Careers

Certain jobs are paying so much less and require higher education now?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 11:15 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--

Certain jobs are paying so much less and require higher education now?

Desperate to get out of what I’m doing I applied to a couple companies that had realistic expectations and an expected salary for the job (45-65k/year)

But I find it both worrying and funny how there’s company’s saying minimum you need a masters or crazy university courses for a 34K/year job.

What gives? It’s not like the job is overly technical (maybe it is?)
26 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
99% of all the high school kids don't want to work hard and so they go to college or university now to get some sort of basket weaving degree.

Thus, pay goes down and requirements go up.
34k you can do in 2 months in the trades if you work hard (I'm not talking some super high position or anything, just a regular Joe certified trades worker). I cant believe someone would work all year for that kind of money
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
tmkf_patryk wrote: 99% of all the high school kids don't want to work hard and so they go to college or university now to get some sort of basket weaving degree.

Thus, pay goes down and requirements go up.
34k you can do in 2 months in the trades if you work hard (I'm not talking some super high position or anything, just a regular Joe certified trades worker). I cant believe someone would work all year for that kind of money
What kind of trade pays that... sounds a bit delusional to be honest
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
$34k is very close to minimum wage.

Are some fund accountants still paid that much, right out of university?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Considering you don't state what the job is, it's pretty hard for someone to give much relevant feedback...

C
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Most jobs are like this, I'm in accounting and for A/R clerks soon they will be asking for degrees, the more people that have that education the more of a requirement it becomes such as patryk said above. I only have a college diploma and I'm 2-3 levels above A/R & A/P clerks and I'm going back to school just ein case any other opportunities arise I'll need a degree minimum not to mention any other qualifications.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Zombly wrote: Most jobs are like this, I'm in accounting and for A/R clerks soon they will be asking for degrees, the more people that have that education the more of a requirement it becomes such as patryk said above. I only have a college diploma and I'm 2-3 levels above A/R & A/P clerks and I'm going back to school just ein case any other opportunities arise I'll need a degree minimum not to mention any other qualifications.
If you plan to stay in this field, I highly recommend you get a degree, in order to get your CPA.
Without a CPA, you will have a hard time moving to a different organization.
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
vkizzle wrote: If you plan to stay in this field, I highly recommend you get a degree, in order to get your CPA.
Without a CPA, you will have a hard time moving to a different organization.
I'm not sure on current CPA requirements but don't think my work experience would classify. I don't plan on leaving my work type in this field, and the roles I'll be advancing are more operational than accounting so no CPA required. If my plans don't come as planned I will think about the CPA. Just turned 28 and there's not a lot of decent paying work where I live so my lifestyle is currently not to bad considering the averageish salary ~60Kish. Any of the CPA roles are all filled and in my industry (non-profit government) no new roles will be created until they leave and I doubt any will be leaving.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Zombly wrote: I'm not sure on current CPA requirements but don't think my work experience would classify. I don't plan on leaving my work type in this field, and the roles I'll be advancing are more operational than accounting so no CPA required. If my plans don't come as planned I will think about the CPA. Just turned 28 and there's not a lot of decent paying work where I live so my lifestyle is currently not to bad considering the averageish salary ~60Kish. Any of the CPA roles are all filled and in my industry (non-profit government) no new roles will be created until they leave and I doubt any will be leaving.
There's definitely an advantage staying with your current organization and being grandfathered into more senior roles.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
vkizzle wrote: There's definitely an advantage staying with your current organization and being grandfathered into more senior roles.
It’s good when your employer pays for your school like mine did. It’s hell when they pass over you every single time because one person in management doesn’t like you for whatever reason and then they pick the ones who have only been there for a year or 2 with no educational background in the field.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
XtremeModder wrote: It’s good when your employer pays for your school like mine did. It’s hell when they pass over you every single time because one person in management doesn’t like you for whatever reason and then they pick the ones who have only been there for a year or 2 with no educational background in the field.
I agree 100%.
As you climb the ranks, it is who you know and not what you know!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
vkizzle wrote: I agree 100%.
As you climb the ranks, it is who you know and not what you know!
Yep. Had an interview today that I believe went pretty well, all because I know someone pretty high up in the company (who was part of that interview). Fingers crossed that I move to the next round as it sounds like a pretty good job / career path and will be very different from what I do for a living now.
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
XtremeModder wrote: Yep. Had an interview today that I believe went pretty well, all because I know someone pretty high up in the company (who was part of that interview). Fingers crossed that I move to the next round as it sounds like a pretty good job / career path and will be very different from what I do for a living now.
This is always so useful, almost got a job in a completely different field because of that. Unfortunately, someone extremely qualified and knowledgeable about the work type was hired which I'm not. The power of networking.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
XtremeModder wrote: What kind of trade pays that... sounds a bit delusional to be honest
There's a whole bunch. But like I said gotta work hard for it. There are 1400 trades people, maybe 1200 full certified making 4 grand a week here. Multiply that by 8 weeks (2 months) and that's 32 grand.

But sure it's delusional, what do I know
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: There's a whole bunch. But like I said gotta work hard for it. There are 1400 trades people, maybe 1200 full certified making 4 grand a week here. Multiply that by 8 weeks (2 months) and that's 32 grand.

But sure it's delusional, what do I know
I can't lie. I prefer my ivory tower. But you do you bro. If you ever need an accountant hit me up! lol
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
MyNameWasTaken wrote: I can't lie. I prefer my ivory tower. But you do you bro. If you ever need an accountant hit me up! lol
I could use one for the following year and would like to meet one up before that to get some stuff done. you in edmonton?
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Desperate to get out of what I’m doing I applied to a couple companies that had realistic expectations and an expected salary for the job (45-65k/year)

But I find it both worrying and funny how there’s company’s saying minimum you need a masters or crazy university courses for a 34K/year job.

What gives? It’s not like the job is overly technical (maybe it is?)
Do you at least have a link?
Dec 11, 2013
817 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: 99% of all the high school kids don't want to work hard and so they go to college or university now to get some sort of basket weaving degree.
I would say it's more that most parents and schools tell kids that they need to go to be successful in life. Trades are looked down on, regardless of whether you can make money or not.

The laid-back attitude comes from the environment and the course schedules.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
JFlash20 wrote: I would say it's more that most parents and schools tell kids that they need to go to be successful in life. Trades are looked down on, regardless of whether you can make money or not.

The laid-back attitude comes from the environment and the course schedules.
I was in same boat. Parents wanted me to go to uni. I went and finished uni. Then went into the trades. Best decision I have done. Wish i knew earlier.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Gboard2 wrote: Do you at least have a link?
Go look up on indeed any job relating to working in a warehouse or anything else that doesn’t involve skills (I’m going for higher positions which I have both the school and experience, but apparently it’s never enough).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)