Personal Finance

Locked: CERB question - is my wife eligible?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2021 1:17 pm
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto

CERB question - is my wife eligible?

SOLVED PLEASE DELETE
Last edited by riseagainstthemachine on Feb 5th, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got that FIDO account!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3499 posts
1688 upvotes
Mississauga
Did she make at least $5,000 in either 2019 or 2020 and report this figure on her taxes to the CRA?

If she did, she should be eligible.

Here are the requirements for the Canada Recovery Benefit: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... apply.html

If she can confidently say yes to all of those questions, then she should be eligible for it.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
input wrote: Did she make at least $5,000 in either 2019 or 2020 and report this figure on her taxes to the CRA?

Here are the requirements for the Canada Recovery Benefit: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... apply.html

If she can confidently say yes to all of those questions, then she should be eligible for it.
Yes she has the income for that. I see that I was looking at the page for CERB and not CRB that you posted, thanks for the link.

Or is it this I need to apply for?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... nefit.html
Got that FIDO account!
May 12, 2003
371 posts
262 upvotes
GTA
If she's taking time off from work to take care of your daughter, then it doesn't appear that she would be eligible.

Basically, did the "VOLUNTARILY" reduce her hours, or did her workplace reduce her hours. That should be question you ask
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
ssj4_ootaku1 wrote: If she's taking time off from work to take care of your daughter, then it doesn't appear that she would be eligible.

Basically, did the "VOLUNTARILY" reduce her hours, or did her workplace reduce her hours. That should be question you ask
ah ok, she did it so she could be home with our daughter. the only other options would be to pay a nanny to come in and look after her but we dont want to do that with covid or to take her to my mother but its a long drive everyday for that.

thanks for clearing that up, I just dont want to break the rules ect. ok, close it up.
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
ssj4_ootaku1 wrote: If she's taking time off from work to take care of your daughter, then it doesn't appear that she would be eligible.

riseagainstthemachine wrote:
ah ok, she did it so she could be home with our daughter. the only other options would be to pay a nanny to come in and look after her but we dont want to do that with covid or to take her to my mother but its a long drive everyday for that.

thanks for clearing that up, I just dont want to break the rules ect. ok, close it up.
I don't know if your correct as it states this

You were unable to work because of COVID-19, for example because you were taking care of someone

So it's kinda vauge on what that means, she was taking care of her daughter due to covid-19 ( ie daycare closed, dont want nanny in the house to add more exposure)

Which I think it would qualify as the
Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit would allow it.

The bigger problem is even if you qualify how you going to apply? The program stopped taking applications in December 2020

If you wife is still off check out the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit

The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are unable to work because they must care for their child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care. This applies if their school, regular program or facility is closed or unavailable to them due to COVID-19, or because they are sick, self-isolating, or at risk of serious health complications due to COVID-19.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
xiaobao wrote: I don't know if your correct as it states this

You were unable to work because of COVID-19, for example because you were taking care of someone

So it's kinda vauge on what that means, she was taking care of her daughter due to covid-19 ( ie daycare closed, dont want nanny in the house to add more exposure)

Which I think it would qualify as the
Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit would allow it.

The bigger problem is even if you qualify how you going to apply? The program stopped taking applications in December 2020

If you wife is still off check out the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit

The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are unable to work because they must care for their child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care. This applies if their school, regular program or facility is closed or unavailable to them due to COVID-19, or because they are sick, self-isolating, or at risk of serious health complications due to COVID-19.
I saw that but the last sentence is the one that I dont get. my daughter is 22 months old, she was not in school, daycare facility ect. if they ask for proof that the place she was going to closed we have no proof.
Got that FIDO account!
Jan 28, 2019
442 posts
209 upvotes
input wrote: Did she make at least $5,000 in either 2019 or 2020 and report this figure on her taxes to the CRA?

does she qualify for EI? if yes then there is no cerb
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I saw that but the last sentence is the one that I dont get. my daughter is 22 months old, she was not in school, daycare facility ect. if they ask for proof that the place she was going to closed we have no proof.
Have you tried to phone in EI and explain the situation and see what they say.

Before covid who was taking care of your daughter? Where you just wrapping up maturity leave?