Food & Drink

Which chain was the least deserving of its opening hype?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2018 1:58 pm

Poll: Which chain was the least deserving of its opening hype?

• Total votes: 70. You have voted on this poll.
Blaze Pizza

3%
Cheesecake Factory

14%
Five Guys

3%
In-N-Out (2014 popup)

0%
Jollibee

30%
Krispy Kreme

11%
Momofuku

7%
Shake Shack (2017 popup)

0%
Uncle Tetsu/Love Me Sweet

30%
Other (please post)

1%
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Note the lack of negative posts about Tetsu but a lot of talk about Jollibee and Krispy Kreme!
Well, what is there to say, really? It's just some dessert place, there are thousands of them. There's nothing wrong with the food, it's not controversial, but it's nothing special. It's just that this one is trying to cash in on the whole "Japanese is premium" thing. I don't see why anyone would get excited about it or why it's worth talking about more than any other bakery.

Jollibee (which I haven't been to, and will have to determine its nastiness level at a later date) is at least worth the conversation.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Throwing another name in the burger category: Wahlburgers

Their opening had added hype with Mark, Donnie and Jenny McCarthy showing up with a red carpet affair. This place was rammed the first few days, but quickly died down. They were very pricey for what they were selling and charged a mandatory 18% gratuity while offering nothing different than any other burger place. Since then their prices have come down (still top end of the burger market, but seeing that they are in a tourist trap-ish area, it's not bad for the neighborhood) and gratuity is optional.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote: You have a "professional" responsibility (even if you don't get paid) as food sampler or "food critic" as you like to call yourself in your signature to not dismiss entire cuisines but rather individual dishes produced by individual restaurants on their merits. Have you ever encountered any respected food critics who would publicly make a blanket statement about a cuisine?
It sounds like you're maybe taking her "food critic" thing way more seriously than even she does. I get the impression it's more a hobby or something she does for fun rather than some kind of professional responsibility. If you look at it that way, her opinion and what she said is not at all outrageous or worth the amount of effort you're putting behind your argument
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
antihero wrote: You have a "professional" responsibility (even if you don't get paid) as food sampler or "food critic" as you like to call yourself in your signature to not dismiss entire cuisines but rather individual dishes produced by individual restaurants on their merits. Have you ever encountered any respected food critics who would publicly make a blanket statement about a cuisine?
Raggie wrote: Like I said, if you want to pay me to eat and review Filipino food and Jollibee, I'll consider it. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. But it's not coming out of my pocket or time.

But other than that... Are you done with your rant? You're really giving me a headache.
Raggie wrote: Umm no, as an individual, whether I have a blog or not, I'm under no obligation to try something I have no desire to.
And yes, I've been on here many times stating my dislike for certain places, food and dishes and pissed many people off. If they can't handle what I like and what I "hate", then that's too bad. The world won't stop revolving over my opinion.
And no, I'm still not going to try Jollibee, let alone review Filipino food just because you're offended. Again, if you can't handle this then you have problems and need to deal with it somehow or seek help. Afterall, I am only a stranger to you on the internet and it's kind of nuts, almost deranged that you've taken such an "interest" in only my opinion. For someone who doesn't care about my opinion, you're the one calling me an "important food sampler". You're so full of contradictions, I'm getting confused on whether you care about my opinion or not.
I guess this must be the fifth time I've repeated myself... I'm sounding like a broken record.
Let's take "Filipino" out of the equation and go with "meat". Let's say a food critic were vegetarian. I don't think anybody would fault such a critic for refusing to review, say, Jacob's Steakhouse. What would be the point, he/she hates most of the menu anyway, and forcing this reviewer to eat there won't change that. Jacob's would get an unfairly bad review if this critic were forced there.

