Off Topic Archive

Locked: Ceragem is it a scam?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2009 7:49 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1685 posts

Ceragem is it a scam?

I know of allot of people ( mainly the elderly ) that have been attending free sessions at a clinic for bed massage therapy. The product is called Ceragem and is basically a bed that has a heated element and rollers that follow a specific track along the sides of your spine. You have to sit there for a 30 minuted discussion on the miraculous benefits of the bed including cancer cures, hemorrhoid s and more before using them for free.

I've actually tried them out a few times and it's ok I guess but I don't like the amount of pressure and preset way it runs across my spine. I've noticed no benefit at all and as far as I'm concerned; there's nothing better then good diet and exercise.

I wouldn't consider it a scam per say, I think that it could help those with lack of flexibility but there getting themselves in plenty of trouble if they start saying that it can cure 'this' and 'that'.

Texas has stopped the improper sales of these beds as well. Here is the link with hidden camera videos of the presentations but there in Spanish:
“This company made inflated and unsubstantiated claims about the benefits of its products, which were intended to exploit consumers who may have actually needed professional medical services,” said Attorney General Abbott. “This really amounted to orchestrated consumer health fraud, all without physician involvement, and I am pleased the company will cease these deceptive practices.”

The investigation alleged consumers were falsely led to believe the devices were approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for a range of ailments such as cancer, epilepsy, heart disease, ovarian cysts and other maladies. The company’s Web site also featured the deceptive use of an FDA seal and, when viewed as a whole, suggested the devices utilized methods of acupressure and acupuncture to accomplish the therapy.

Dr. Eduardo J. Sanchez, commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services, which referred this case to the Attorney General, concurred with Abbott: “Our investigators documented an alarming incidence of false health claims associated with Ceragem’s beds. Consumers should not rely on these claims. These beds are not substitutes for prescribed medicines and treatments.”

The equipment is manufactured by Ceragem Co. Ltd., of South Korea, which provides machines to Ceragem International and independent franchises. According to the investigation, distributors host up to 14 live presentations per day for up to 50 consumers each.

The Attorney General’s undercover investigation and video revealed speakers repeatedly claiming the $2,400 “Ceragem-C Thermal Massager” was instrumental in the treatment of a range of medical conditions, including diabetes and obesity. “Testimonials” about cures by previous customers were encouraged.

Although the FDA has approved the device for the temporary relief of minor muscle and joint pain, and pain associated with arthritis, the agency has not approved the device for most of the uses described by the distributors during presentations in Spanish about the product. Representations regarding the treatment and cure of diseases was evidence the company misled consumers and marketed what amounted to an illegal device.

According to the investigation, the defendants transformed retail locations into the equivalent of large therapy clinics without physicians involved at any point. The practice increased the risk to consumers who may have had serious ailments because they were led to believe the devices could take care of health problems, and as a result, they might not have sought the medical attention they actually needed.

The settlement also provides for restitution to compensate consumers for losses based on false claims about the health benefits of Ceragem’s beds.

Ceragem Co. of South Korea sells the thermal massage beds in 22 countries and supports more than 500 independent retail distributors worldwide. California-based Ceragem International, which authorizes distributorships for North America, reported sales of $18 million a year, according to a 2004 Dunn & Bradstreet report.

Consumers who purchased Ceragem thermal massage beds and have questions may call the Consumer Protection Hotline at (800) 252-8011.

Make crazy offers...worst I can say is no :) .
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1685 posts
Amourek wrote:
Oct 26th, 2007 11:54 am
Most of these inventions only work as a placebo.
Probably so. It feels good and I can see the benefits for those that do not exercise regularly but there claims are extraordinarily exaggerated to say the least.

Make crazy offers...worst I can say is no :) .
Oct 9, 2004
893 posts
It's not really a scam, they're just trying to sell u their produect before u try it.
Jul 2, 2005
283 posts
i wouldn't say its a scam either
although their sales pitch does get rather annoying.

i've been to a couple locations, and while you're on the bed a host will come up to you and start chatting slowly moving the convo to "how much this will benefit your life".

the price is rediculously expensive. i believe somewhere in the 8-10 thousand margin.

i talked to the owner of one and he told me that they paid about 100,000 just to start up the business, and for the registration fee.

what i like about it is that its a free service, but they highly recommend referrals as that only increases their traffic making it look better for potential buyers.
Aug 25, 2006
389 posts
my parents bought one after goin in for a trial after a year
and now they religious sleep/lay on it each day..

they think that they get a better nights sleep
it may be a placebo or not
Sep 15, 2007
263 posts
my mom has one, bought it 3 years ago. i believe it was around the $3k mark, waste of money if you ask me.
May 3, 2009
2 posts
Ceragem has copied the original inventor who patented the THERAPEUTIC
aspects of thier invention.
There are many copies of this product but they are just massage beds.
The original invention restores health by stimulation the nervous and lymphatic systems and detoxifying the with the 12 therapies provided by the bed. - this bed has 50 global medical certifications and is a therapeutic healing devise. :razz: ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3541 posts
yea my mom has one of these...i don't know what other people are expecting out of it, but it's pretty much just a massaging bed...same reason why someone would buy a massaging chair, you don't expect the chair to do extraordinary things other than massage and make you comfortable. i use it sometimes when i feel sore after doing stuff and it makes me feel better
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9357 posts
Eh.. My mom bought one too... Noooo.. actually My sister and I was forced into buying one for me

She uses it everyday and says that it does wonders so as long as she's happy with it.
× < >