Page 1 of 2

Chanel bag duty free

Posted: Jul 21st, 2015 11:22 pm
by aimsley
I want to buy my first Chanel bag and was wondering what's the cheapest way to purchase one (new, from a legit store). Should I go to the states (Washington or Portland, Oregon is closest) and try to get it from a duty free shop? I may travel to Honolulu sometime this year so I have the option of trying duty free there too. Anyone know if the price varies depending on state? Is duty free even an option? I think I saw luxury bags being sold at the DFS in Honolulu on my last trip but have to check.

The Canadian dollar is terrible right now, so I will have to factor in that as well a savings from no tax.

Also, just to confirm, if I purchase from a duty free shop it means I won't get charged tax at purchase, won't get taxed at border/airport and also the value of the purchase does not count towards my allotted tax exemption amount based on length of stay?

Re: Chanel bag duty free

Posted: Jul 22nd, 2015 1:00 am
by toodlepip
I've never heard of Chanel selling their bags at a duty free. I believe only Chanel boutiques carry them.

Posted: Jul 22nd, 2015 11:11 am
by c_snapper
with the 25% USD premium, your best bet is probably to buy locally.

an entry level chanel bag is what? 3-4k. If you "sneak" it in, and you get away with it, great. If you declare and have to pay duty & HST, you're WAY better off buying locally.

Did they do their annual price increase yet?

In some cities (Hong Kong, in particular), DFS (Duty Free Shop) have Chanel shop-in-shops, i'm guessing this is what OP is referring to.

Posted: Jul 22nd, 2015 11:12 am
by c_snapper
if you buy locally, see if you can find your way to Alberta to pick it up so you only have to pay GST.

Posted: Jul 22nd, 2015 11:39 am
by aimsley
I live in Vancouver and I'm hoping to get the Chanel GST bag in black with gold hardware. I have no idea if the price increased yet but I heard they do this once or twice a year. I just recently started doing research on this bag and I really want to get it!

Currently Holt Renfrew doesn't have it in stock but when they do it will be $3400. The GST XL is discontinued. I hope to get this before the next price increase and before its discontinued as well.

In the states I think it's around $2900 USD, but I read on purse forums that Honolulu sells some styles cheaper than the mainland but other styles more expensive.

Posted: Jul 23rd, 2015 10:11 am
by jreye012
aimsley wrote: I live in Vancouver and I'm hoping to get the Chanel GST bag in black with gold hardware. I have no idea if the price increased yet but I heard they do this once or twice a year. I just recently started doing research on this bag and I really want to get it!

Currently Holt Renfrew doesn't have it in stock but when they do it will be $3400. The GST XL is discontinued. I hope to get this before the next price increase and before its discontinued as well.

In the states I think it's around $2900 USD, but I read on purse forums that Honolulu sells some styles cheaper than the mainland but other styles more expensive.
My GF has this bag, but I can't remember what kind of price she got it for. She just ended up buying it locally in Calgary from Holt and it was cheaper than what it would have costed in the US. Just stick to buying it locally especially when our dollar is so bad. Also, DFS selling Chanel in the US is new to me lol.

Posted: Jul 23rd, 2015 11:38 pm
by aimsley
jreye012 wrote: My GF has this bag, but I can't remember what kind of price she got it for. She just ended up buying it locally in Calgary from Holt and it was cheaper than what it would have costed in the US. Just stick to buying it locally especially when our dollar is so bad. Also, DFS selling Chanel in the US is new to me lol.
Too bad Calgary isn't very convenient for me. I have no reason to go to Calgary except to buy this bag :lol:

Posted: Jul 27th, 2015 12:15 am
by hdom
Head a bit further east when you head to banff.
aimsley wrote: Too bad Calgary isn't very convenient for me. I have no reason to go to Calgary except to buy this bag :lol:

Posted: Jul 27th, 2015 12:36 am
by aimsley
hdom wrote: Head a bit further east when you head to banff.
Thanks for the tip but I actually have no reason to go to Alberta at all. I also never go to Banff or the interior because the area doesn't interest me. I think I will end up buying my Chanel in Vancouver but the item I want and the entire classic flap line is actually sold out across Canada (so I was told).

