Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Chapters Indigo

Kobo Aura 2 - $110 ($20 off) at Chapters-Indigo and Walmart

Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
JackWhyte wrote: maybe that's why you have night vision problems now?
Fortunately, I have no “night vision problems”. Just preferences.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
JackWhyte wrote: have you updated regularly to the latest firmware, because we have 2 and neither exhibit the issues you're having.
Of course I updated [whenever device decided to connect to the WiFi. My other devices do not have any problems.] but to no avail.
JackWhyte wrote: then again, needing "white text on black" to read is not a fault of the product, more like your own personal eyes/preference. white on black at 12AM would probably scar my retinas.
Yes. And that is why I prefer using my tablets where it is possible to change intensity and colours of backgrounds/fonts. White background and amount of light it emits actually is way too much for me. It's way better [for me] with darker backdround and soft-coloured font.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
max011 wrote: Fortunately, I have no “night vision problems”. Just preferences.
whatever you want to believe... but you really should see an ophthalmologist as it could mean a lot more than just your eyes.

true story: one of my "online buds" from a comic forum was typing about experiencing eye issues with his PC screen, couldn't stand white light, fatigue, etc. and several people forced his to see a doctor. turns out he had an edema/blood clot in his brain that was about 2 weeks from killing him. no shit, and he was hospitalized for a few weeks and his wife came on his account and thanked us and told us the deal.
Dec 15, 2015
42 posts
73 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote: whatever you want to believe... but you really should see an ophthalmologist as it could mean a lot more than just your eyes.

true story: one of my "online buds" from a comic forum was typing about experiencing eye issues with his PC screen, couldn't stand white light, fatigue, etc. and several people forced his to see a doctor. turns out he had an edema/blood clot in his brain that was about 2 weeks from killing him. no shit, and he was hospitalized for a few weeks and his wife came on his account and thanked us and told us the deal.
Good health tip to all! Thanks Jack
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
JackWhyte wrote: whatever you want to believe... but you really should see an ophthalmologist as it could mean a lot more than just your eyes.

Good to know, thanks! BUT I spend most of the time in front of the monitors [job!] and I have zero issues. It's at night, when I want to read in the bed, in the dark room, that I PREFER to have less light from the screen, and read with the dark background on. That is the the only thing I use eReader for anyway.
Mar 7, 2011
160 posts
92 upvotes
Montreal
As I read quite a few negative things in this thread about the Aura 2, I'd like to give you my 2 cents.
I owned a Sony PRS-700, a Nook STR (which still works) and was considering the Kindle Voyage. I bought and found it great but not $300 great.
I played a bit with the Kobo and liked the form factor. It's light enough and the screen looked good.

I bought it during last BF and honestly, I love it. I don't use the Nook anymore (which doesn't have backlighting).

I know all about the difference on the screen, the absence of SD card and physical buttons. I think all of these are non-issues. 4Gb is lame nowadays but as go ebooks, it's plenty enough (if you consider PDF or technical documentation, don't try that on a 6" e-ink screen). The screen might be less appealing than the previous one but if you don't have them side by side, hard to tell honestly. It's good enough for me. Now, for the physical buttons' this is what failed me on my Sony and my Nook so I won't miss them.

I think that in terms of price and ecosystem, it's a fair deal and recommend people to try it out. I won't convince all the people who thinks it's not worth it to give it a chance, but at least You guys will have another opinion to look at.
May 10, 2015
280 posts
93 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Some Walmarts still seem to have the Glo HD in stock. I got mine in Kitchener Supercentre. Now hunting for a sleepcover.
Dec 29, 2004
583 posts
813 upvotes
SWO
waveparticle1729 wrote: Some Walmarts still seem to have the Glo HD in stock. I got mine in Kitchener Supercentre. Now hunting for a sleepcover.
How much was the Glo? That was at Sunrise?
Banned
Oct 13, 2015
1245 posts
826 upvotes
Sainte-Dorothee, QC
orbitdesign wrote: I prefer the longer battery life and the screen is much easier to read on, especially for extended periods of time.
Love my PaperWhite, very comfortable screen and lighter, easy to carry. Not sure how about this one.
Nov 25, 2014
816 posts
925 upvotes
max011 wrote: Theoretically. Or it’s just another marketing gimmick. No need to cite me “scientific proves” cuz I used to read from little screens even in old times of terribly small Palm Pilots [remember these???] Often sitting in front of the computer monitor [or TV] for hours before bed… and never experienced lack of sleep … Also, new Tablets and even phones [like my Zenfone 3] have “reader mode” that effectively takes care of blue light…
I clearly said "Sleep quality". Blue light regulates melatonin hormone levels in your body when blue light enters your eyes. Your brain uses this to determine your sleep cycles (Light > Deep> REM>Deep>Light). It affects how long it takes you to enter Rapid Eye Movement phase in a sleep cycle and it's length.

There is nothing "Theoretical" about it. The brain knows it's day or night only by the amount of bluelight entering your eyes. Which makes sense, because significant bluelight would only come naturally from sunlight.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
OutOfSt0ck wrote: I clearly said "Sleep quality". Blue light regulates melatonin hormone levels in your body when blue light enters your eyes. Your brain uses this to determine your sleep cycles (Light > Deep> REM>Deep>Light). It affects how long it takes you to enter Rapid Eye Movement phase in a sleep cycle and it's length.

There is nothing "Theoretical" about it. The brain knows it's day or night only by the amount of bluelight entering your eyes. Which makes sense, because significant bluelight would only come naturally from sunlight.
Think whatever makes you happy. I _practically_ have no problems sleeping whatsoever.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)