• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2018 1:33 pm
Jan 23, 2015
659 posts
225 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
rfdrfd wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:40 pm
I've never used my central vac in the house. Instead I use my Dyson canister.

I hate the idea of having to go to the garage (cold right now) and unhooking that big canister and dumping it out. Dumping out my Dyson is much easier and lighter.

Also no need to drag the big hose around the house, then coiling it back up in the basement for storage, etc.

Is the central vac better in terms of suction power? My friend told me his Dyson was soooo much better than the house vac
You may like your Dyson... Me, I prefer my central vac and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Crazy suction power... Can empty out the canister every 3-4 months... The hose I find is perfectly fine to maneuver around. I have one hose that services the first and second floor, another hose strictly for the basement and another hose for the garage. Operating the system is very quiet, hardly any noise unlike a canister or upright vac.
Last but most important, 100% of the central vac's exhaust is vented outside of the living space. Means less dust, cleaner air and reduced allergies.
Nov 29, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
GTA
rfdrfd - Not everyone buys / gets the idea of central vacuum. Sometimes every house is different, so does a person and situation. Your house is roughed in and got central vac installed and never used it. That's interesting! I do some rough-ins (retrofit) into existing houses (because they want it badly and got tired of canister & upright vacuums). I even did a retractable hose system into a house that has a conventional central vac roughed-in (but owner wanted the retractable badly). It's always interesting how we are different and our situations.

Dumping out central vacuum is not as often as portable vacuum (e.g Dyson), if you talk about the weight sure. You probably will empty your central vacuum big dirt receptacle once 3-4 months (average). That's one or twice in the winter compare it to how many times we take out our garbage to garage or outside - weekly? :).

I hear about dragging the hose often some people don't like that. That's when the Retractable Hose System comes as a solution. Again, that may not be for everyone.

100% central vac is much more better than portable in-terms of suction You'll hear/read central vac makers claim at least 5X stronger.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
129 posts
38 upvotes
Alberta
Thank you everyone, for all of your help!
I went to another vacuum store, and the guy was super helpful! He explained the same as some of you have, about how to clean it properly, etc.
He also suggested I buy bags for it, I just need a small adapter piece to install onto the hose where the dirt comes in from, and the bags slip onto there. Then I wouldn't have to clean my filter as often. I do like the idea of bagless, but that filter was damn gross lol

I also threw my same delemna at him, about how I bought this whole Husky system just for the hose and power head, but he confirmed my thinking, as the exact same set without the Husky unit would cost me $449.99 at his store, and the complete Husky system I bought was only $499.99 at costco! So I've decided to sell the Husky unit without the hoses, in case anyone needs a replacement unit.
Any suggestions on how much I should ask for? I'm thinking I could easily get at least $200 for it.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
129 posts
38 upvotes
Alberta
rfdrfd wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:40 pm
I've never used my central vac in the house. Instead I use my Dyson canister.

I hate the idea of having to go to the garage (cold right now) and unhooking that big canister and dumping it out. Dumping out my Dyson is much easier and lighter.

Also no need to drag the big hose around the house, then coiling it back up in the basement for storage, etc.

Is the central vac better in terms of suction power? My friend told me his Dyson was soooo much better than the house vac
I was debating on getting the dyson, but you have to bring that around too. And you'd have to empty it more often, even if easier. If I empty my central vac cannister before winter, I'd most likely be fine for awhile, and can go do it on a warm day. Also, the big thing for me is that the central vacuum air output is in the garage, so less chance of it blowing dust/allergens into your house. Take cat dander for example, it will go right through any filter other than a HEPA filter, so basically just picking it off the ground and shooting it into the air. So you have to keep the HEPA in good condition and change regularly, etc. With the central vac blowing in the garage, I'm a little less concerned with allergens blowing around in there.
My Husky set came with a sleeve/jacket for the hose, it makes it nicer to carry and doesn't wreck the walls/furniture.
Nov 29, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
GTA
teqtoke wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:21 am
Thank you everyone, for all of your help!
I went to another vacuum store, and the guy was super helpful! He explained the same as some of you have, about how to clean it properly, etc.
He also suggested I buy bags for it, I just need a small adapter piece to install onto the hose where the dirt comes in from, and the bags slip onto there. Then I wouldn't have to clean my filter as often. I do like the idea of bagless, but that filter was damn gross lol

I also threw my same delemna at him, about how I bought this whole Husky system just for the hose and power head, but he confirmed my thinking, as the exact same set without the Husky unit would cost me $449.99 at his store, and the complete Husky system I bought was only $499.99 at costco! So I've decided to sell the Husky unit without the hoses, in case anyone needs a replacement unit.
Any suggestions on how much I should ask for? I'm thinking I could easily get at least $200 for it.
Good to hear that. There are good people I know in Calgary (vacuum shops). You will love using bags. Just remember to throw it once it's getting full don't wait until it's 100% full. You'll easily sell brand new vac at that price. Didn't offer that to the vacuum store you visited?
[OP]
Apr 13, 2015
129 posts
38 upvotes
Alberta
ridcvac wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:42 pm
Good to hear that. There are good people I know in Calgary (vacuum shops). You will love using bags. Just remember to throw it once it's getting full don't wait until it's 100% full. You'll easily sell brand new vac at that price. Didn't offer that to the vacuum store you visited?
Yeah haha, I did ask him if he's interested, he said no. He also mentioned that they don't sell Husky there, so that could be why.
And good to know about the bags. Hopefully don't have to change it too often.
Jan 15, 2010
146 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a 10 year old Beam Serenity QS Series and yesterday it stopped working; there was a burning odour in the garage so I`m expecting the worst. The warranty just expired.

If I need to replace it, can I switch to another brand without any serious reconfiguring of tubes, etc? Costco has a sale on Electrolux Central Vac Hard Floor Kit but I cannot find any detailed specs for it nor does Costco's customer service dept have any more info about the product than what is posted on their website.

And... has anyone had any experience with Electrolux Central Vacs?