• Jul 22nd, 2017 7:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 18, 2015
160 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Changing to a double door

I currently have my front door with windows on either side. Do I need a permit to change to a double door?
I live in Markham.

Thanks
25 replies
[OP]
Mar 18, 2015
160 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Thank you
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
restie wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:51 pm
Thank you
Why would you make this change? Double doors provide less security and seal poorly compared to a single door
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
This is easily going to cost 15-20k ...are you sure this is what you want to spend your money on?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
Doubleshot wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:17 am
This is easily going to cost 15-20k ...are you sure this is what you want to spend your money on?
No it's not at all so long as he has 66 inches. The real question is WHY?

If he doesn't have the space and needs extensive brickwork it's still under 8k.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1235 posts
424 upvotes
Alliston, ON
nielboy wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:28 pm
No you don't.
That's not totally true.... If you need to increase the size of the door opening to make double doors fit, then yes you would need a permit as there would be structural work involved
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
schade wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:03 am
That's not totally true.... If you need to increase the size of the door opening to make double doors fit, then yes you would need a permit as there would be structural work involved
The project is untenable for cost if you need to start cutting concrete. No law saying they need to be 32" doors either... I have had people want double doors so much we did 30" doors. Just ridiculous.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7416 posts
389 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:56 pm
Why would you make this change? Double doors provide less security and seal poorly compared to a single door
Because it looks more "Grand" ;)

All mansions would have a double door entrance. I guess OP wants to change the overall outlook of his house's frontage. But I guess it also depends on the width of the lot. If it is narrow e.g. less than 40', it is not going to make it looks much better/more "Grand" ;)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:19 am
No it's not at all so long as he has 66 inches. The real question is WHY?

If he doesn't have the space and needs extensive brickwork it's still under 8k.
I have a 3000 sf house, with the original double doors. While yes, it's definitely not as 'safe' or efficient, I do like the option of being able to open both doors when having had to move furniture or stuff to my back elevated deck. Maybe OP wants that option?

Since mine is still the original oak type door, any idea what a replacement would cost? It seems impossible to find out online to even get a general ballpark range for the product. For sure installation will be variable I assume based on what would need to be done.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1563 posts
286 upvotes
Markham
I live in Markham.
When I bought my house, it came with really old and worn single door with double sidelites.
I replaced the single door with double sidelites to a double door system (multi point lock, solid pvc frame). If I remember correctly, it costed me $8k.
No permit required.
May 28, 2017
204 posts
60 upvotes
Grand doors are suppose to add value to a house it also makes it much easier to bring furniture in the house and pianos as such.

I think you might need a permit because you need a proper header over doors -sure a contractor would do it and nobody would notice but he should put in a proper header or your house could collapse onto you.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
rdx wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:06 am
Because it looks more "Grand" ;)

All mansions would have a double door entrance. I guess OP wants to change the overall outlook of his house's frontage. But I guess it also depends on the width of the lot. If it is narrow e.g. less than 40', it is not going to make it looks much better/more "Grand" ;)
Mansions have a double door and double sidelites with a monster transom window above. Don't get it twisted. Do those all the time too.

A moveable object against a moveable object isn't that secure nor as weather sealing. And the whole "I want to open both doors to move stuff" is a terrible arguement. Why give up a 36" daily use door for a 32" door which is a pain to get in and out of with groceries for the ONE time a year you want to open both doors? The smarter decision there is to go with a 42" door and sidelites and you have the best of both worlds.

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
at1212b wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:13 pm
I have a 3000 sf house, with the original double doors. While yes, it's definitely not as 'safe' or efficient, I do like the option of being able to open both doors when having had to move furniture or stuff to my back elevated deck. Maybe OP wants that option?

Since mine is still the original oak type door, any idea what a replacement would cost? It seems impossible to find out online to even get a general ballpark range for the product. For sure installation will be variable I assume based on what would need to be done.
If you want oak look with full glass budget 8-12k depending on exact options. If you want wood 15k

Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:10 pm
If you want oak look with full glass budget 8-12k depending on exact options. If you want wood 15k
Yikes. How about the cheaper options?