• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2017 9:10 am
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
31 posts
9 upvotes

Chapman's Sorbet - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else tried Chapman's Sorbet? https://www.chapmans.ca/Products/Sorbet/#RainbowSorbet

I bought one and shared them with my family for the first time and IT IS SOOO GOODDDD!!!!! Peanut Free, Gluten Free, Lactose Free but you will not be able to tell (imo)!

This is just a recommendation.

Also, FYI, they are on sale at Foodland this week (Ad below)
Images
  • Sorbet.JPG
Last edited by bestdealer17 on Dec 7th, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ingredients:

Water, Sugar, Glucose, Raspberry Puree (sugar, raspberries, glucose, water, xanthan gum, guar gum, sodium benzoate, colour), Orange Puree (sugar, water, orange peel, natural flavour, locust bean gum, guar gum, colour, sodium benzoate), Locust Bean Gum, Methyl Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Citric Acid, Natural Flavour, Colour.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3812 posts
535 upvotes
Regina
try the punch recipe with this product...add booze if you wish, really really good
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2441 posts
1321 upvotes
Why would sorbet have peanuts, gluten or lactose anyways?

It's basically just sugar and ice...
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9895 posts
918 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:01 pm

Because marketing BS.

Just like the Chapman's Premium Ice Cream. There's no legal definition of what "premium ice cream" means in Canada. In the US, it's considered brands like Haagen Dazs with 16% milk fat as premium. Looking at the nutritional content, it looks like Chapman's Premium Ice Cream barely qualifies under the legal definition of calling it ice cream in Canada. Keep in mind the rules in Canada are more lax than the US (8% vs 10%), so technically Chapman's Premium Ice Cream cannot be marketed in the US as ice cream.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
31 posts
9 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:31 pm
Because marketing BS.

Just like the Chapman's Premium Ice Cream. There's no legal definition of what "premium ice cream" means in Canada. In the US, it's considered brands like Haagen Dazs with 16% milk fat as premium. Looking at the nutritional content, it looks like Chapman's Premium Ice Cream barely qualifies under the legal definition of calling it ice cream in Canada. Keep in mind the rules in Canada are more lax than the US (8% vs 10%), so technically Chapman's Premium Ice Cream cannot be marketed in the US as ice cream.
No idea where you are getting your definition or facts from, but Premium Ice Cream is defined as Ice Cream with less air and more content!

Chapman's Premium Ice Cream is not a competitor of Haagen Dazs (they are more of Novelties), the actual comparison is more in line with Nestle's "Real Dairy" (which is edible oil), while Chapman's use 100% Canadian Dairy.

All you have to do is read the labels to compare.

Also no Canadian made Dairy can be found in US market, as it has to do with Canadian Dairy vs American Dairy.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
31 posts
9 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:01 pm

Because people who are lactose intolerant need to have certified products. Sugar, Ice, and fruits make a Sorbet.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2118 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
Becks wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:03 pm
Ingredients:

Water, Sugar, Glucose, Raspberry Puree (sugar, raspberries, glucose, water, xanthan gum, guar gum, sodium benzoate, colour), Orange Puree (sugar, water, orange peel, natural flavour, locust bean gum, guar gum, colour, sodium benzoate), Locust Bean Gum, Methyl Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Citric Acid, Natural Flavour, Colour.
Apple = cellulose, pectin, lignin, fructose, sucrose, malic, tartaric, and citric acids, tannins, amygdaline and cyanide in the seeds.
So??
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9895 posts
918 upvotes
bestdealer17 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:58 am
No idea where you are getting your definition or facts from, but Premium Ice Cream is defined as Ice Cream with less air and more content!

Chapman's Premium Ice Cream is not a competitor of Haagen Dazs (they are more of Novelties), the actual comparison is more in line with Nestle's "Real Dairy" (which is edible oil), while Chapman's use 100% Canadian Dairy.

All you have to do is read the labels to compare.

Also no Canadian made Dairy can be found in US market, as it has to do with Canadian Dairy vs American Dairy.
My source it the Canadian Government. Educate yourself: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... .html#h-76
B.08.062 . Ice Cream

(a) shall be the frozen food obtained by freezing an ice cream mix, with or without the incorporation of air;

(b) may contain cocoa or chocolate syrup, fruit, nuts or confections;

(c) shall contain not less than

(i) 36 per cent solids,

(ii) 10 per cent milk fat, or, where cocoa or chocolate syrup, fruit, nuts, or confections have been added, eight per cent milk fat, and

(iii) 180 grams of solids per litre of which amount not less than 50 grams shall be milk fat, or, where cocoa or chocolate syrup, fruit, nuts or confections have been added, 180 grams of solids per litre of which amount not less than 40 grams shall be milk fat; and

(d) shall contain not more than

(i) 100,000 bacteria per gram, and

(ii) 10 coliform organisms per gram,

as determined by official method MFO-2, Microbiological Examination of Ice Cream or Ice Milk, November 30, 1981.
You can drop requirements as low as 8% milk fat and only 36% solids to be considered ice cream in Canada. There is no legal definition of "Premium Ice Cream" in Canada. In the US, the legal definition of ice cream is 50% solids and 10% milk fat. The measures of what's premium or even super premium is not just that it has more product (ie less air), but also the milk fat content. More milk fat, more premium. There's no such category for "Novelties".

