Expired Hot Deals

[Chapters Indigo] BODUM®BISTRO BURR COFFEE GRINDER – STAINLESS STEEL $150 - 25% - 10% = $101.25

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2017 8:09 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7605 posts
2952 upvotes
East York
so i've had this but in plastic (green colour) which i got on sale for $39. garbage... broke in less than half a year and now makes a loud noise now every time i grind with it. make sure you don't turn the fine grind setting while it's turned on, although it slowly moves on it's own.

i'm using another burr grinder i picked up which is not as good, but at least it's not as loud. maybe i'll get around to fixing it one day.
Nov 9, 2007
331 posts
143 upvotes
Scarborough
sammjm wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 7:23 pm
this or Baratza Encore for 153$?
Assuming you're not using either for espresso.
Encore 100%.
Many replaceable parts, great customer service, and last I've researched , the grind consistency is better.
Sep 2, 2014
144 posts
70 upvotes
Poepoies wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 8:00 pm
Encore 100%.
Many replaceable parts, great customer service, and last I've researched , the grind consistency is better.
can't be used neither for espresso machine with pressurized portafilter? i have read many reviews that the encore can be calibrated to give a fine grind which lead to a good result on machine with pressurized portafilter.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2007
555 posts
143 upvotes
ben2003 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:30 pm
you could buy giftcard at SDM (8000 promo) to make it even nice.
True, but then you won't get an extra year warranty that you would get if you pay for it with your credit card.
Last edited by ipassgas on Nov 5th, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2007
555 posts
143 upvotes
Poepoies wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 8:00 pm
Encore 100%.
In all fairness, you are at totally different price points.... you are comparing something costing $100 to something costing $150.
I like my Lexus better than I like my honda ----- but it's not a fair comparrison. My lexus cost me 50% more too.
I'm not bashing the Baratza, but iit is 1.5 times the price and the 2 items shouldn't be compared. Why not take it up a notch and compare it to the $300 Breville?
Last edited by ipassgas on Nov 5th, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 9, 2007
331 posts
143 upvotes
Scarborough
sammjm wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 8:08 pm
can't be used neither for espresso machine with pressurized portafilter? i have read many reviews that the encore can be calibrated to give a fine grind which lead to a good result on machine with pressurized portafilter.
you're right, it does grind "acceptable" espresso but by no means optimal...
if you're going to get good fresh beans single origin beans or beans then you want to maximize the quality of the grinder.

there no acceptable espresso grinders in the sub 200 range. Lido is a good recommendation
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2145 posts
984 upvotes
Ottawa
I have this grinder and it does an excellent job grinding at the finest few settings. I used to use it with my Breville (pump was broken) but now I'm using it to grind oily dark roast beans for the Saeco automatic machine that the Saeco built-in grinder has trouble with Smiling Face With Open Mouth I examined the spent coffee pucks from both grinders and this Bodum's ground coffee was finer than the Saeco's finest setting. For me, I don't see a need to go up to the Baratza series, it's more than adequate for my daily coffee fix Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

I agree that the Bodum is loud, but so is my other grinder. I may take the advice from poster zoob about putting a towel underneath to help absorb the sound.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2145 posts
984 upvotes
Ottawa
stjonnypopo wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 2:02 pm
I have an older Saeco espresso machine, it has the built in grinder and everything, but I find the coffee tastes wattery no matter what I do with it.
Check out this article from Philips/Saeco
Troubleshooting - The brewed coffee with my Philips/Saeco espresso machine's is watery
or this
Question - The brewed coffee is getting watery or only water comes out. What can I do?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1032 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ipassgas wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 9:45 am
BODUM®BISTRO BURR COFFEE GRINDER – STAINLESS STEEL
Amazon price is $193. Linnen Chest price is 154.99
Use code YESNOV for an additonal 10% off the already discounted price of 112.50
And don't forget your favourite referral site for an additional 3.25% off.

From what I can tell based on reviews, this is a great burr grinder for the price. It might not be perfect if you require a very fine grind for an espresso machine. but at the $100 price point seems to be far better than anything similar.
Buy Indigo gift card from SDM first, that's another 8% back
Oct 1, 2006
312 posts
36 upvotes
Scarborough, Ontario
Great grinder but really stupid lid design. I am using rubber bands to keep it from falling off the grinder spilling beans...
Oct 27, 2015
44 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP. Been in the market for a better coffee grinder. Been eyeing the Cuisinart Burr Grinder that is selling for $49.99 at Costco. Any idea on how the bodum compares... other than of course the price?

Nov 24, 2012
334 posts
180 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Daufin02 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 10:14 pm
Thanks OP. Been in the market for a better coffee grinder. Been eyeing the Cuisinart Burr Grinder that is selling for $49.99 at Costco. Any idea on how the bodum compares... other than of course the price?

FYI I bought the Cuisinart grinder at Costco and then did some research (Costco shopping logic, you don't know if it will be there next time). The reviews on this one are very poor, so it's probably going back unopened.
Oct 27, 2015
44 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tvisforme wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 10:20 pm
FYI I bought the Cuisinart grinder at Costco and then did some research (Costco shopping logic, you don't know if it will be there next time). The reviews on this one are very poor, so it's probably going back unopened.
Thanks. Will go ahead and order the Bodum.

What's stopped me from buying the Costco grinder is that it has been, in the past, reduced to 29.97 before. I don't want to be left holding the bag by paying full price now.
Last edited by Daufin02 on Nov 5th, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 24, 2012
334 posts
180 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
ipassgas wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 8:30 pm
In all fairness, you are at totally different price points.... you are comparing something costing $100 to something costing $150.
I like my Lexus better than I like my honda ----- but it's not a fair comparrison. My lexus cost me 50% more too.
I'm not bashing the Baratza, but iit is 1.5 times the price and the 2 items shouldn't be compared. Why not take it up a notch and compare it to the $300 Breville?
I understand your point, but I don't think that it is applicable in this particular situation. From what I can see, the Baratza and the Bodum have comparable regular prices ($185 vs $189) on Amazon.
Aug 22, 2004
766 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
I just spent $101 I did not expect to spend. Thanks RFD.