Shopping Discussion

Which chain store do you boycott/hate the most?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2010 12:56 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: ...

• Total votes: 139. You have voted on this poll.
Canadian Tire

21%
Home Hardware

1%
Lowes

0%
Home Depot

2%
The Source

18%
Zellers

10%
Wal-Mart

17%
XS Cargo

6%
Loblaws (RCSS/Zehrs/No Frills etc)

4%
Best Buy/Future Shop (Same company)

21%
53 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1201 posts
663 upvotes
What if you don't find yourself really "hating" any of the aforementioned?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
dreamwalker wrote: What if you don't find yourself really "hating" any of the aforementioned?
If you have another pls post it up. I was hoping for 20 options for a poll when I created the thread but 10 is the max.

If you don't hate/boycott any then no vote is needed.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
I want value for my money; so, I swallow my pride and buy from whomever has the best price.

If anything, I have some issues with Home Depot. They are the closest home improvement store to me, but it seems 3/4 times I go there they don't have what I need. Consequently, I go to the next closest home improvement store and they have what I need - Rona. So there's my beef, I always have to hit two stores to make one purchase - Home Depot lets me down more often than not.
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Where's the "all of the above" option?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
Sephora,

just sucky customer service, and you can not buy something from Canada and sent it to the US (like on their US site).

Wanted to buy a gift for someone that was in the US and customer service told me this.

And super crappy bonuses, like spend $100 to get a super tiny "free" sample.

If anyone asks me how that store is I always reccomend Murale or shoppers over that any day.

from your list...maybe Walmart as it is 2 hours for me to get there and back...too far to bother with.
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I don't 'hate', it's bad karma as well as a waste of energy.

May I suggest that you stop 'hating' and be more positive?

Dislike, annoyed by etc but not 'hate'. :)
Aug 5, 2007
656 posts
133 upvotes
peroxide8888 wrote:

If anything, I have some issues with Home Depot. They are the closest home improvement store to me, but it seems 3/4 times I go there they don't have what I need. Consequently, I go to the next closest home improvement store and they have what I need - Rona. So there's my beef, I always have to hit two stores to make one purchase - Home Depot lets me down more often than not.
I have the opposite experience. Rona's closer and they rarely have stock of what i'm looking for. Then i head off to hd. But both stores are poorly staffed. I feel like i'm chasing prey everytime i go there. I gotta scout both ends of an aisle to see if an associate is passing thru before another customer gets to them... And the person i get is never from that dept so either they page someone or the person's on break or off. When they page, i gotta scout both ends again!
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
I don't hate. And I just generally do not have bad experiences, if you have a positive attitude and treat people right things will generally go your way. If you go around hating things it's going to show in your interactions, and you will be unsuccessful.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
The Source. I used to work there, and it's second only to The Brick in terms of overall shadiness. Nothing there is a good value, and the associates will either completely ignore you or hound you if you're buying something since they're on commission.
Banned
Aug 21, 2006
629 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
This is almost too easy to choose from....

Canadian Tire customer service in my area is the worst. I don't ever want to deal with them again!!!! :mad: :mad:
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3467 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
Canadian Tire - Haven't been there in years.
Home Hardware - We have one in the mall near our house. It is a weird hybrid of a hardware store and a discount/dollar store. Don't buy hardware stuff there, but it's great for batteries and toothbrushes.
Lowes - Never been there.
Home Depot - Not much of a DYIer. Did go to the Harveys there last week.
The Source - Useless store. Did use them to PM at BestBuy when they had the $29.99 printers a while ago.
Zellers - Occasionally will pick up milk and clothes there. Prices on shelves are always wrong or missing. You need to price check EVERYTHING.
Wal-Mart - Good for small purchases and everyday essentials. Probably my favorite of the stores on the list, due to price and selection.
XS Cargo - Never heard of it.
Loblaws - No Frills is great for canned and packaged goods. Wouldn't touch their produce or "fresh" meat with a ten foot pole. Loblaws is over priced, but go their occasionally for fresh produce.
Best Buy/Future Shop - I go to Best Buy to look and compare products, but usually buy online or elsewhere. I am less comfortable in Future Shop, don't like the atmosphere for some reason.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Bookpreviews wrote: Sephora,

just sucky customer service, and you can not buy something from Canada and sent it to the US (like on their US site).

Wanted to buy a gift for someone that was in the US and customer service told me this.

And super crappy bonuses, like spend $100 to get a super tiny "free" sample.

If anyone asks me how that store is I always reccomend Murale or shoppers over that any day.

from your list...maybe Walmart as it is 2 hours for me to get there and back...too far to bother with.
I've had good luck with Sephora every time. I never have been turned down when asking for a sample of a product. I've been able to return used products that I tried and didn't like. Not sure if SDM gives samples of any product or if they accept used products back. And most of the employees I've dealt with at Sephora could go on for hours about which products to try, benefits, how they work, etc. Also, they carry more lines that SDM does. I find that even the hugest SDG near me carries only a small fraction of the brands, products, tools that Sephora does.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3203 posts
477 upvotes
Markham
Crappy Tire. Because it is the first one to introduce eco-fee. See the Green forum.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
amz155 wrote: I've had good luck with Sephora every time. I never have been turned down when asking for a sample of a product. I've been able to return used products that I tried and didn't like. Not sure if SDM gives samples of any product or if they accept used products back. And most of the employees I've dealt with at Sephora could go on for hours about which products to try, benefits, how they work, etc. Also, they carry more lines that SDM does. I find that even the hugest SDG near me carries only a small fraction of the brands, products, tools that Sephora does.
Well,
my experience Shopping online was that at Chrismastime I wanted to buy a gift for my mother online.

She is in the United States.

You apperently can not send a gift from the US site if your credit card is Canadian.

I tried 3 times with different cards and my orders were Canceled.

CONTACTED CUSTOMERS SERVICE AND WAS TOLD YOU CAN NOT BUY FROM THE us SITE AND SEND AS A GIFT TO A US ADDRESS WITH A CANADIAN BILLING ADDRESS.

and this is even when my card had aUS billing address added and has never been refused by any US only companies :)

Now they opened a Sephora here and the employees are not sure if some of the cinique toners were testers or the actual products.
could not tell me when stock was coming in,
went 3 times to check..no clinique toners.
(bought somewhere else).

#Had a gift credit at holiday time, cashiers were some confused on how to use it and it took them over 20 minutes to ring that through the cash.

#was given samples of the Clean Start line (and really liked that),
I was told they had none of the products for sale in the store yet,
not sure when they are coming in
not too helpful if you get samples and happen to like something.

#was looking for some eye primer,
there was only a tester of Too faced,
SA/associate did not offer to start a new tester for me,
and i know they are supposed to do that.

lost a sale on that :lol:

Overall my visits have been more lousy than good.

You can return stuff at Shoppers,
Shoppers is also very generous with samples when they have them :)

But my favorite place for skincare is Skincarerx online.
Amazing great customer service :)
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2338 upvotes
Ottawa
You forgot The Brick in that list. :mad:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton
Akitakara wrote: You forgot The Brick in that list. :mad:
+1 - That would have made my choice much easier. I vote CT - any store which still uses green screen monitors for checking inventory and employs clueless 12 year old Saturday staff who don't know where anything is deserves my vote.
Nov 24, 2009
641 posts
101 upvotes
Fergus, ON
I would not group BB with FS, same company and mostly same prices yes. But customer service at FS is like going to a used car dealer. Every FS I go to they upsell on everything. I go out of my way to avoid them, unless I'm PMing something as the nearest BB to home is quite a drive.
If it weren't for electricity, we would all be surfing RFD by candlelight.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)