• Mar 3rd, 2014 10:48 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 27, 2014
3 posts
Toronto

Chang in Martial status and Taxes

I am planing to get married but I don't know if it is a good idea when it comes to taxes, or should I continue to live together with my fiancee.
I earn about 70k no debt no mortgage I am still renting, however my fiancee she is a students 3 year and does some job but in average about 600income per month.

If we get married do I have to pay for his OSAP and all her student loan?
will she be still able to get OSAP as my income is high?
Does it affect my taxes and income?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
992 upvotes
N/A
sounds like you need to go back to school with your fiancée.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3354 posts
1182 upvotes
Toronto
Once you get married I believe OSAP will count family income to see if she is still eligible to receive it. Also she will lose any personal tax benefits she was getting (like GST rebate, Trillium benefits, etc)

When you file taxes as married, then you can claim her as dependent and you will get an additional tax credit.

If by chance you 2 have already been living together 12 consecutive months, then you are officially common-law for tax purposes so have no choice but to change your status with CRA to common-law and file that way anyways. Though OSAP rules for common-law differ from CRA rules (1 year for CRA, 3 years living together for OSAP).
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2601 posts
807 upvotes
Markham
I sincerely hope you not try to decide whether you should get married on tax situations...BTW there is nothing really bad that can happen, worst case it's the same as filing each as a single person combined
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1047 upvotes
You are letting that influence if you get married or not? Wow. You shouldn't get married. But that has nothing to do with OSAP or taxes.