Travel

Changing Air Canada Itinerary - Weather

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 9:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 12, 2011
3808 posts
355 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake

Changing Air Canada Itinerary - Weather

Hi all,

Curious if anybody knows if Air Canada will allow you to change an itinerary if the weather is forecast to be somewhat of a mess for the day of a departure? I'm meant to be leaving Montreal to Mexico (connecting via Toronto) on the morning of Feb 13. The forecast is calling for 10cm of snow the night prior to the flight and 5cm the day of. With this forecast in mind, will AC allow changes without any fees (e.g., if I wanted to just drive to Toronto the day before and catch the flight there instead of in Montreal)? Or is the only way to change without a fee if AC amends the flight?

Thanks
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3952 posts
366 upvotes
Scarborough
The fee will only be waived if it's published on their website.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 12, 2011
3808 posts
355 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
GateGuardian wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 10:20 am
The fee will only be waived if it's published on their website.
Darn, thank you. No getting around this weather then, sigh.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 14, 2009
1278 posts
505 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 9:49 am
Hi all,

Curious if anybody knows if Air Canada will allow you to change an itinerary if the weather is forecast to be somewhat of a mess for the day of a departure? I'm meant to be leaving Montreal to Mexico (connecting via Toronto) on the morning of Feb 13. The forecast is calling for 10cm of snow the night prior to the flight and 5cm the day of. With this forecast in mind, will AC allow changes without any fees (e.g., if I wanted to just drive to Toronto the day before and catch the flight there instead of in Montreal)? Or is the only way to change without a fee if AC amends the flight?

Thanks
I would still call and suggest AC just remove Mtl-Tor leg without changing in price.
From common sense point of view it is win-win for both sides.
They get one ticket back for free and you avoid any possibility to
miss Toronto departure.

Another option to ask -- if you can be on stand-by on earlier flight from Mtl to Tor.
If I remember correctly, Mtl-Tor is officially free-earlier-stand-by route for AC.
(but still depends on ticket level)

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1734 posts
862 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Typhoonz wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 9:49 am
Hi all,

Curious if anybody knows if Air Canada will allow you to change an itinerary if the weather is forecast to be somewhat of a mess for the day of a departure? I'm meant to be leaving Montreal to Mexico (connecting via Toronto) on the morning of Feb 13. The forecast is calling for 10cm of snow the night prior to the flight and 5cm the day of. With this forecast in mind, will AC allow changes without any fees (e.g., if I wanted to just drive to Toronto the day before and catch the flight there instead of in Montreal)? Or is the only way to change without a fee if AC amends the flight?

Thanks
Since we are still too far away from departure to see what the weather will actually be just keep a close eye on the website (AC also shared any alerts due to weather disruptions on social media). Depending on the weather in the next few days by Feb 11th/Feb 12 if they will waive change fees will likely be announced by then. Be ready on the 12th to perhaps take an earlier flight into YYZ or ofcourse see if you can skip the departure portion and begin travel in Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
7437 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
tequilla wrote:
I would still call and suggest AC just remove Mtl-Tor leg without changing in price.
From common sense point of view it is win-win for both sides.
They get one ticket back for free and you avoid any possibility to
miss Toronto departure.

Another option to ask -- if you can be on stand-by on earlier flight from Mtl to Tor.
If I remember correctly, Mtl-Tor is officially free-earlier-stand-by route for AC.
(but still depends on ticket level)

Cheers!
Montreal-Toronto is part of rapid air which means early same day stand by is available at all ticket levels.

This might be an issue with checked bags mind you.

EDIT does not apply to basic economy fares (standard and up only)
Last edited by GangStarr on Feb 13th, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 12, 2011
3808 posts
355 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
tequilla wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 11:34 am
I would still call and suggest AC just remove Mtl-Tor leg without changing in price.
From common sense point of view it is win-win for both sides.
They get one ticket back for free and you avoid any possibility to
miss Toronto departure.

Another option to ask -- if you can be on stand-by on earlier flight from Mtl to Tor.
If I remember correctly, Mtl-Tor is officially free-earlier-stand-by route for AC.
(but still depends on ticket level)

Cheers!
I'll try this and see how it works out. Thanks. That's what I was thinking - if we were to cancel the YUL - YYZ portion, they aren't losing anything.
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 12:34 pm
Since we are still too far away from departure to see what the weather will actually be just keep a close eye on the website (AC also shared any alerts due to weather disruptions on social media). Depending on the weather in the next few days by Feb 11th/Feb 12 if they will waive change fees will likely be announced by then. Be ready on the 12th to perhaps take an earlier flight into YYZ or ofcourse see if you can skip the departure portion and begin travel in Toronto.
Thanks for this. Only issue is we're on the first flight out of YUL in the morning, ugh. Even flying down the night before might be a bit risky as that's when all the snow is meant to come. If we didn't make it out that night it would be harder to get on standby the following morning on our original flight.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1545 posts
868 upvotes
Is there an non-stop out of YUL for the same destination by any chance?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 20, 2003
10871 posts
275 upvotes
Ottawa
Typhoonz wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 4:09 pm
I'll try this and see how it works out. Thanks. That's what I was thinking - if we were to cancel the YUL - YYZ portion, they aren't losing anything.
I'd be careful about a plan to leave from YYZ and not YUL - weather waivers typically allow you to change your booking +/- 3 days when they are announced. That's it... they don't allow you to change your origin or destination airport using the online tool, and agents are told not to allow that either.

