd normally recommend the brand of furnace and a/c that our home has, along with the company that did it, but i'm a bit superstitious after the lid switch on our 8 year old whirlpool washer broke, just after i recommended it for its reliability (in a different thread).
Feb 20, 2005
48 posts
2 upvotes
My Keeprite central air lasted just over 11 years. My neighbour also had Keeprite and replaced his AC at the beginning of this year.

I think Keeprite AC's last just over 10 years from my presonal experience.
× < >