Automotive

Change ownership for free within family?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2014 1:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1668 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
hank755 wrote: Yes this thread has been incredibly informative. I would also like to know the answer to the question below.

My mother is transferring her car to my brother. Does my brother need his insurance policy before the transfer occurs or can it be obtained after?

Thanks
Henry
Not sure where your are from, but in Ontario, insurance is not required to only transfer the vehicle. Valid insurance is required if your brother wants to put a plate (and buy a validation sticker) on it and drive it. They can always transfer the vehicle first and then plate it later on when your brother has valid insurance for it.
Feb 15, 2013
1 posts
Hi everyone, I am in a similar situation regarding this except i am curious about transferring the vehicle as is. I am trying to change the ownership of my truck from my father to myself but am unsure what is needed if it is being given to me as a gift and then will be selling the vehicle immediately after as-is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
Hi all,
I'm looking to transfer ownership from my siblings car - is tax exempted? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
zaidyboy wrote: I should've stated....what if I'm buying it off my sibling? Is tax still exempted?
Only tax exempted if you are transferring, no cash being exchanged.

Tax exemptions: You do not need to pay sales tax if you are:
  • transferring the vehicle to a close family member as a gift
  • a qualifying diplomat or Status Indian
from https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-road ... le-ontario
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2005
1123 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
Some questions regarding vehicle transfer between sibling.

This is the current requirement for tax exemption.
-a completed sworn statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form CHECKED
-proof of Ontario insurance ????
-your Ontario driver's licence checked
-Safety Standards Certificate (not required for spouse to spouse transfers) checked
-emissions test (if applicable. Find out if you need a test) checked
-vehicle ownership permit with the completed portion on the back, and a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (this is required on spouse to spouse transfers in order to exempt them from the Safety Standards Certificate and the -Drive Clean emissions test requirements) checked

Is the Insurance policy required is from current owner or is it must be of the new owner? If it must be a policy for the new owner, can I get insurance for that car even though I don't own yet?
Also, if I have all of that information for transfer, do both party have to be present at the Service Ontario?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2358 posts
618 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
nookuwn wrote: Some questions regarding vehicle transfer between sibling.

This is the current requirement for tax exemption.
-a completed sworn statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form CHECKED
-proof of Ontario insurance ????
-your Ontario driver's licence checked
-Safety Standards Certificate (not required for spouse to spouse transfers) checked
-emissions test (if applicable. Find out if you need a test) checked
-vehicle ownership permit with the completed portion on the back, and a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (this is required on spouse to spouse transfers in order to exempt them from the Safety Standards Certificate and the -Drive Clean emissions test requirements) checked

Is the Insurance policy required is from current owner or is it must be of the new owner? If it must be a policy for the new owner, can I get insurance for that car even though I don't own yet?
Also, if I have all of that information for transfer, do both party have to be present at the Service Ontario?

Thanks
As long as you have the sworn statement completed, I believe just the new owner can attend but you should call the MTO to confirm.

You can get insurance on the vehicle before putting in your name. Give the VIN to your insurance company and have them send you proof of insurance in the new owners name. That is required to register.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2005
1123 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
It makes sense that it works this way. Thanks