• Aug 14th, 2015 9:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2842 posts
720 upvotes

Changing pot light fixtures

I've got some older style pot lights in my ceiling, between my 1st and 2nd levels. I'd like to swap them out for a different style (including one that supports LED light bulbs). Since the wiring, the cutouts etc are already done, do I all have to is just swap them out? Do I need to worry about things like vapor barrier or such?

Thanks.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2842 posts
720 upvotes
So this whole project came about because one of the lights starting going on and off on its own. I thought it was the bulb so I swapped it out with one that I know works, but no joy (bulb is an MR16 ). The guy at Home Depot said that it was probably the transformer, as it was a very common problem with fixtures that used that type of bulb (after reading about it online, it could also be the thermocouple?). I figured that I would swap them out with a newer fixture that would allow me to use an LED bulb.

Would the retrofit kit do the job?
(\__/)
Mar 3, 2013
516 posts
265 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
How old are these potlights and what size are they? Posting some pics would be a good idea. If they are MR16 bulbs then they do have a transformer which are notorious for crapping out.
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
If you'll be swapping out the fixtures, make sure the diameters are the same so it fits in the existing drywall cutout.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2842 posts
720 upvotes
I've attached some pics.

Here are some pics: link

They are at least 10 years old, probably quite a bit more than that. They look like they are 4" lights - quite small. I can't figure out how to get the light "out" of the drywall. I'm not sure how to pop the springs (I did include a pic on how far I am able to pull it out). Once I do, I will take another pic with the light out of drywall. I didn't take a picture of the bulb, but you will notice that socket has two little pins, which I believe are MR16s.

I would appreciate your thoughts.
(\__/)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
Pull out the housing from the ceiling if it's a retrofit, or otherwise take a picture of the inside of the housing that will show what model the housing is. One way or another, the trim comes off first.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
e-man wrote: ....They look like they are 4" lights - quite small. I can't figure out how to get the light "out" of the drywall. I'm not sure how to pop the springs (I did include a pic on how far I am able to pull it out). Once I do, I will take another pic with the light out of drywall. I didn't take a picture of the bulb, but you will notice that socket has two little pins, which I believe are MR16s.

I would appreciate your thoughts.
Turn off the switch, put a masking tape over it.
Pull out the face plate as you would to replace the bulb.
Look inside for 2 screws opposite to each other.
As you unscrew them you will feel the fixture is being detached from the dry wall.
Once loose, pull the whole fixture out. Wires' lengthy enough for you to having it tangling.
After all you need to hook up the fixture wire to the line.

Buy something like this $69/6pk from Rona, comes in white or brushed nickel:

http://www.rona.ca/en/fixtures---set-of ... t-fixtures

[IMG]http://www.rona.ca/images/8409018_M.jpg[/IMG]

You may/may not have to enlarge the existing pot holes which is quite easy anyway.
Keep an eye on LED GU10 sale. Got mine for around $4 each after coupon.

P.S. Also buy marettes. The rectangular box besides the pot is where the connection is done.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
Please buy PROPER potlights, not those builder special stupid packs of lights. They make your house look cheap.

Liteline pots aren't that expensive. Go to a wholesaler.