In fact, here is the guide sent to agents (silly AC, leaving searchable on Google): https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... sories.pdf
When you rebook your customers, please adhere to the following:
 Re-protect on AC or AC* only (other airlines are not permitted)
 Origin and destination must remain the same (including sister cities)
 Waitlist permitted, only if the original ticketed fare allowed a waitlist
 Rebook same class up to Y for Economy Class
 Rebook same class up to J for Business Class, with the exception of R class:
 When used with an eUpgrade credit, rebook original ticketed booking class up to Y
 When used for a last minute paid upgrade, rebook R up to J
While you may think that there is no cost to AC and it's win/win, they don't see it that way. Direct flights are usually priced higher than connections (i.e., you pay more to fly YYZ-CUN than YUL-YYZ-CUN), which is why hidden city ticketing is so popular.

And you can't just decide to skip your YUL-YYZ flight and show up in Toronto - if you miss a flight leg, AC will automatically cancel all your remaining flights. You need AC to alter your ticket and confirm it.

As others mentioned, that's too far away, especially given all the recent wild weather in YOW/YUL. I wouldn't normally be too worried about the snow, unless you have a very short connection in YYZ.
- Absolute
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 12, 2011
3808 posts
355 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Absolute wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 9:09 am
I'd be careful about a plan to leave from YYZ and not YUL - weather waivers typically allow you to change your booking +/- 3 days when they are announced. That's it... they don't allow you to change your origin or destination airport using the online tool, and agents are told not to allow that either.

In fact, here is the guide sent to agents (silly AC, leaving searchable on Google): https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... sories.pdf



While you may think that there is no cost to AC and it's win/win, they don't see it that way. Direct flights are usually priced higher than connections (i.e., you pay more to fly YYZ-CUN than YUL-YYZ-CUN), which is why hidden city ticketing is so popular.

And you can't just decide to skip your YUL-YYZ flight and show up in Toronto - if you miss a flight leg, AC will automatically cancel all your remaining flights. You need AC to alter your ticket and confirm it.

As others mentioned, that's too far away, especially given all the recent wild weather in YOW/YUL. I wouldn't normally be too worried about the snow, unless you have a very short connection in YYZ.
Thanks. I've got a 2 hour 15 min layover in YYZ, so hopefully things are okay. Meant to get 15CM of snow the night before now :(.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 12, 2011
3808 posts
355 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
burnt69 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 7:26 pm
Is there an non-stop out of YUL for the same destination by any chance?
The next day there is :(.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 20, 2003
10871 posts
275 upvotes
Ottawa
Typhoonz wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 9:31 am
Thanks. I've got a 2 hour 15 min layover in YYZ, so hopefully things are okay. Meant to get 15CM of snow the night before now :(.
That's not too bad, especially since you just need to head to the international terminal, and not re-clear US immigration/security. Even if you can't make the first flight, going standby an hour later still gives you plenty of time to connect. Additionally, depending on your destination, there may be another flight later in the day from YYZ you could standby on.

What is your destination in Mexico? I can use a tool to check flights and if there is space on each.
- Absolute
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 12, 2011
3808 posts
355 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Absolute wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 8:34 pm
That's not too bad, especially since you just need to head to the international terminal, and not re-clear US immigration/security. Even if you can't make the first flight, going standby an hour later still gives you plenty of time to connect. Additionally, depending on your destination, there may be another flight later in the day from YYZ you could standby on.

What is your destination in Mexico? I can use a tool to check flights and if there is space on each.
Heading to PVR. I have access to the info too, only one flight a day out of YYZ though :(. Now the forecast is even worse, ugh.

I'm actually in Ottawa and was planning on driving to YUL originally. If AC issues a hard weather alert for Feb 13 for YUL, think I should to try change my flights to fly down to YYZ the evening of the 12th from YOW? YYZ doesn't look like it's going to get completely dumped on and the bulk of the storm won't hit YOW until later in the evening time. Wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to get out in that little pocket of "decent" weather?

Alternatively, I could try rebook on the direct flight from YUL to PVR on Thurs Feb 14.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 20, 2003
10871 posts
275 upvotes
Ottawa
Ahh, too bad - the only other option I see is YUL-IAH-PVR, but with a similar departure timing as the 5:30am YUL-YYZ flight.

Air Canada has issued a travel advisory for YUL, but only for tomorrow - not the 13th: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... tlook.html

Perhaps they will add a new one for tomorrow, but it never hurts to call in. I don't think flying from YOW would be any better though, with 30-40cm on Tuesday and Wednesday... I find Ottawa to be more affected by snow delays, than Montreal.
- Absolute
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 20, 2003
10871 posts
275 upvotes
Ottawa
@Typhoonz AC just announced the YUL weather waiver for the 13th; now is your time to see what you can do.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
- Absolute

Top