Students

Charges on tutoring services: how much is appropriate?

[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
301 posts
15 upvotes

Charges on tutoring services: how much is appropriate?

Many tutoring services are available for post-secondary for college and university levels in one-on-one, one-on-few and group discussion. How much is the charge per hour appropriate? Where can I look for those information? Sites such as Kijiji include many advertisement though.
Last edited by cybercavalier on Jun 7th, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Jul 31, 2017
235 posts
54 upvotes
It will depend entirely on the tutor's credentials, experience, etc.

I have an undergraduate and a graduate degree, a couple of post-graduate diplomas at the college level and work as a college professor. If I were to offer tutoring services my rates would be high based on my qualifications (and since I earn over $80 per hour as a prof I wouldn't waste my time doing the work required of a tutor for a small amount of money...I wouldn't expect anywhere near my hourly wage from work, but I would charge accordingly).

Like everything else, you get what you pay for. You can go cheap or you can pay for quality.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
301 posts
15 upvotes
So in other words, you suggested I shall ask for the tutors' credentials and experience when they bring up their desired charges.
Jul 31, 2017
235 posts
54 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 12:07 pm
So in other words, you suggested I shall ask for the tutors' credentials and experience when they bring up their desired charges.
Of course. You should never hire a tutor without knowing their credentials.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
301 posts
15 upvotes
Alright, so what method of tutoring is suitable for each field or subject? For example, I guess that tutoring Biology would be different than tutoring History, even if both subject at post-secondary or university level.

Also despite the money charges, does method of delivery such as one-on-one or group tutoring matter for particular subject? For example, I guess a math tutor could manage a group of 4 high school or canadian college level students (tutees) during a tutoring session in which each student is working on exercise, class notes, test or exam preparation or preparation for applying to math related post-secondary institution but a social science or humanities tutor may want to stick with one theme of the subject for all 4 tutees.
Jul 31, 2017
235 posts
54 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 11:02 pm
Alright, so what method of tutoring is suitable for each field or subject? For example, I guess that tutoring Biology would be different than tutoring History, even if both subject at post-secondary or university level.
The method of tutoring would vary by tutor, even in the same subject (ie. different biology teachers will use different approaches). You need to figure out if they are properly qualified (credentials, experience, etc.) and then discuss their approach/teaching methods to see if you think they will work for you.

Also despite the money charges, does method of delivery such as one-on-one or group tutoring matter for particular subject? For example, I guess a math tutor could manage a group of 4 high school or canadian college level students (tutees) during a tutoring session in which each student is working on exercise, class notes, test or exam preparation or preparation for applying to math related post-secondary institution but a social science or humanities tutor may want to stick with one theme of the subject for all 4 tutees.

Method of delivery matters for the individual student, not so much for the tutor.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)