• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2011 7:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
13 posts

CGA to become CA

I am currently looking at the opportunities of becoming a CA with a CGA designation. Can someone give me some advice as to what is the best (faster and more cost- effective) route to take? In my opinion, the alternative routes are:

(1) get an evaluation from CICA, complete their courses, pass the UFE and satisfy their work experience (longer route), and

(2) pass one US State ( not chosen yet ? ) CPA exam, pass the mutual recognition exam and obtain CA designation

Thanks in advance
17 replies
Sep 16, 2008
725 posts
16 upvotes
Route 1.

For route 2, you must have been residing for 2-3 years outside of Canada prior to taking the CPA exam and satisfy the work experience requirement for both the selected US state board/provincial CA institute.

The AICPA/CICA mutual recognition is mainly for "authentic" US CPAs and not foreign based CPAs.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
13 posts
dandy2008 wrote:
May 23rd, 2011 6:55 am
Route 1.

For route 2, you must have been residing for 2-3 years outside of Canada prior to taking the CPA exam and satisfy the work experience requirement for both the selected US state board/provincial CA institute.

The AICPA/CICA mutual recognition is mainly for "authentic" US CPAs and not foreign based CPAs.

Dandy,

Route (1), any idea how much time it will take to complete ? Has anyone been through that process before who can share experience ?

Route (2), is it a prerequisite to have resided 2-3 years outside of Canada prior to taking the exam to qualify for reciprocity ? Is it similar for all states regarding the residing requirement? I do know that each state has different educational and experience requirements.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6693 posts
186 upvotes
Hi,

Are you earning a decent salary with your CGA designation? If you choose to go get your CA now, you might be downgrading for the next couple of years as you're going to need to get into a public accounting firm to get your hours. It will take a few years in order to satisfy the hours requirement so it's no easy task. It also depends on your age because if you have a family and kids to look after, you're going to be MIA on many nights as you're at the clients trying to finish your work. It's no easy task but if you're still young, I would say it's worth it to get it. I am finishing up my CGA and I thought about doing a CA but it's just not worth my time to get it anymore. Same for the corporate controller at my company. He's a CGA and also thought about getting a CA at one point. He realized he was too far into his career to take a step back and make significantly less than what he is doing as a controller and as a director of finance at his previous employment. I guess it all comes down to what you're really looking to achieve. You can't go wrong getting a CA designation but it's hard work.

Not sure about the requirements for outside of Canada question.

Good luck!
shu0035 wrote:
May 23rd, 2011 7:33 pm
Dandy,

Route (1), any idea how much time it will take to complete ? Has anyone been through that process before who can share experience ?

Route (2), is it a prerequisite to have resided 2-3 years outside of Canada prior to taking the exam to qualify for reciprocity ? Is it similar for all states regarding the residing requirement? I do know that each state has different educational and experience requirements.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 24, 2007
439 posts
25 upvotes
London
Curious to posters in this thread.

Why do you want a CA when you've already got a CGA already? Is there something you can't do (e.g. promotion, function) with a CGA that you can with a CA?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6775 posts
271 upvotes
Ottawa
funnykid wrote:
May 23rd, 2011 9:37 pm
Curious to posters in this thread.

Why do you want a CA when you've already got a CGA already? Is there something you can't do (e.g. promotion, function) with a CGA that you can with a CA?

Pretty much none other than brand recognition that a CA is "superior". With the new law that will probably get passed with all accountants (CA/CGA/CMA's) signing off on audits mean that anybody can do what has been traditionally held in ON by CA's. Another reason is climbing that damn ladder as a lot of stigma that CGA/CMA's aren't as "good" as their CA counterpart. I'm of the mindset I want smart people and not what letters you got after your name but that's just me.
Jul 30, 2011
11 posts
MISSISSAUGA
shu0035 wrote:
May 23rd, 2011 12:32 am
I am currently looking at the opportunities of becoming a CA with a CGA designation. Can someone give me some advice as to what is the best (faster and more cost- effective) route to take? In my opinion, the alternative routes are:

(1) get an evaluation from CICA, complete their courses, pass the UFE and satisfy their work experience (longer route), and

(2) pass one US State ( not chosen yet ? ) CPA exam, pass the mutual recognition exam and obtain CA designation

Thanks in advance

Hello shu0035,

I was wondeing if you were able to find additional information on what the process to becoming a CA with a CGA designation is. I am waiting for my CGA designation and would like to explore the possibility of becoming a CA as well.

I am also unable to obtain information on what the criteria for exemption from CKE and/or SOA for CGAs/CMAs is, as mentioned on the ICAO's website.

I would greatly appreciate your help if you could share your experience so far.

