Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
ChainReaction

Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer - 234$ (shipping about 30$)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2021 9:54 am
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city

Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer - 234$ (shipping about 30$)

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
ChainReaction
-British site but price is so low. The bushido Tacx is just under 400$.

260$ -10% Coupon: extra10%

You can choose to pay duties up front. I don't. I get a break about 50% of the time.
Feb 13, 2008
606 posts
684 upvotes
Hamilton
I often buy from Chain Reaction, although not as much since Wiggle bought them. I was just about to buy this and noticed the shipping choice looked unusual so I emailed them to clarify if that was going to be postal service or courier. They told me that choice was going to be courier.
So not going to take the chance of serious "handling charge".

Bulky Tracked Delivery - C$24.99
Estimated delivery 6-8 days pending customs clearance – All orders over $20 will incur Canadian import duty + a handling charge from our courier
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
Slash5 wrote: I often buy from Chain Reaction, although not as much since Wiggle bought them. I was just about to buy this and noticed the shipping choice looked unusual so I emailed them to clarify if that was going to be postal service or courier. They told me that choice was going to be courier.
So not going to take the chance of serious "handling charge".

Bulky Tracked Delivery - C$24.99
Estimated delivery 6-8 days pending customs clearance – All orders over $20 will incur Canadian import duty + a handling charge from our courier
Shipping with duties paid was 98$. Still under 300$.
Feb 13, 2008
606 posts
684 upvotes
Hamilton
$325.56 - still a good deal. Cheaper than Kijiji.
Jan 13, 2017
477 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
A word of caution - UK plug supplied

I have this trainer. It's okay. Not great. I should have bought the Direct drive Neo or Flux....if you're a serious cyclist.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1711 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
An old but related thread (that people are still recently commenting in :))... tacx-t2180-vortex-smart-trainer-cycling ... o-1808271/

I no longer have the trainer (sold a couple of years ago), but a solid budget option. I've had an Elite Directo for 2 years and really any decently rated direct drive trainer is superior to this. If you are serious about training, get a direct drive.

That all said... Biggest con is probably that it is VERY noisy compared to a direct drive. Beyond that, if you want reasonably accurate and (more importantly) repeatable power numbers you need to ensure the following EVERY RIDE... Tire is inflated to the same PSI (get a trainer tire), same pressure on the tire roller, 10 minute warm up, and calibration.

If you have a power meter already, this is a cheap way to get ERG and use TR, Zwift, etc...
Nov 13, 2018
906 posts
2000 upvotes
spintheblackcircle wrote: An old but related thread (that people are still recently commenting in :))... tacx-t2180-vortex-smart-trainer-cycling ... o-1808271/

I no longer have the trainer (sold a couple of years ago), but a solid budget option. I've had an Elite Directo for 2 years and really any decently rated direct drive trainer is superior to this. If you are serious about training, get a direct drive.

That all said... Biggest con is probably that it is VERY noisy compared to a direct drive. Beyond that, if you want reasonably accurate and (more importantly) repeatable power numbers you need to ensure the following EVERY RIDE... Tire is inflated to the same PSI (get a trainer tire), same pressure on the tire roller, 10 minute warm up, and calibration.

If you have a power meter already, this is a cheap way to get ERG and use TR, Zwift, etc...

I've got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, quite old. I also just bought a Stages Power Meter. I've always used trainerroad because I liked the structured workouts, but any thoughts on using my setup for Zwift? I won't get the erg stuff like feedback and ramping, but I'm okay with that as long as the workouts are solid.

Otherwise I might just head back to trainer road
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
Noobie questions - can this accomodate hybrid bicycles like Giant Roam? And what are the advantages of this system over a regular stationary excercise machines I have in my condo gym? I'm just a casual cyclist - do brisk 15-20km/day runs when the weather is good, but looking to excercise more during colder months.
For Sale:
Apr 2, 2003
712 posts
87 upvotes
Quebec
mikebmt wrote: I've got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, quite old. I also just bought a Stages Power Meter. I've always used trainerroad because I liked the structured workouts, but any thoughts on using my setup for Zwift? I won't get the erg stuff like feedback and ramping, but I'm okay with that as long as the workouts are solid.

