• Jul 24th, 2019 12:49 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Changing diet out of necessity?

I’ve been Watching a lot of Gordon Ramsay cooking lately and in general the portion size they serve in the dishes he and his contemporary prepare. I grew up being fed large portions and of cheap fillers. As I’m getting older I don’t think I can do that anymore. It just seems every meal leaves me bloated and feeling I want to vomit.

Thing is, I don’t think it’s just my culture. Italians eat big bowls of spaghetti as well and very hearty desserts. Is it a well kept secret that the rich and smart people who dine on 3+ course meals are in general in better shape than their fast and dirty meal counterparts?

For instance a dish Gordon makes is pork chop with rice. The rice portion is probably a few bites with some vegetables and a pork loin or chop. To me it doesn’t seem sufficient or ami just set in my old ways and need to trick my brain into thinking it’s more than enough?

I had a thick pork chop today for lunch and haven’t eaten anything much afterwards some 12 hours later. Didn’t go crazy on seasoning either just salt and pepper. I’m also going to switch to basmati instead of jasmine for the lower GI.

It’s not that I’m becoming a health nut but it’s the fact trust I feel sluggish after meals and I don’t want to feel that way.
26 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21222 posts
6989 upvotes
GTA
The human body is actually quite tough and you can go for days without food, as long as you're hydrated. It's the current culture status quo of overconsumption. It's killing humans, but I'd like to think of it as population control.

I have been on a 18/6 intermittent fast for a few years now and I've been more healthy then ever with much more energy. But I still cheat from time to time ahaha.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
It sounds like you're overeating. Just start eating less at each meal. You don't have to cut your portions in half all at once. Just start putting less on your plate every couple of days and after about 2 weeks you'll probably find out how much you can consume. It usually takes about 20 mins before your brain knows that you're full. Keep in mind that if you eat less at lunch you'll probably need a bit of a snack between lunch and dinner if there is 6 hours between lunch and dinner.

Sounds like the portion that Gordon Ramsey is serving is spot on. Personally, I might eat just a bit more than what is on his plate just by the sounds of it. As in, maybe a small dessert. I used to eat a lot as a kid/teen but my metabolism use to be pretty high.

Keep in mind that these are just my thoughts. I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor of any kind.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
You can get used to smaller meals. Give it a try and see how it goes. It's not like you have anything to lose.

C
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
By 25 guys have finished growing (last event: chest broadening) and then it starts going to the gut, especially with a desk job. You have to start adjusting then. Yes, it's the filler like rice, pasta, potatoes that does you in. 1-1/2 cups is hugely generous and not sustainable unless you are really active. I'd start watching carbs first and start using veggies as filler.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
lecale wrote: By 25 guys have finished growing (last event: chest broadening) and then it starts going to the gut, especially with a desk job. You have to start adjusting then.
That's absolutely true. Children and teens seem like they can consume anything - pizza and McD's year round. Then when they get in their 20's, they hit the hard realization that keeping fit is not effortless. Unfortunately, they've already developed the habits and patterns of a sedentary lifestyle with overeating, video games, online activities, etc. Growing up in the 80's, I was not exempt from falling into this hole. But somehow, at about 30, I was able to dig myself out and changed my habits. The fitness lifestyle has stuck with me all my life. Unfortunately, the affliction is getting younger as I see more and more fat teens.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I’ve been Watching a lot of Gordon Ramsay cooking lately and in general the portion size they serve in the dishes he and his contemporary prepare. I grew up being fed large portions and of cheap fillers. As I’m getting older I don’t think I can do that anymore. It just seems every meal leaves me bloated and feeling I want to vomit.

Thing is, I don’t think it’s just my culture. Italians eat big bowls of spaghetti as well and very hearty desserts.Is it a well kept secret that the rich and smart people who dine on 3+ course meals are in general in better shape than their fast and dirty meal counterparts?

For instance a dish Gordon makes is pork chop with rice. The rice portion is probably a few bites with some vegetables and a pork loin or chop. To me it doesn’t seem sufficient or ami just set in my old ways and need to trick my brain into thinking it’s more than enough?

I had a thick pork chop today for lunch and haven’t eaten anything much afterwards some 12 hours later. Didn’t go crazy on seasoning either just salt and pepper. I’m also going to switch to basmati instead of jasmine for the lower GI.

It’s not that I’m becoming a health nut but it’s the fact trust I feel sluggish after meals and I don’t want to feel that way.
It's definitely no secret that well educated and wealthy people are, on average, healthier than people who are uneducated and live in poverty.

It kind of sounds like you're choosing to eat too much. Try eating less, consistently, and see how it makes you feel.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
amz155 wrote: It's definitely no secret that well educated and wealthy people are, on average, healthier than people who are uneducated and live in poverty.

It kind of sounds like you're choosing to eat too much. Try eating less, consistently, and see how it makes you feel.
May be not a secret but definitely not as widely acknowledged. Compare a plate prepared by a chef and a dish prepared at home which let’s be honest isn’t far off from the average frozen dinner or standard fair too find in a pickle barrel.