Also your claim is completely false:

Nestle's "Real Dairy" has the same 100% Canadian Dairy. Just like Chapman's. You're just comparing mediocre product to another. If one tastes better for you then great, but the quality between the two look very similar seeing that both use modified milk, artificial flavors and gumming agents.

My point wasn't about comparing Canadian milk to US milk. It was that Chapman's Premium ice cream is just pure marketing BS. There's nothing "Premium" about it. But you still want more proof? Here's are the nutritional labels for both Haagen Dazs Vanilla, Chapman's Premium Vanilla and Nestle's Real Dairy. I'll leave it to you to figure out which one is the premium one.

Haagen Dazs Vanilla

Chapman's Pemium Vanilla
Cream, Modified Milk Ingredients, Glucose, Sugar, French Vanilla Flavour Base (sugar/glucose-fructose, liquid egg yolk, water, natural flavour, colour, potassium sorbate), Mono and Diglycerides, Locust Bean Gum, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Dextrose, Natural Flavour.

Nestle's Real Dairy

Just a side note, I have nothing against gumming agents or artificial flavors, but I just don't like them in ice cream. This is why I stick with Haagen Dazs and PC Black Label.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
31 posts
9 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:59 am
My source it the Canadian Government. Educate yourself: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... .html#h-76

You can drop requirements as low as 8% milk fat and only 36% solids to be considered ice cream in Canada. There is no legal definition of "Premium Ice Cream" in Canada. In the US, the legal definition of ice cream is 50% solids and 10% milk fat. The measures of what's premium or even super premium is not just that it has more product (ie less air), but also the milk fat content. More milk fat, more premium. There's no such category for "Novelties".

Also your claim is completely false:

Nestle's "Real Dairy" has the same 100% Canadian Dairy. Just like Chapman's. You're just comparing mediocre product to another. If one tastes better for you then great, but the quality between the two look very similar seeing that both use modified milk, artificial flavors and gumming agents.

My point wasn't about comparing Canadian milk to US milk. It was that Chapman's Premium ice cream is just pure marketing BS. There's nothing "Premium" about it. But you still want more proof? Here's are the nutritional labels for both Haagen Dazs Vanilla, Chapman's Premium Vanilla and Nestle's Real Dairy. I'll leave it to you to figure out which one is the premium one.

Haagen Dazs Vanilla

Chapman's Pemium Vanilla
Cream, Modified Milk Ingredients, Glucose, Sugar, French Vanilla Flavour Base (sugar/glucose-fructose, liquid egg yolk, water, natural flavour, colour, potassium sorbate), Mono and Diglycerides, Locust Bean Gum, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Dextrose, Natural Flavour.

Nestle's Real Dairy

Just a side note, I have nothing against gumming agents or artificial flavors, but I just don't like them in ice cream. This is why I stick with Haagen Dazs and PC Black Label.
All fantastic points, and again you are absolutely correct on Haagen Dazs (but they are considered as Novelties) has nothing to do with Premium.

And as you pointed out in the definition, you've proved my point above.

Lastly, you said mediocre product to mediocre product but Nestle is the maker of Haagen Dazs.

But again the focus of this thread is my love and recommendation of the Sorbet
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:50 am
Apple = cellulose, pectin, lignin, fructose, sucrose, malic, tartaric, and citric acids, tannins, amygdaline and cyanide in the seeds.
So??
An apple is a whole food. Process it by breaking it up, and adding back "natural flavour", this reconstituted apple is not an apple.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9895 posts
918 upvotes
bestdealer17 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:27 am
All fantastic points, and again you are absolutely correct on Haagen Dazs (but they are considered as Novelties) has nothing to do with Premium.

And as you pointed out in the definition, you've proved my point above.

Lastly, you said mediocre product to mediocre product but Nestle is the maker of Haagen Dazs.

But again the focus of this thread is my love and recommendation of the Sorbet
There's no category called "Novelties". Stop making up nonsense.

Companies can make any level of quality with their product. Chapman's even sells "Ice Milk" products that don't even meet the definition of ice cream in Canada. That's like me saying well Chapman's sells ice milk, therefore their "Premium" ice cream is terrible. You argument is nonsensical and faulty.

Also my response was directly to your response, so don't tell me I'm off topic. You took it there by responding to me with your misguided beliefs.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
31 posts
9 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:44 am
There's no category called "Novelties". Stop making up nonsense.

Companies can make any level of quality with their product. Chapman's even sells "Ice Milk" products that don't even meet the definition of ice cream in Canada. That's like me saying well Chapman's sells ice milk, therefore their "Premium" ice cream is terrible. You argument is nonsensical and faulty.

Also my response was directly to your response, so don't tell me I'm off topic. You took it there by responding to me with your misguided beliefs.
I hope you have some Ice Cream of any brand you like and that your day gets a little better. Seems like you really need it.

All the best to you
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2009
1269 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
bestdealer17 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 12:01 pm
I hope you have some Ice Cream of any brand you like and that your day gets a little better. Seems like you really need it.

All the best to you

Grabspopcorn.gif
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9895 posts
918 upvotes
bestdealer17 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 12:01 pm

All the best to you
Got nothing left but personal attacks? Not surprised.