Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6233 posts
85 upvotes

Central vac: garage or basement?

I'll be getting a central vac for my new house but I'm wondering if I should install it in the garage or in the basement:

Garage: no dust, no noise... but it would be taking the warm air from the house and expelling it in a really cold garage in the winter. Can't that cause condensation in the central vac unit and make it rust sooner? What about condensation on the garage walls and stuff on the shelves?

Basement: I guess you save on the heating costs in the winter.. that's the only good thing I see. Oh, I could always exhaust it outside I suppose. It would be in the furnace / hotwater tank room so dust isn't that big of a deal.

That said, is garage really the way to go ?
38 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1609 posts
67 upvotes
Garage is the way to go. Much quieter in the garage.

Also, most central vac's have a direct connect on the canister which you can use to vacuum your car interior and not worry about small rocks and stuff going through all the piping
Apr 3, 2005
145 posts
10 upvotes
London
we put ours in the garage 3 years ago and no regrets :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
I put mine in my basement and vented the exhaust outside. I have had the unit configured this way for 15 yrs now - works fine.
Jul 21, 2006
654 posts
7 upvotes
Garage is definately the way to go, no dust in your basement for your furnance to suck up and distribute through your house when you empty the canister.

Also, they are kind of noisey, with it in our garage, we don't hear it when it is on.

Jay
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2835 posts
45 upvotes
ours is in basmt as we have a 50yr old home,, and no way to run the vac pipes to access garage,,, we direct vent to outside,,, no louder then a regular vaccum. I would never consider not venting a central vac to the outside,,,
it works fine
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10581 posts
1153 upvotes
Brampton
We just installed ours in the garage...best choice to put it there :!: If you plan to use your basement or rent it out, not a good idea plus all the dust that might come out will be in your house unless you vent it outside. Also depending on the unit, some are louder than others, so it might get very noisy in the basement. Ours is only 60 db, so pretty quiet. You might want to check out AstroVac, not the typical Eureka or Beam (both owned by Electrolux). You can actually test them out at the dealer that you visit...

http://www.astrovac.com/astrovac.htm
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14332 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga
Emptying the canister is a dirty,dusty messy job.
very fine particles of dust hang in the air for quite a while.
Its much less of a concern if its in the garage.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
183 upvotes
Garage.

Think about it. Do you empty your normal vac inside your house? I don't even empty my normal vac with my garage door close unless it is windy (my garbage can is in the garage). Sometime, I even move the garbage can out to the lawn to do that.

Most new house already has vac rough in go to garage. At least, mine does.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Oct 17, 2005
254 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'd recommend putting it in the garage AND venting outside to keep noise and dust away from the living space.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14332 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga
Just get a 'muffler' that attaches to the exhaust of the vacuum. Cuts down on noise quite a bit, but its still loud. You can't do much about that.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
Jay1234 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2007 10:19 am
Garage is definately the way to go, no dust in your basement for your furnance to suck up and distribute through your house when you empty the canister.

Also, they are kind of noisey, with it in our garage, we don't hear it when it is on.

Jay
Ours is in the garage 11 years now as well!

We also put a muffler on it to deaden the sound a bit. We have the car kit, and it's great as well!
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6233 posts
85 upvotes
Great. So garage is definitely the way to go then. Venting it outside from the garage would be even better but I'm not sure if my neighbours would be pleased to have my central vac dusty air blowing on in house and into his side windows...
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2835 posts
45 upvotes
mart242 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2007 9:33 am
Great. So garage is definitely the way to go then. Venting it outside from the garage would be even better but I'm not sure if my neighbours would be pleased to have my central vac dusty air blowing on in house and into his side windows...
do what you want,,, not whether the vent will bother neighbors :idea:
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3269 posts
58 upvotes
mart242 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2007 9:33 am
I really wouldn't worry about that...it's not going to be a high concentration of dust that shoots out of the vent...just enough you don't want it to go in the house. It's probably no worse then a dryer vent