Apparently they don't do wait lists for Chanel in Vancoiver so I will just have to keep calling near the end of the year to find out if the stock has come in yet. Kind of annoying for them if I start calling every few days but it's their fault for not having wait lists :lol:

Posted: Jul 31st, 2015 9:35 am
by girlstar
If you can get to Europe its best to buy with VAT refund. I don't have a Chanel but bought Prada and Celine in France and Italy and it was a lot of savings .

Posted: Jul 31st, 2015 12:20 pm
by thelefteyeguy
the exchange is now 30% premium (at minimum depending on credit card)

Posted: Jul 31st, 2015 12:22 pm
by thelefteyeguy
girlstar wrote: If you can get to Europe its best to buy with VAT refund. I don't have a Chanel but bought Prada and Celine in France and Italy and it was a lot of savings .
you have to include price of airplane ticket :)
and cross your finger the custom agent doesnt ding you with GST at the cdn side cause they think your purse smells too new ;)

Posted: Jul 31st, 2015 9:25 pm
by lovepizza
I was just at Honolulu airport recently, they do not sell bags at DFS. Only cosmetics and fragrances.

Posted: Aug 2nd, 2015 10:14 pm
by r1lee
Chanel will raise their prices in Canada to match the currency exchange. They do this because they try to keep their prices globally to be similar. Why sell less from one geographical location compared to another? The customer will have to buy it no matter what, so there's no point on losing money. The only benefit is local sales tax, so Alberta would be best.

Posted: Aug 5th, 2015 12:02 am
by aimsley
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will buy it in town this time and maybe next time in Europe whenever I go next!

Posted: Sep 21st, 2015 11:10 am
by callmebob
girlstar wrote: If you can get to Europe its best to buy with VAT refund. I don't have a Chanel but bought Prada and Celine in France and Italy and it was a lot of savings .
In London they ask for your passport # when filling the VAT refund form and processing your refund. Does this mean they share the information with Canada customs so that you get flagged when returning to Canada? If so, getting the VAT refund would be a bonus but then offset by the duty + HST applied by Canada customs. Correct?

Posted: Sep 23rd, 2015 1:19 pm
by Aritzia
aimsley wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions. I will buy it in town this time and maybe next time in Europe whenever I go next!
Did you get your Chanel? Which one did you get?
Prices went up a lot this time around.
Jumbo flap is $6725 and m/l flap is $6100 before taxes...
It's crazy how chanel classic bags have doubled just like Real Estate in Toronto within 5y.

Posted: Sep 23rd, 2015 2:10 pm
by BrunetteGirl
I've never seen a Chanel duty free (except for cosmetics and perfumes... and sunglasses)

I bought my Chanel in Paris in 2012- I did VAT refund and got a few hundred dollars back. Also purchased some Chanel items in Miami, FL back when our dollar was (almost) par.

Posted: Sep 23rd, 2015 3:42 pm
by aimsley
Aritzia wrote: Did you get your Chanel? Which one did you get?
Prices went up a lot this time around.
Jumbo flap is $6725 and m/l flap is $6100 before taxes...
It's crazy how chanel classic bags have doubled just like Real Estate in Toronto within 5y.
I ended up buying it here. Was really bad, got a jumbo flap and a WOC over the last month or so. When did the prices go up?

Posted: Sep 23rd, 2015 8:52 pm
by Aritzia
aimsley wrote: I ended up buying it here. Was really bad, got a jumbo flap and a WOC over the last month or so. When did the prices go up?
I think it went up like beginning of Sept? Jumbo is $6725 now before taxes. I paid $3150 for Jumbo 5y years ago...it's crazy how it is over $7000 now after taxes.