I had a KK Road Machine and a Powertap G3. Last year I sold the KK and got a used Vortex. The resistance makes all the difference when riding in Zwift and I prefer ERG mode for workouts with the Vortex. The KK had a better feel but the overall virtual experience with the Vortex is far better, even if it can't simulate slopes over 5-6%.

This is a great deal, direct drive trainers are superior but they start at 4x the price
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1711 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
mikebmt wrote: I've got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, quite old. I also just bought a Stages Power Meter. I've always used trainerroad because I liked the structured workouts, but any thoughts on using my setup for Zwift? I won't get the erg stuff like feedback and ramping, but I'm okay with that as long as the workouts are solid.

decadent wrote: I had a KK Road Machine and a Powertap G3. Last year I sold the KK and got a used Vortex. The resistance makes all the difference when riding in Zwift and I prefer ERG mode for workouts with the Vortex. The KK had a better feel but the overall virtual experience with the Vortex is far better, even if it can't simulate slopes over 5-6%.

This is a great deal, direct drive trainers are superior but they start at 4x the price
100% agree with decadent.

I use Zwift and TR (and TP and other software), but Zwift is just for entertainment while following the TR workout. My season is ending shortly and this year (I've been using TR for 4 years) I may just dink around with racing/free rides on Zwift for a couple of months until I get back into structure. IMHO you need a smart trainer for Zwift to be enjoyable.

I almost 100% use ERG (and I have 2 power meters plus the Direto which is bang on the PMs). For what it's worth, if you've listened to the TR podcast both Jonathan and Nate (and I think Chad as well) don't even use ERG with their own product. I'm pretty sure Johnathan exclusively does his indoor training on rollers with TR!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1711 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
thelasthunter wrote: Noobie questions - can this accomodate hybrid bicycles like Giant Roam? And what are the advantages of this system over a regular stationary excercise machines I have in my condo gym? I'm just a casual cyclist - do brisk 15-20km/day runs when the weather is good, but looking to excercise more during colder months.
While the vortex is adjustable, it is a budget trainer. I only have/had experience with road/TT. You'd have to look into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would work.

The main advantage is that you can ride your own bike and train on it. I mean, if you're running daily upwards of half marathon distance (and apparently hate the TM) then yes, I'm sure you'd get much more enjoyment on your own bike to maintain fitness. I'd get something like the vortex to start (provided your bike works) and get zwift for the winter. I think you'd enjoy it far more than a stationary bike at the gym. As a bonus, Zwift also does running if you're stuck on the TM...
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1282 posts
830 upvotes
SASKATOON
typer100 wrote: -British site but price is so low. The bushido Tacx is just under 400$.

260$ -10% Coupon: extra10%

You can choose to pay duties up front. I don't. I get a break about 50% of the time.
What kind of break do you get 50% of the time? I haven't bought anything from the states in a while but I remember DHL charged 60$ brokerage fee on a 150$ item and never bought anything from the states to be shipped here again. Is The bulky delivery option going to cost less than the 98$ option? I'm kind of confused about the delivery options.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
ripjohnnyc wrote: What kind of break do you get 50% of the time? I haven't bought anything from the states in a while but I remember DHL charged 60$ brokerage fee on a 150$ item and never bought anything from the states to be shipped here again. Is The bulky delivery option going to cost less than the 98$ option? I'm kind of confused about the delivery options.
Not op but I've never paid duties on tires (4000s ii)
Mar 8, 2006
934 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
There is also a $20 dollar coupon for new customers.
NCV2019. Can be stacked with extra10. Brings it to 303 with duty paid.

mine was shipped DHL.
Last edited by orangeteam on Sep 4th, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
lleb13 wrote: Not op but I've never paid duties on tires (4000s ii)
Duty being charged has nothing to do with the physical size of the item. The biggest thing that affects if it's charged is the courier selected and speed of delivery.

