Automotive

Changing the oil and coolant,first time...tips?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2012 7:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
SimonUthiner wrote: Going to a service to change oil and coolant and all the stuffs (air filter and oil filter) isn't an easier option?

+1

I mean if you haven't even got a clue what type of oil goes in your vehicle etc. etc. I suspect DIY maintenance won't be the smartest move. :lol:

As I said earlier, do your homework taking the time do the required research to find a trustworthy shop that has a reputation for honest and competent work and work with that shop to help you keep your vehicle well maintained.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
275 upvotes
Here
poedua wrote: +1

I mean if you haven't even got a clue what type of oil goes in your vehicle etc. etc. I suspect DIY maintenance won't be the smartest move. :lol:

You got to start from somewhere. People are capable of learning! We are just talking about the absolute basic of maintenance here, not like he is about to tackle an engine overhaul.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
g.L wrote: for your accord; engine oil is 5w20 (non synthetic or synthetic is your choice), coolant is honda type 2 coolant - blue color.
thrifthunter wrote: -1

You got to start from somewhere. People are capable of learning! We are just talking about the absolute basic of maintenance here, not like he is about to tackle an engine overhaul.
Damn. So Honda Type 2 coolant, it is huh? Not sure when the last flush was done. But with the temperature in the 30-40's, I think I will have to double check the coolant levels and pour in whatever I can find in a 50/50 mix with distilled water. Is reverse osmosis water the same as distilled water?

Does Costco carry any coolant?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
If you don't know what you are doing, coolant may be a dangerous thing to do. You have to know what you are doing and know how to bleed the air in the cooling system. If you don't, you'll have an overheating car in your hands which could do more damage to your wallet and your car.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Poulet wrote: If you don't know what you are doing, coolant may be a dangerous thing to do. You have to know what you are doing and know how to bleed the air in the cooling system. If you don't, you'll have an overheating car in your hands which could do more damage to your wallet and your car.
Thanks for the warning Poulet. I'm just topping it up with a 50/50 mix just in case the level is suboptimal. It is a no brainer once I find the right coolant for my car.

For flushing, I will let my mechanic handle that.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
qaz393 wrote: buy a shop manual if you have no idea what you are doing. you have to drain the coolant from a couple of places.
You should have no trouble borrowing a shop manual from the library, or even getting it online.

We use synthetic oil on all our vehicles; your engine will be better off in the long run. It is especially important when in extreme temperatures, particularly cold ones. Make sure you what you are doing before tackling this job.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: Thanks for the warning Poulet. I'm just topping it up with a 50/50 mix just in case the level is suboptimal. It is a no brainer once I find the right coolant for my car.

For flushing, I will let my mechanic handle that
First thing, coolant is hazardous waste. You cannot just dump it in the drain. It is also very poisonous to animals. Cats and dogs like it a lot because it is sweet so, keep pets away.
Also, when you take the car to a mechanic, make sure they don't just do a flush. Make sure they remove your old antifreeze and new, fresh antifreeze gets put in. there are many machines out there that either filter your old stuff or "condition" it and put it right back into your car.
This is very important, make sure you get new, out of the jug stuff.
And don't worry abut what water you mix in with it. It can be tap water (and it comes with tap water from the factory). The environment is so corrosive and hot that spending money for distilled, reverse osmosis, Brita filtered or ionized, makes no difference.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: First thing, coolant is hazardous waste. You cannot just dump it in the drain. It is also very poisonous to animals. Cats and dogs like it a lot because it is sweet so, keep pets away.
Also, when you take the car to a mechanic, make sure they don't just do a flush. Make sure they remove your old antifreeze and new, fresh antifreeze gets put in. there are many machines out there that either filter your old stuff or "condition" it and put it right back into your car.
This is very important, make sure you get new, out of the jug stuff.
And don't worry abut what water you mix in with it. It can be tap water (and it comes with tap water from the factory). The environment is so corrosive and hot that spending money for distilled, reverse osmosis, Brita filtered or ionized, makes no difference.
Thanks for the pointers Pete. I'll use RO water for the savings then. Actually, before getting to excited, I will check the coolant level first. ;)
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Coolants are *not* interchangeable. Do not use the incorrect coolant.

Oils are mostly interchangeable. 5W-20 or 0W-20 is optimal for that vehicle. 5W-30 could be used in a pinch. 10W-30 / 5W-40 won't destroy the engine, but it won't perform as well and will be harder on the starter in the wintertime.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: Coolants are *not* interchangeable. Do not use the incorrect coolant.

Oils are mostly interchangeable. 5W-20 or 0W-20 is optimal for that vehicle. 5W-30 could be used in a pinch. 10W-30 / 5W-40 won't destroy the engine, but it won't perform as well and will be harder on the starter in the wintertime.
Yeah, a quick search calls for Honda Type 2 coolant which is already pre-mixed.

"Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2"
"Honda Genuine HG"
"50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze"
Dealer Item

As was mentioned on this or another thread, though now I realize it's for S2000's but may apply to my Civic too. :)

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/163467- ... e-coolant/
------
Honda uses a non-silicate formula - I have pictures from Honda Engineering of head erosion from using regular "green" coolants. Do not do it!

There are other non-silicates. Toyota's Red coolant, and Ford's "Premium Gold" are excellent, long-life coolants. The Ford product is based on the G-5 glysantin formulation developed by BASF, and widely used in German luxo/perf cars.
------

http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/simple.html - hopefully the overflow reservoir will be way over the minimum amount.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
found my manual here:

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/assets/OWN ... aCivic.pdf

and just checked the the radiator coolant level is still at max. But not sure how I can see through the opaque reserve tank for the coolant level. Might have to shine a flashlight at night to get a better sense of the level. :) It's way below that looking at it at an angle doesn't help.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: found my manual here:

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/assets/OWN ... aCivic.pdf

and just checked the the radiator coolant level is still at max. But not sure how I can see through the opaque reserve tank for the coolant level. Might have to shine a flashlight at night to get a better sense of the level. :) It's way below that looking at it at an angle doesn't help.
Good gawd man, open the friggen cap on the reservoir. Just look in the reservoir or stick your finger in and check the level. If it is down it ain't no big deal. There is lots of fluid. If your car is not running hot, it is OK. The idiot lights on the car will prevent you from doing damage.
I appreciate that you are trying to learn all things automotive but surely you have some common sense. You must have searched every post on antifreeze and posted questions on each one. :facepalm:
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Thanks for looking out for my interest Pete. Enjoy the long weekend. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)