I don't think Raggie has done any wrong. I don't think critics willingly go to places they KNOW they hate, unless they have a chip on their shoulder and want to rip apart a place that his/her rivals love (Joanne Kates has been known to do this, long threads elsewhere on a certain bad Japanese place).
ReeGee wrote: It sounds like you're maybe taking her "food critic" thing way more seriously than even she does. I get the impression it's more a hobby or something she does for fun rather than some kind of professional responsibility. If you look at it that way, her opinion and what she said is not at all outrageous or worth the amount of effort you're putting behind your argument
You beat me to it, couldn't have said it better myself :-)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
ReeGee wrote: It sounds like you're maybe taking her "food critic" thing way more seriously than even she does. I get the impression it's more a hobby or something she does for fun rather than some kind of professional responsibility. If you look at it that way, her opinion and what she said is not at all outrageous or worth the amount of effort you're putting behind your argument
Thank you. If antihero would take that chip off his shoulder, and read the about me page on the blog, this is exactly what it states.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Manatus wrote: Well, what is there to say, really? It's just some dessert place, there are thousands of them. There's nothing wrong with the food, it's not controversial, but it's nothing special. It's just that this one is trying to cash in on the whole "Japanese is premium" thing. I don't see why anyone would get excited about it or why it's worth talking about more than any other bakery.

Jollibee (which I haven't been to, and will have to determine its nastiness level at a later date) is at least worth the conversation.
Tetsu is the ultimate in one-trick pony. They have just ONE item on their menu (well, maybe 2 or 3 if you count the different flavours of cheesecake... but those are only offered downtown).

The "thousands of dessert places" tend to have a decent menu of items to choose from. Caffe Demetre (for a chain) and Poop Cafe (for a local place) come to mind here - lots of cakes, ice creams/frozen yogurt/sundaes/shakes, waffles, cookies/macarons, coffees, etc.

You can't put Tetsu in the same category as Demetre.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Also they only hire teenagers and have insane minimum-wage turnover.. I'd rather see long-term staff that are there all the time. Hiring those quick teenage workers is a terrible idea for a place that depends on cooking and prepping raw meats from scratch, they should be at something like a McDonalds or KFC
At least McDonald's and KFC pay their employees, unlike these guys:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/08/02/ ... s-ordered/
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... 00000-for/

Glad to see these scumbags thrown into the joint for that.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Chickinvic wrote:
Why? I couldn't even begin to get offered just because someone else hated a particular cuisine. Who cares?

PS - sushi is nasty!
Oh no, we usu agree on many things.

Well, I like to think that when I post it's as if I'm 'talking' to someone irl...so would someone really say to another "your freaking food is NASTY!"? Ofc not unless they are an unwashed, tactless jerk. Unfortunately, here online and esp in RFD, we somehow attract A LOT of these types of jerks (my theory is that cheap ppl are prone to have lousier personalities but I digress) that just feel it's alright to outright offend ppl outta nowhere.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
UrbanPoet wrote: Indeed... One of those human nature things. Better to be polite. But sometimes don't you want to trash something you hate?

I met some very kind, rational, well educated people who, ive heard call kathleen wynne a stupid monkey out of outrage of her political policies. They could have just politely critiqued the inadequacies of her politics. But no he calld her a ****!
It depends on context, doesn't it? For example, take an easy one, living in late 30s/early 40s, it'll be ok to say "man, that Hitler is a @#$@#%!#$", vs critiquing part of someone's cultural identity, maybe go just a wee bit less hard lol.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Jollibees and uncle tetsu - both overpriced garbage. $20 bucks for small tiny 6" cheesecake? Haha. NEXT.

Popeyes is becoming overpriced garbage as well. Not so much the actual pricing but bcuz the employees are cheap af... like on thurs 3 piece special for $5.79, there's always one cheap af employee who will throw in an over fried shrunken tiny piece of wing or drumstick that's like 2 inches. You cant pick and choose which pieces you want or it's "extra" even tho there's like 200 pieces on the rack and its not even busy. *azz shats* I must admit this is where Jollibees is better as their thighs and drumsticks are all consistent sizing.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8587 posts
5370 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Jollibees and uncle tetsu - both overpriced garbage. $20 bucks for small tiny 6" cheesecake? Haha. NEXT.