Fedex/DHL/UPS/EMS/etc = 100% chance of duty being charged in addition to their brokerage fee being charged (if the taxes/duties aren't paid in advance of course). This is a money maker for them so they're not going to miss it, and once it's reported by them it will be inspected/charged.

USPS/RoyalMail/any local courier (that hands off to Canada Post for final delivery) = YMMV. I've almost never gotten duties charged. I think in all my years of ordering crap i've gotten charged a handful of times, and those times were when the item was shipped express. They don't care about duties unless your package is suspicious in some way, very high declared value, or randomly selected.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1282 posts
830 upvotes
SASKATOON
orangeteam wrote: There is also a $20 dollar coupon for new customers.
NCV2019. Can be stacked with extra10. Brings it to 303 with duty paid.

mine was shipped DHL.
Damn I couldn't add that coupon. Probably because I didn't open an account. Hopefully they can apply it post purchase.
Nov 27, 2007
17 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

I bought this trainer 2-3 yrs back just for Zwift in the winter months and it works great, definitely worth the ~$300 you'll be paying for it. ERG mode lets you forget about shifting so you can just pedal, as the trainer it adjusts the resistance for you on the fly. Direct drive trainers are definitely better in every way... however you're looking at well over $1k for one.

Zwift also has structured workouts available, as well as the option to build your own training structures if you wish to.

Only thing I've noticed is the power readings from the trainer aren't very accurate (10-15% higher than actual). But as long as your tires are inflated to the same PSI before every session the numbers are consistent and you can use it as a baseline to track your progress.

Also you NEED a trainer tire, or else you'll go poor replacing your tires.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: Duty being charged has nothing to do with the physical size of the item. The biggest thing that affects if it's charged is the courier selected and speed of delivery.

Fedex/DHL/UPS/EMS/etc = 100% chance of duty being charged in addition to their brokerage fee being charged (if the taxes/duties aren't paid in advance of course). This is a money maker for them so they're not going to miss it, and once it's reported by them it will be inspected/charged.

USPS/RoyalMail/any local courier (that hands off to Canada Post for final delivery) = YMMV. I've almost never gotten duties charged. I think in all my years of ordering crap i've gotten charged a handful of times, and those times were when the item was shipped express. They don't care about duties unless your package is suspicious in some way, very high declared value, or randomly selected.
I was referring to the cost (100$) not the size of the 2 tires. Anything over 20$ is much more likely to get nailed with duties.
It's also often worthwhile to split large orders if the shipping fees are linear or aren't crazy expensive.

Your courier mention is accurate. Rule of thumb, slower shipping is usually better when it comes to avoiding duties.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
ml6628 wrote: I bought this trainer 2-3 yrs back just for Zwift in the winter months and it works great, definitely worth the ~$300 you'll be paying for it. ERG mode lets you forget about shifting so you can just pedal, as the trainer it adjusts the resistance for you on the fly. Direct drive trainers are definitely better in every way... however you're looking at well over $1k for one.

Also you NEED a trainer tire, or else you'll go poor replacing your tires.
Is the trainer crazy loud? Ie. If I use it in the basement will it drive my wife upstairs crazy?
Regarding the trainer wheel, did you need to replace it? If I have to replace it every season (winter) I'm probably better off investing in a direct drive no?
Nov 27, 2007
17 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
lleb13 wrote: Is the trainer crazy loud? Ie. If I use it in the basement will it drive my wife upstairs crazy?
Regarding the trainer wheel, did you need to replace it? If I have to replace it every season (winter) I'm probably better off investing in a direct drive no?
It's loud if you're in the same room, but its not loud enough for the noise to travel upstairs.
Yeah you'll need to replace the tire every winter, or invest in a separate wheel + cassette for the trainer tire...
If you have the money then definitely go for the direct drive... but just keep in mind it'll be 4x the price