The one take away I consistently get from fine dining dishes are they are very lightly seasoned and sauce is very transparent allowing ingredients natural aroma to come out.

For sure it’s a life style choice.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5130 posts
4924 upvotes
Starches like oats, steamed whole grain rice, beans/lentils and baked naked potatoes have made up a substantial part of my own diet for the last few years and I don't feel sluggish, nor have I gained weight. I even have a whole wheat pasta usually with a marinara style sauce maybe once or twice a week.
Aug 12, 2012
878 posts
437 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Supercooled wrote: May be not a secret but definitely not as widely acknowledged. Compare a plate prepared by a chef and a dish prepared at home which let’s be honest isn’t far off from the average frozen dinner or standard fair too find in a pickle barrel.

The one take away I consistently get from fine dining dishes are they are very lightly seasoned and sauce is very transparent allowing ingredients natural aroma to come out.

For sure it’s a life style choice.
I've felt this way too about restaurants, especially in Canada/US. A couple years ago I went to Germany for a week and ate like a king on pork schnitzel, sausage and potatoes and never felt any bloating like I do when eating out here. Their portion sizes are big and hearty there, but there must be a difference in seasonings or additives in the food.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Frank311 wrote: I've felt this way too about restaurants, especially in Canada/US. A couple years ago I went to Germany for a week and ate like a king on pork schnitzel, sausage and potatoes and never felt any bloating like I do when eating out here. Their portion sizes are big and hearty there, but there must be a difference in seasonings or additives in the food.
I dunno, I went to Germany and felt like my intestines had been packed with meat like one giant bratwurst.

They don't cook with cheese the way that people do in North America though. Here there is so much cheese in everything.
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
230 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Don't apoligize for wanting to eat healthy, good for you. Your body will feel so much better soon. Incorporate spinach, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and beets too. Happy eating. Add the spinach to parboiled rice with a can of coconut milk, with salt and pepper and chicken legs.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Ya, change ur diet out of necessity.... stop eating pork chops.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
jemjem9 wrote: Don't apoligize for wanting to eat healthy, good for you. Your body will feel so much better soon. Incorporate spinach, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and beets too. Happy eating. Add the spinach to parboiled rice with a can of coconut milk, with salt and pepper and chicken legs.

How do YOU cook butternut squash or any of the hard vegetables? I saw a recipe of Ramsay’s where he cooked it like zucchini.

Becks wrote: Ya, change ur diet out of necessity.... stop eating pork chops.

Not sure what you’re getting at but lean pork loin is delicious. Cheaper than chicken and beef and delicious. Did I mention it’s delicious? For a life long meat eater it’s intractable to just stop cold turkey. These home cooked meals have been a saving grace. I’m preoccupied with shopping whole foods and cooking with a personal take on the dish rather than eating frozen pizzas once or twice a week.

I mean you’re bold to say stop eating this or that. What is your diet consist of? Lentils 3 meals a day?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
See a doctor, feeling sluggish, bloated and wanting to vommit after a meal isn’t normal, unless you’re eating at a buffet with extremely large portions of food.
It could be too many things to guess
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
230 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Butternut squash cooks quickly like zucchini. You can even buy it frozen if you don't feel like fighting with it to peel and chop. Saute in butter and garlic or add to just about everything.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I can eat quite a lot of meat and not feel sluggish. What I find makes to sleepy after lunch (and I observed this in my late teens, 20s and even today) is eating a substantial amount of (probably refined) carbs at lunch time after a busy morning and then feeling drowsy afterwards. It's probably the refined carbs that are causing a sugar rush (high glycemic index?) and then a crash afterward. I would add that I still suffer this occasionally even when eating (too much of) my home-made bread (at least 1/3 rye and whole wheat flour).

Might try cutting down on starchy fillers for a start.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Something that has worked wonders for my health is cutting down my meat intake significantly. Up until 3-4 years ago I used to think I had to eat meat with every single meal every day or I wouldn't feel full but now I limit it to 3-4 meals per week, eating vegetarian for most meals and I've never felt better. I've also almost completely cut off junk food and any type of sugary drinks. I regret not having the sense to do this in my 20s but better late than never.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
I think the processed stuff is the worst - it's too digestible and too calorie-dense.

There was a book that came out a number of years ago called Volumetrics and it pointed out if you eat real meat/poultry/fish, fruits and vegetables, your calories/gram is around 1. If you eat processed foods that number is much higher. It's a quick cheat to divide calories/serving size from the nutritional panel to see how far away from a natural diet a food is. Something like chicken nuggets will score a 2.5.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5130 posts
4924 upvotes
lecale wrote: I think the processed stuff is the worst - it's too digestible and too calorie-dense.

There was a book that came out a number of years ago called Volumetrics and it pointed out if you eat real meat/poultry/fish, fruits and vegetables, your calories/gram is around 1. If you eat processed foods that number is much higher. It's a quick cheat to divide calories/serving size from the nutritional panel to see how far away from a natural diet a food is. Something like chicken nuggets will score a 2.5.
That was Barbara Rolls, Ph.D,

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight- ... rics-diet/

You'll more than likely find her books in the library.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)