• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 4:20 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 4, 2017
173 posts
124 upvotes
I don't really have a set price in mind. But if it looks like it has bottomed, I am going to put in 50 shares. If it goes down more, I will put in another 50.

Anyone brave enough to short it at this price? :D
Mar 3, 2011
10 posts
1 upvote
same here, i have been holding my shares for the last couple years, Considering the dividends i received along the way, i am even at this moment. But still feel shocking about such big drop in a quite short time period.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1023 posts
182 upvotes
Ontario
asa1973 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 3:05 pm
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/investin ... #p28132222

with 5y "normal" P/E for it as 32.7 it's quite fairly valued for now, despite higher the TSX average P/E of ~18.

Quiet good buying opportunity for DI portfolio now, imo
I don't think you can apply that to this stock. This isn't JNJ. The past five years it has a higher P/E because it was growing. The PE needs to adjust for its new reality. There's plenty more room for it to fall IMO
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1433 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
llpresident wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 4:33 pm
I don't think you can apply that to this stock. This isn't JNJ. The past five years it has a higher P/E because it was growing. The PE needs to adjust for its new reality. There's plenty more room for it to fall IMO
Yea looks like it can drop more ,maybe worth a look at 5-6% dividend yield.
Apr 9, 2012
435 posts
119 upvotes
Markham
The question is at 5-6 div yield. Can cgx sustain it with the expansion. They might end up cutting div to support the growth.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4484 posts
2215 upvotes
Bought majority of shares at $21 back in 2011... sold at $45 a couple of weeks ago.

Now at $35 so fast I dunno may get back in.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3791 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 12:00 am
Bought majority of shares at $21 back in 2011... sold at $45 a couple of weeks ago.

Now at $35 so fast I dunno may get back in.

What reasons made you sell?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4484 posts
2215 upvotes
boyohboy wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 12:27 am
What reasons made you sell?
I'll be honest I wanted to sell for a while since it's been sideways for a long time (missing out on other growth)... then I realized just like others, too much capex spending, divi is too high, risky divisification... also no one mentioned but $15 per hour wage coming in 2019 in Oct their biggest hub -- thats 30% increase in wages which they wont be able to offset very easily.

So I decided time to cut bait -- personally I thought I was selling near the bottom of the sell off but it just keeps going down and down.. now at $35 I dont know but dividend will be in danger with their capex spending on growth.

Im mostly relying on their fall movies which should do well (Lego Ninjago, Kingsmen sequel, American Made with Tom Cruise, Blade Runner sequel, Geostrom, Thor, Daddy's Home 2, Coco (Disney animated), Justice League, Star Wars, Jumaji, Pitch Perfect 3.

Star Wars alone should go gangbusters business.

So anyones guess... also some people scared they may have reached peak growth... VIP is done... UltraAVX is done... IMAX is done. 4DX has potential. We'll have to see...
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4166 posts
1167 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Their Q2 report showed increased box office & concession per customer, just a decline in customers in seats (more like '15 than '16). The movie release schedule this year has been so packed that I think it's had the effect where people either didn't know what they wanted to see more, or by the time they went to see something it was out of theatres already because the next thing was out. That happened to me with a couple. Releases in Q3/Q4, as noted above, look like they have good potential, and there's some good stuff slated for Q1/Q2 2018 too (Black Panther, A Wrinkle in Time, Han Solo, Avengers, and that's just Disney). Even with 3D finally declining, big releases = butts in seats = more concession revenue + now beer/wine/cider.

I think the forward earnings potential is there, even if not massive YoY growth. Their dividend payout ratio is something like ~60%, so I'm not worried about them having to cut dividends anytime soon. A good monthly dividend is actually one of the big attractions of this stock for certain investors, so I think they're going to continue its steady increase. There'd have to be a huge disruptive revenue drop for them not to be able to cover it.
Jan 27, 2016
148 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I personally wouldn't touch this play, just not my niche in stocks i buy...but isnt their biggest threat that Apple wants to get rights to show movies in peoples homes? I was hearing $50 USD will allow you to watch the movie in your own home.

Also that bar/video game place they opened in toronto seems to always be super busy
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4166 posts
1167 upvotes
Kingston, ON
loopy1984 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 9:54 am
I personally wouldn't touch this play, just not my niche in stocks i buy...but isnt their biggest threat that Apple wants to get rights to show movies in peoples homes? I was hearing $50 USD will allow you to watch the movie in your own home.

Also that bar/video game place they opened in toronto seems to always be super busy
New release movies at home is great for people with homes and nice home theatre setups, but there's always going to be a market for the big screen experience, imo.
Jan 27, 2016
148 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I agree with you, but if that happens it will def take a bite out of sales for theatres
Jul 28, 2007
73 posts
8 upvotes
been looking at CGX for a while, finally bought some with the early morning swing.

we all know it's not cheap stock and all the issues surrounding it but I think it went down too much too quick, if it goes back in the mid 40s I'll dump what I bought otherwise I like having a 4.5-5% yielder in my portfolio
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3505 posts
591 upvotes
Alberta
spongewen wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 4:30 pm
same here, i have been holding my shares for the last couple years, Considering the dividends i received along the way, i am even at this moment. But still feel shocking about such big drop in a quite short time period.
x2. Been holding mine for awhile and averaging at $20.61. It's a hold for me. Not buying anymore, I'm not sold on this new Rec Room thing.
Aug 16, 2015
141 posts
12 upvotes
Kind of a dying industry IMO.
Not much point in going to the movies now with technology so good, TVs, blue ray quality etc. I can lay in my bed and watch whatever I want.
Usually a bad experience going, especially if it's crowded. They can shove their 10 dollar popcorn where the sun don't shine.

But Im sure they will always have the younger crowd going to watch stuff.