Careers

changing jobs one bank to another - conflict of int?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 10:46 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Milton, ON

changing jobs one bank to another - conflict of int?

I am just wondering if changing jobs from one bank and going to another bank is considered conflict of interest.

Also does it matter whether a person is contractor/ft at first job or the one they're going to?

Thanks
7 replies
Jan 15, 2017
56 posts
52 upvotes
Happens all the time.
Unless you have a gardening leave in your contract, nothing to worry about. And if you don't know what I'm referring to, also don't worry about it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7733 posts
4533 upvotes
Edmonton
If you were contract, you should review your contract and ensure you’re not breaking any portion of it. As an employee, it’s not as much of a deal.

C
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1410 posts
194 upvotes
Tis the season to switch, bonuses were paid out and now everyone scrambles.
Jul 13, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Is it easier to switch as there's more job openings or harder since everyone is looking to move around, thus more competition?
Jan 1, 2015
217 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You should be happy you changed to another bank. Highly likely that you can enjoy a 2 week vacation when you give your 2 weeks notice. They'll just kick you out because you're leaving to a direct competitor.

MatterL wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:26 am
Is it easier to switch as there's more job openings or harder since everyone is looking to move around, thus more competition?
It's always easy to switch to another bank. Back when I worked for one of the big 5 (biggest one), I sent out applications to other banks for the hell of it and got interviews. During a casual conversation with the VP, he even told me that banks are extremely incestuous and always "share" employees.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9490 posts
1997 upvotes
Markham
It is very common that bank staff jump and work for another bank.
Nothing too secret about, if your role is sensitive, they will send you home right away once you resign and not stay there for the last 2 weeks.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7918 posts
3784 upvotes
Toronto
best thing you can do is change banks. only way to the top is playing bank roulette.
aim to get all 5 of the major ones on your resume within 15 years and you'll be EVP in no time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)