Popeyes is becoming overpriced garbage as well. Not so much the actual pricing but bcuz the employees are cheap af... like on thurs 3 piece special for $5.79, there's always one cheap af employee who will throw in an over fried shrunken tiny piece of wing or drumstick that's like 2 inches. You cant pick and choose which pieces you want or it's "extra" even tho there's like 200 pieces on the rack and its not even busy. *azz shats* I must admit this is where Jollibees is better as their thighs and drumsticks are all consistent sizing.
Its $10 for a 7" cheesecake at Uncle Tetsu
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
Jolibee is popular here in Winnipeg by guess who? Filipinos. It's like their McDonalds. If you were going in thinking it was anything other than that, it's your own fault.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
tranquility922 wrote: Oh no, we usu agree on many things.

Well, I like to think that when I post it's as if I'm 'talking' to someone irl...so would someone really say to another "your freaking food is NASTY!"? Ofc not unless they are an unwashed, tactless jerk. Unfortunately, here online and esp in RFD, we somehow attract A LOT of these types of jerks (my theory is that cheap ppl are prone to have lousier personalities but I digress) that just feel it's alright to outright offend ppl outta nowhere.
Hehe, I figured I would throw the sushi comment in there for fun since so many people love the stuff. It isn't for me, but I know it isn't "nasty" lol.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
aznnorth wrote: Jollibees and uncle tetsu - both overpriced garbage. $20 bucks for small tiny 6" cheesecake? Haha. NEXT.

I find Popeyes overpriced and over-rated. There, I said it lol.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Chickinvic wrote: Hehe, I figured I would throw the sushi comment in there for fun since so many people love the stuff. It isn't for me, but I know it isn't "nasty" lol.
I don't like sushi either, if you see me eating, it'll only be the cooked shrimp and cucumber/radish rolls lol.

Raw stuff is just NASTY …(j/k lmao)....ahem....not my taste :D
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Tetsu is the ultimate in one-trick pony. They have just ONE item on their menu (well, maybe 2 or 3 if you count the different flavours of cheesecake... but those are only offered downtown).
Another brand new Japanese cake place is opening up on Bloor near Spadina soon. Anyone have any information on this one? Is it anything like Tetsu?
I'm guessing it's an independent opening up trying to cash in on the demand...if the demand is still alive today...(?)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Another brand new Japanese cake place is opening up on Bloor near Spadina soon. Anyone have any information on this one? Is it anything like Tetsu?
You mean this? Not like Tetsu at all:

https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/0 ... place.html

Love Me Sweet (from Taiwan?) is the closest clone to Tetsu, the taste is almost identical, LMS are slightly heavier/more dense:

https://lovemesweet.ca/#location-section
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Krispy Kreme? I have never eaten their donuts, but I remember people being really excited. Now, I rarely hear the name mentioned.
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
230 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
duckdown wrote: my wife waited hilariously long in the jollibee heartland line, like 45 minutes or something, all because some girl she worked with insisted it was worth it.. not sure how it has such a ridiculous die hard following as i thought it was bad from both a food standpoint (yum burger i'd go so far as to say disgusting) and value standpoint. Lol for the fried chicken they only have legs and thighs and no ability to customize the pieces even if you're willing to pay more. spaghetti bastardization thing actually tastes pretty good but it made me laugh out loud when i saw it..

peach mango pie was good but it's a fried pie for christs sake..

I voted for Krispy Kreme. It is just a glazed doughnut that tastes just like any other glazed doughnut, except sweeter, and where's the hole? I need a hole in my doughnut. :facepalm: Lastly, Country Style has the best doughnuts Coffeetime has the worst.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
baz5 wrote: Jolibee is popular here in Winnipeg by guess who? Filipinos. It's like their McDonalds. If you were going in thinking it was anything other than that, it's your own fault.
It's really more like their Tim Horton's since there's that "patriotism" angle to it. I don't think Americans feel patriotic towards McDonald's the way (some) Canadians do towards Tim's and (some) Filipinos do towards Jollibee.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)