• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 4:12 am
Nov 30, 2009
227 posts
81 upvotes
Québec
Gee wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 11:21 am
You don't need MyQ to make it work with HomeKit. All you need as a device that can short two wires and communicate with your iPhone.
Exactly, i have an old garage door opener with no myq built in but it's the 888lm wall control that does the job with communication with the old internet gataway. It's likely that you have already a compatible setup as you have the old internet gateway working. Directly from the myQ Home bridge page you can see a brand compatibility listing that this new hub can just replace the old one.
Nov 7, 2012
670 posts
238 upvotes
TORONTO
slay3r85 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 11:33 am
Exactly, i have an old garage door opener with no myq built in but it's the 888lm wall control that does the job with communication with the old internet gataway. It's likely that you have already a compatible setup as you have the old internet gateway working. Directly from the myQ Home bridge page you can see a brand compatibility listing that this new hub can just replace the old one.
Ok... thanks for clarifying this. Patiently waiting for the Canadian release :/
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25873 posts
2878 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
My garage door opener has MyQ and I disabled it. Not a fan of having my automation in the cloud. I'm using z-wave

Problem is the garage door opener is encrypted and will not work by shorting the wires. I have to wire it to a spare remote. If I had an older opener, this would not be a problem.
Dec 8, 2014
150 posts
47 upvotes
Calgary, AB
i'm wondering why the chamberlain home bridge is only available on their website and not everywhere else (e.g. best buy.com , regular retail stores). Is the hardware still on a "beta" release that chamberlain is not confident in reaching out to a larger crowd
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
491 posts
23 upvotes
kaisin82 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 5:26 pm
i'm wondering why the chamberlain home bridge is only available on their website and not everywhere else (e.g. best buy.com , regular retail stores). Is the hardware still on a "beta" release that chamberlain is not confident in reaching out to a larger crowd
Or are they waiting for IOS 11 to be released first???
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4214 posts
814 upvotes
Ottawa
Some of the newest Chamberlain openers have built in wifi so there's no need for a hub with those. The 888LM will connect wirelessly to a wifi opener, if you have a second opener that you want to upgrade. That's what I did and it works great.

Chamberlain does not allow automatic door opening for security and liability reasons.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1220 posts
305 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 11:21 am
You don't need MyQ to make it work with HomeKit. All you need as a device that can short two wires and communicate with your iPhone.
Yes a $5 ESP8266 with a simple $2 relay will do the job just fine. Download the sample web server, add a few lines to handle the logic and you can have one in less than 5 minutes.

Most people just don't know how or bother to build one themselves. So for practical purpose you do need something like MyQ to make it work :-P
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25873 posts
2878 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
csi123 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:37 pm
Yes a $5 ESP8266 with a simple $2 relay will do the job just fine. Download the sample web server, add a few lines to handle the logic and you can have one in less than 5 minutes.

Most people just don't know how or bother to build one themselves. So for practical purpose you do need something like MyQ to make it work :-P
Do you know of any microcontrollers supporting Z-Wave?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1220 posts
305 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 2:12 pm
Do you know of any microcontrollers supporting Z-Wave?
Sorry no personal experience as I don't have z-wave at home. But the only one I know of is this:

https://z-uno.z-wave.me/

It is pretty pricey so make no sense if you are mainly doing it to save some bucks.

There are a lot of z-wave "compatible" shield on ebay but those are only compatible as in they use the same frequency as z-wave. None of those actually implements a z-wave stack.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25873 posts
2878 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
csi123 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 2:23 pm
Sorry no personal experience as I don't have z-wave at home. But the only one I know of is this:

https://z-uno.z-wave.me/

It is pretty pricey so make no sense if you are mainly doing it to save some bucks.

There are a lot of z-wave "compatible" shield on ebay but those are only compatible as in they use the same frequency as z-wave. None of those actually implements a z-wave stack.
I'm not trying to save money. Outside of light switches and useless sensors, I'm having a hard time finding useful controllers.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1625 posts
452 upvotes
Mississauga
I just thought to mention a word of caution regarding Chamberlain/Liftmaster MyQ integration. I recently bought a Google home and was researching the MyQ integration only to find out there is a fee to link them...$1.30/mth or 13/yr. Minuscule amount but sets a precedence.
I figured that I could just link them through IFTTT only to find out it launched too weeks ago also with the same fee :facepalm: . Yeah, I'm not paying. Alexa owners seem to be conecting though user setup Amazon web servers. Time will tell if it all remains free.
Mar 25, 2009
442 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Got an email today from Chamberlain/Liftmaster telling me that “MyQ Homebridge is here“. They are offering “GET $20 OFF WHEN YOU ENTER CODE LHBOCT2017* on Model #819LMB which could come $50 USD plus tax & shipping. Has anyone seen the NEW Homebridge in store or online in Canada?
Sep 29, 2017
1 posts
radar2000 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 8:50 pm
Sadly they still don’t ship to Canada.
You maybe able to purchase the Liftmaster version and have it shipped to Canada. I went part way through the purchasing and I was able to specify a ship to Canada. It don't think it's on sale though unless you can use the coupon code mentioned above.