Automotive

Change ownership for free within family?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2014 1:31 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 7, 2004
279 posts
2 upvotes

Change ownership for free within family?

I heard you can change ownership for free between family members. My car is currently in my brother's name still and I wouldnt mind changing it over.
would I still be able to do it for free even tho he lives at a different address?
49 replies
Mar 15, 2004
290 posts
2 upvotes
Payment of retail sales tax is not required when a vehicle is a gift and is being transferred between close family members, which only includes a spouse, parent, step-parent, grand-parent, son, daughter, grandson, step-grandson, granddaughter, step-granddaughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law or mother-in-law. Only one tax-free transfer per vehicle is allowed every 12 months.

A statement sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths will be required for certain transfers, such as gifts between family members and transfers for insurance purposes. Diplomats and Status Indians who qualify will be able to complete a transfer without paying tax by simply showing their identity card.

I guess no free transfers between brothers?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
6991 posts
57 upvotes
Nepean
Thanks for the info Tik
Jun 15, 2005
764 posts
11 upvotes
My father has my car under his name, if he changed the entitlement to me (son) do you have to re-safety the car as you would when you sell it to someone else?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6002 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
I did it before, bring the birth certificate of you and your brother. I assume the father and mother's name is the same in both birth certificate.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 4, 2003
459 posts
Arkaine wrote:
Oct 17th, 2006 10:20 pm
My father has my car under his name, if he changed the entitlement to me (son) do you have to re-safety the car as you would when you sell it to someone else?
unfortunately yes.. that' what happened to my colleague. He want to give his car to his daughter but the safety inspection will cost them couple thousands. So he end up trade it in.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2004
1294 posts
19 upvotes
Markham
No tax exemptions between siblings - in Ontario at least.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2269 posts
13 upvotes
Going through it now, you need safety + emissions.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
3016 posts
101 upvotes
If you need the sworn statement notarized for certain transfers some of the licensing offices have commissioners on hand to notarize.
Mar 15, 2003
598 posts
36 upvotes
Azxster wrote:
Oct 17th, 2006 11:06 pm
Going through it now, you need safety + emissions.
Ah im doing this as well, I read through the Ministry of transportation website and it says the following:

Safety Standards Certificate
A Safety Standards Certificate (S.S.C.) is required to register a used motor vehicle as fit. It certifies the roadworthiness of the vehicle at the time of inspection. It can be obtained at any licensed Motor Vehicle Inspection Station in Ontario for a fee. It is valid for 36 days from the date of the inspection and must be signed by an authorized mechanic. You will be asked to produce an S.S.C. when:

registering a rebuilt motor vehicle.

transferring a used motor vehicle to a new owner as fit unless exempt e.g. transfer between spouses,etc.

registering a motor vehicle in Ontario that was previously registered in another province or country.

changing the status of a vehicle from unfit to fit.

Doesnt that mean, you dont need one? Also do i have to get a UVIP as well?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2004
1294 posts
19 upvotes
Markham
thesober wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 7:36 pm
transferring a used motor vehicle to a new owner as fit unless exempt e.g. transfer between spouses,etc.

Doesnt that mean, you dont need one? Also do i have to get a UVIP as well?
* You will only be exempt from safety if you are doing a transfer between spouses (husband/wife).
* The sworn statement only exempts you from the taxes and not the safety.
* If you get the sworn statement, then you don't need the UVIP.

So...
* Transfers between siblings -> pay taxes, get safety/emissions, get UVIP (sworn statement does not apply).
* Transfers between parent/child -> get sworn statement (don't pay taxes), get safety, no UVIP.
* Transfers between spouses -> get sworn statement (don't pay taxes), no safety, no emissions (if still valid), and no UVIP.

BTW, this was how things worked as of Dec. 2005. I don't know if anything has changed since then. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3237 posts
30 upvotes
dodo wrote:
Oct 17th, 2006 10:32 pm
unfortunately yes.. that' what happened to my colleague. He want to give his car to his daughter but the safety inspection will cost them couple thousands. So he end up trade it in.
A safety check is $80. If it takes a couple of thousands to bring the car up to snuff for the safety, he definately shouldn't be giving the car to his daughter.
The RFD Doctrine -
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
UrbanPoet: Automatic 1-Star thread starter.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2004
279 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for the info. I guess it'll stay in his name for now. Silly laws.
Aug 12, 2004
155 posts
2 upvotes
Hello,

Just bringing back this old thread up b/c it is applicable to my present situation.

I was wondering what I need to do to obtain a sworn statement? Does both family members need to go to a lawyer or something?

Thanks.
× < >