Page 1 of 2

Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Visa Card

Posted: Jul 30th, 2012 9:01 am
by dswchow
As a Cardmember you will receive:
  • 30,000 Bonus Points after your first purchase
  • 1 Free Night Stay at a Category 1-4 location after account approval
  • No Foreign Currency Transaction Charges on international purchases in addition to the exchange rate
  • 5 points per $1 spent at over 3,500 participating Marriott® locations
  • 2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants
  • 1 point per $1 spent on purchases elsewhere
  • Achieve your next Elite membership level faster with 15 Nights Credit every year
  • Receive one anniversary bonus free night stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year just for having the card
  • No charge for additional cards
  • Annual Fee is waived for the first year
https://www.chase.com/online/canada/mar ... isa-en.htm

Re: Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Visa Card

Posted: Jul 30th, 2012 9:51 am
by Arrgh
Interesting. They used to charge $75 for the first year. That made it so unattractive. Now with so many other cards waiving the first year, there would've be no reason to get this card. So I guess they smartened up to waive the first year. It's good to get it free, and the bonuses. But after that, the Marriott points are not that useful, so it might only be good for those who stay with their hotels a lot.

Posted: Aug 7th, 2012 3:48 pm
by turbov6
It's definitely better than the old card it replaced. It now has no foreign exchange fees and no annual fee the first year. With a bonus of one free Category 4 night and 30K points on approval and after the first transaction.

In the fine print note that you must keep the card a minimum of 6 months or they make take the 30K bonus points and free night back!

Posted: Aug 8th, 2012 8:20 pm
by jerryhung
FlyerTalk discussion
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott ... -card.html

Some received targeted email offer of 50K bonus instead of 30K... that'd be nice

Posted: Aug 13th, 2012 8:26 pm
by PTMBAA
I am surprised how little talk there is about this deal. The sign up bonus of 30K points alone will be enough to get you 10K Aeroplan miles. On top of that, they are throwing in a free night.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/moreRew ... nts=30,000

Feedback pls folks!

Posted: Aug 13th, 2012 11:46 pm
by TorontoEh
interesting, up to 5 free nights (30K bonus for Category1) and fee-free. Also I believe Aeroplan is having conversion bonus from hotel cards.

Posted: Aug 14th, 2012 1:58 am
by dasaylay
Their site states that when you redeem for 4 nights you'll get the 5th night free. Granted it's only for a Category 1 hotel, but technically that would be 6 nights on approval and first spend?

Posted: Aug 14th, 2012 11:31 am
by TorontoEh
Just realized there aren't many CAT1 hotels (at least in the Bay area - SFO) but several Cat2/3 near Oakland-Napa-SanJose area.

Posted: Aug 14th, 2012 2:17 pm
by dasaylay
If you're lucky enough you can earn up to 3 nights if you can find a pointsavers rate for a Cat 4 JW Marriot. 2 nights would be discounted to 15k/night plus your one free night on approval can work in your favour. I put in some random dates for the JW Marriot Beijing in September and for a prepaid/non refundable rate it is about $300CAD/night.

Granted, the JW will have to be on the pointsbreak list which gets updated weekly.

Posted: Aug 21st, 2012 5:54 pm
by Jungle
Just applied for this, they said it will take up to 10 days for a decision.
Thanks for posting, I look forward to the free nights!

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2012 1:27 pm
by turbov6
Jungle wrote: Just applied for this, they said it will take up to 10 days for a decision.
Thanks for posting, I look forward to the free nights!
You can try calling the next business day for an update if you want to speed things up. They will likely know by then.

Posted: Aug 23rd, 2012 6:23 pm
by halflife150
PTMBAA wrote: I am surprised how little talk there is about this deal. The sign up bonus of 30K points alone will be enough to get you 10K Aeroplan miles. On top of that, they are throwing in a free night.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/moreRew ... nts=30,000

Feedback pls folks!
Unless your into Marriott, probably not worth getting for regular use. Churning the signup bonus looks good though with the annual fee waiver.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2012 6:29 pm
by Arrgh
I have the original Marriott rewards card. It had $75 fee, which I got them to waive by calling in. This card wasn't that useful, other than when we go abroad we could use it, to avoid FTF.

