PC & Video Games

Character Creation in games

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2017 8:21 am

Poll: Generally when I create a human(oid) character, I:

• Total votes: 27. You have voted on this poll.
Create someone who is as close an approximation to what I look like in real life

22%
Create a character who is an idealized version of who I am

15%
Create a character that has the same ethnicity/ethnic features and same gender as me

11%
Create a character that is of a different ethnicity, same gender as me

0%
Create a character that is the same ethnicity, different gender as me

4%
Create a character who resembles another person (actors, celebrities, friends, etc)

0%
Create a hideous, deformed character for fun

4%
Go with a randomized or "official' (think Mass Effect's Sheppard) character

44%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2919 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto

Character Creation in games

Hey everyone, I was wondering how you decide on how to create your player character in games that allow it, and what the thought process is behind it during character creation...
Last edited by M1GOmigs on Mar 9th, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
I always go for making my character as close to actual appearance as possible. I find it makes the experience more immersive and personal for me. Apparently I'm pretty good at it and my friends all find it hilarious when I show up online or they come over and see whatever I'm playing.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1120 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 3:30 pm
I always go for making my character as close to actual appearance as possible. I find it makes the experience more immersive and personal for me. Apparently I'm pretty good at it and my friends all find it hilarious when I show up online or they come over and see whatever I'm playing.
I don't like making someone who looks like me. There's enough uglyness in the real world. No need to add one in the virtual world too :D
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Nov 1, 2005
927 posts
77 upvotes
Opposite gender. Not enough badass woman kicking butt in video games.
Jan 15, 2017
30 posts
12 upvotes
Official character; more authentic and canon IMO. All the dialog choices and plot are canned anyway.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1098 posts
436 upvotes
Hamilton
I generally tweak the stock characters a bit to have hair color and style similar to mine. That's about it.
Spidey wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 10:59 am
You're 26, and your mom still buys your toilet paper.
Jun 30, 2009
491 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver
I used to care what the character looked like. But lately I've found the official or stock is fine. I might touch up the hair a bit and I usually play male.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5609 posts
1175 upvotes
I use the official character when there is one.

For Mass Effect, I chose the official default male Commander Sheppard. I did not want to choose the female Commander Sheppard partly because
for games that have optional romances I did not like the idea of having dialog tree options where guys would flirt with you and you would have the option
to accept their advances.

For games that do not have an official character, whereby you have to create one from scratch, I try to make an decently good looking character.
Games like Demon's, Dark Souls, Bloodborne make that hard to do because the sliders need a lot of tweaking to make one of those.

I spend up to around 30-40 minutes messing around with the sliders or options before finalizing a character.
I also usually do not want to spend too much time customizing a character at the start of the game.

Some of my character creations by the game:

Skyrim Special Edition (PS4 Pro):

Skyrim Legendary Edition (PS3):

For FromSoftware's Souls series games, even if you make an ugly looking character, you can cover their faces up with helmets/decent looking armor anyway.
That's a reason why some people nickname it "Fashion Souls".

Demon's Souls (PS3):

Dark Souls II(PS3):

Bloodborne(PS4):

Dark Souls III (PS4):

Dragon's Dogma (PS3): tried to recreate Ashelia Dalmasca from Final Fantasy XII:

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5609 posts
1175 upvotes
Old article but for Mass Effect 1 through 3:

According to Bioware:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... as-femshep
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... epard.aspx

82% of players played as a Male Commander Sheppard.
Therefore, 18% of players chose to play as a Female Commander Sheppard.

13% of players went with their respective default canon appearances.
Therefore, 87% of players customized their characters before starting the games.

When Bioware had the vote to let fans choose how the default Female Sheppard looks in Mass Effect 3:

The blonde FemShep (#5) won the character design choice by voters. Eventually the designers changed the final
canon Female Sheppard to have red hair, when ginger hair slightly beat out blonde in the 2nd vote to let the fans choose the hair colour.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2011/07/26/m ... ontestants

However, the final in-game model of Female Sheppard loosely resembled the winning pick (supposed to be Sheppard 5 with red hair):

× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel