• Jul 19th, 2018 8:20 am
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
142 posts
50 upvotes
Alberta

Central vacuum comparison

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know anything central vacuums? Which is better or how to tell?
I’ve been to some vacuum stores, etc. Asking about which vacuum system I should keep, but they weren’t helpful, thought I’d throw it out here to see what people think. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)
I have a central vacuum system in my house from the previous owners. It is a Beam 189d. It works really well, great suction, etc. I needed a better hose, better attachments, and something with a powerhead, so I bought the Costco Husky Sprint set for $499, just for the accessories. They are working wonderfully with my Beam system. So my question is, should I keep the Beam system and sell my new Husky? Or do you think I should put the Husky system up instead? It is compact, and the Beam is giant. Wondering if the Beam is a better option?
Thanks!!
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7135 posts
4084 upvotes
Edmonton
If you want to sell one of your units, let me know. We’ve got an old one in our basement that isn’t sucking well.

C
Jun 11, 2010
694 posts
363 upvotes
ottawa
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:39 pm
If you want to sell one of your units, let me know. We’ve got an old one in our basement that isn’t sucking well.

C
Have you replaced the filter by any chance?

I noticed mine was becoming sluggish as the filter was clogged with very fine dust. Good thing I didn't run it too long this way or the motor might've burnt out.

@OP, you could always hook up the husky and see if it gives you the same suction power, if it does and it's smaller then why not? Costco is great to deal with for warranties.
Jan 23, 2015
720 posts
247 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
teqtoke wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 5:46 pm
So my question is, should I keep the Beam system and sell my new Husky?
Thanks!!
Most definitely!! The Beam system, has one of the best central vac motors in it. Ametek-Lamb Two Stage tangential bypass motor.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
142 posts
50 upvotes
Alberta
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:39 pm
Thanks, I'll let you know. I'm in Calgary though, you are in Edm?
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
142 posts
50 upvotes
Alberta
barqers wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:05 pm
Have you replaced the filter by any chance?

I noticed mine was becoming sluggish as the filter was clogged with very fine dust. Good thing I didn't run it too long this way or the motor might've burnt out.

@OP, you could always hook up the husky and see if it gives you the same suction power, if it does and is smaller then why not? Costco is great to deal with for warranties.
Thanks for the reply, I cleaned/dusted the filter into a bag, but didn't replace it. It seems to be a cloth type, so wondering if I should wash it. The suction hasn't changed, although when I use the accessories from the husky system (on the Beam), it seems to suck better. Weird right? I'd ultimately like to keep the Husky as a backup in case the Beam breaks, but the wife doesn't want it sitting around lol
I'm not sure if I want to unmount and mount the new one just to try it, or is it super easy?
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
142 posts
50 upvotes
Alberta
Bianco13 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:02 pm
Most definitely!! The Beam system, has one of the best central vac motors in it. Ametek-Lamb Two Stage tangential bypass motor.
Thanks for the reply. This is what I need to know, if its more reliable, etc. Sometimes the older stuff works way better than the newer stuff!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7135 posts
4084 upvotes
Edmonton
teqtoke wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 3:07 pm
Thanks, I'll let you know. I'm in Calgary though, you are in Edm?
Yup.

C
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
142 posts
50 upvotes
Alberta
I just found this video, that helps me big time. Thought I'd post in case anyone was as clueless as I was lol. I too felt that huge lump in the middle and thought it was really dirty.
Jan 23, 2015
720 posts
247 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I was going to suggest that you vacuum (no need to wash) your filter with a shop vac every time you empty out the canister.

Here's a tip to removing most of the big dirt clumps stuck to the filter prior to vacuuming the filter. Take a black garbage bag, fit it around the bottom of the vacuum body. Let the air escape the bag, twist the garbage bag tight around the body hold tight using one hand. Take the other hand and reach under the bag upwards until you feel the filter. Grab the weight (the sack) in the middle of the filter, move it up and down fast, shake it side to side for a 1-2min. This will break loose the dirt stuck to the filter and it will fall into the garbage bag. Once done, wait about 30 sec with the garbage bag still tight around the vac body, so the dust will settle. Remove the garbage bag, the filter at this point should be fairly clean. Now you can vacuum the filter to remove the fine dust embedded in the cloth filter.

I hope that all made sense? :)
Nov 29, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
GTA
Hi Teqtoke, Re:
teqtoke wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 5:46 pm
...I’ve been to some vacuum stores, etc. Asking about which vacuum system I should keep, but they weren’t helpful,.
Not sure why they couldn't give you a suggestion. May be coz you went to Costco instead Vacuum store? LOL Anyways, as someone already mentioned here, Beam has a good reputation and it's one of my top recommended central vacuum. 189D is an old model & good one. "If it ain't broken why fix it" :). Depending on how old & it was taken care, any central vac can get clogged or lose a bit of suction after such time.

You can wait until your Beam dies or just use it in your garage for vacuuming your car. I can tell which is better if you give me complete spec of the Husky sprint (though I'm sure Beam is....it has 2 stage Ametek 119407-00 motor-Bianco already said it). Husky sprint? Can't find other than airways http://huskyvac.com/en/sprint/. The only good thing with buying a new unit is that you get a warranty esp. for motor. Manufacturers provide those years warranty based on their calculation & estimation of roughly how long the brushes or generally the motor will run.
Last edited by ridcvac on Feb 12th, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 23, 2015
720 posts
247 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
ridcvac wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 10:43 pm
I can tell which is better if you give me complete spec of the Husky sprint (though I'm sure Beam is....it has 2 stage Ametek 119407-00 motor-Bianco already said it). Your husky sprint? Can't find other than airways Huskyvac Sprint.
I couldn't find any specs on the motor that is in the Husky Sprint. But judging by the compact size of the unit and warranty, I would say it probably has a low end flow-thru motor.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8612 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
I've never used my central vac in the house. Instead I use my Dyson canister.

I hate the idea of having to go to the garage (cold right now) and unhooking that big canister and dumping it out. Dumping out my Dyson is much easier and lighter.

Also no need to drag the big hose around the house, then coiling it back up in the basement for storage, etc.

Is the central vac better in terms of suction power? My friend told me his Dyson was soooo much better than the house vac