After seeing this offer of the new premier card, I called the application line, to make sure I can switch to this new premier card and still get the bonus. They said yes so I applied. My application was at first held up. Turned out it was at a Sears store when I also was asked by the cashier that I can apply for an instant approval Sears card and get $10 off. So at that Sears store I said yes but the cashier wasn't able to get my card approved -- she had a hard time with my name which had a "-".

Few days later I got a letter that my application to the Marriotte Premier visa card was not approved, no reason, no number to call. I called back the original number for application. They had a "rejected" application from me, which was for the Sears card (rejected due to incorrect name put in by the Sears cashier). The lady talked to the supervisor then came back to say there was no reason to reject or hold up my application for the Marriott premier visa card, and they over-rode the original decision, and I'll be getting my card. As for the wrongly submitted Sears card app, that's an unfortunate mess up by the Sears cashier.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2012 8:01 pm
by brunes
Meh, aside from the sign-up bonus, this card sucks. The reward rate is awful. If you want a hotel card, the SPG card is far better rate of return. It's OK to churn though.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2012 10:38 pm
by TorontoEh
brunes wrote: Meh, aside from the sign-up bonus, this card sucks. The reward rate is awful. If you want a hotel card, the SPG card is far better rate of return. It's OK to churn though.
+1 agree.

Posted: Oct 2nd, 2012 9:10 pm
by Jonavin
Wasn't going to bother with this card but those 15 extra status nights does put me into Platinum status. I wish there was an Aeroplan card that did that gave status miles.

Posted: Oct 2nd, 2012 9:33 pm
by Jungle
I got denied for this credit card. I guess I have too much available credit or my score is not high enough.

Posted: Oct 2nd, 2012 11:07 pm
by Arrgh
Arrgh wrote: I have the original Marriott rewards card. It had $75 fee, which I got them to waive by calling in. This card wasn't that useful, other than when we go abroad we could use it, to avoid FTF.

After seeing this offer of the new premier card, I called the application line, to make sure I can switch to this new premier card and still get the bonus. They said yes so I applied. My application was at first held up. Turned out it was at a Sears store when I also was asked by the cashier that I can apply for an instant approval Sears card and get $10 off. So at that Sears store I said yes but the cashier wasn't able to get my card approved -- she had a hard time with my name which had a "-".

Few days later I got a letter that my application to the Marriotte Premier visa card was not approved, no reason, no number to call. I called back the original number for application. They had a "rejected" application from me, which was for the Sears card (rejected due to incorrect name put in by the Sears cashier). The lady talked to the supervisor then came back to say there was no reason to reject or hold up my application for the Marriott premier visa card, and they over-rode the original decision, and I'll be getting my card. As for the wrongly submitted Sears card app, that's an unfortunate mess up by the Sears cashier.
An update. Got the card. They also transferred the balance from the old card over to the new card. Now I'll wait to get the bonus. Can keep this card when going abroad, but other than that this card will be "in the back burner". Will be using the 2% back mbna mc most of the time.

Posted: Oct 3rd, 2012 5:38 am
by hyzyx
brunes wrote: Meh, aside from the sign-up bonus, this card sucks. The reward rate is awful. If you want a hotel card, the SPG card is far better rate of return. It's OK to churn though.
i dont think so.. though it has $120 annual fee, you get a free night every year right? unless you can spend 40K on spg card annually, then yes. this card sucks

imma wait for the 50K sign-up bonus.

Posted: Oct 3rd, 2012 7:08 am
by brunes
hyzyx wrote: i dont think so.. though it has $120 annual fee, you get a free night every year right? unless you can spend 40K on spg card annually, then yes. this card sucks
You get a free night every year - so what? Value of that is around $75 tops. Other than that the ROR is close to 1/3 the SPG card. Anyone who spends even a reasonable amount annually would do a lot better with the SPG card. If Marriott rewards had a better point exchange rate, it might be worth considering.