Thank you in advance.
Aug 22, 2007
752 posts
31 upvotes
Despite the juvenile opinions and arguments around the whole CA vs CMA vs. CGA, it is the quality of an individual's professional experience and personality that matter. The letters tend to be the minimum requirement not some magical silver-bullet. It just so happens that each offer a certain specialization, but there are plenty of exceptions.

Things like job promotion, salary negotiation, and career progression all heavily depend on an individuals personality and how effectively they market and sell themselves. If an employer or manager is telling you the ONLY thing in your way is the designation (and not work experience or quality of work), it is an excuse.
Sep 16, 2008
725 posts
16 upvotes
Estrella1 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2011 7:39 pm
Hello shu0035,

I am also unable to obtain information on what the criteria for exemption from CKE and/or SOA for CGAs/CMAs is, as mentioned on the ICAO's website.

http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/CGAsCM ... e1355.aspx

"A CGA or CMA who is registered with the Institute must have successfully completed the 51 credit-hour requirement and obtained the minimum grade point average of B- or equivalent in order to establish eligibility for or to be granted exemption from the Institute’s professional program consisting of the Core-Knowledge Examination and the School of Accountancy."
Jul 30, 2011
11 posts
MISSISSAUGA
dandy2008 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2011 8:25 am
http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/CGAsCM ... e1355.aspx

"A CGA or CMA who is registered with the Institute must have successfully completed the 51 credit-hour requirement and obtained the minimum grade point average of B- or equivalent in order to establish eligibility for or to be granted exemption from the Institute’s professional program consisting of the Core-Knowledge Examination and the School of Accountancy."

Thanks a lot for the response, however, in my understanding, the above establishes eligibility to apply for the exemptions but does not detail when each is actually granted. That is, I am interested in what the conditions are to get both exemptions, rather than only one; or said in other words, when can I be declined an exemption from SOA if I have completed all of the above requirements. I was looking for additional info, perhaps someone that has already gone this path.
Sep 16, 2008
725 posts
16 upvotes
Estrella1 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2011 10:43 pm
Thanks a lot for the response, however, in my understanding, the above establishes eligibility to apply for the exemptions but does not detail when each is actually granted. That is, I am interested in what the conditions are to get both exemptions, rather than only one; or said in other words, when can I be declined an exemption from SOA if I have completed all of the above requirements. I was looking for additional info, perhaps someone that has already gone this path.

I believe there is a member (Ruchir) who has taken this route.
Jan 29, 2010
155 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
I also don't understand why you want a CA after a CGA. I understand wanting a CA instead of a CGA if you have no designations yet. But the work experience you need, you're downgrading (since after you've gotten your CGA, you should be earning quite a bit compared to a 1st yr auditor already). Also, you may find that it's difficult to find positions that will get your the work experience given you've gotten a lot of work experience already and probably is seen as overqualified.
Jul 30, 2011
11 posts
MISSISSAUGA
jillaryit wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2011 12:56 am
I also don't understand why you want a CA after a CGA. I understand wanting a CA instead of a CGA if you have no designations yet. But the work experience you need, you're downgrading (since after you've gotten your CGA, you should be earning quite a bit compared to a 1st yr auditor already). Also, you may find that it's difficult to find positions that will get your the work experience given you've gotten a lot of work experience already and probably is seen as overqualified.

Yes, these are all true statements and I need to carefully consider their ompact on my family's well-being, however turning now to the CA designation is because it is the internationally recognized. All my family is back in Europe and I would like to keep all doors open should we decide to move back there. I don't think I would want to do this otherwise. Any help with my query will be greatly appreciated.
Sep 16, 2008
725 posts
16 upvotes
Estrella1 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2011 9:40 am
Yes, these are all true statements and I need to carefully consider their ompact on my family's well-being, however turning now to the CA designation is because it is the internationally recognized. All my family is back in Europe and I would like to keep all doors open should we decide to move back there. I don't think I would want to do this otherwise. Any help with my query will be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps this post might change your mind.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-j ... st13229860
Apr 23, 2009
577 posts
39 upvotes
Thanks Dandy. Yes, I am both a CGA and CA but I did them both simultaneously (sounds very stupid but I had my personal reasons). I wrote my final PA1 and UFE in the same year. I wrote CKE, SOA and UFE so no I did not take CGA route.

I would suggest OP (if he really wants CA) write SOA and UFE. SOA IMO is absolutely essential to prepare for UFE. Without SOA experience, there would be a risk that he may have to write UFE again.

Regardless, OP will just do fine without a CA since he is already a CGA.
dandy2008 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2011 11:28 pm
I believe there is a member (Ruchir) who has taken this route.
× < >