956 posts
272 upvotes
ON
From what I read it was only one person. Don't think they are closing accounts
Jun 21, 2016
164 posts
43 upvotes
Hamilton
Does anyone know the rules for transferring Marriott points between spouses?
I was told there is a 50k point limit per year (I have gold status so want any hotel bookings to be through my account).
Anyone have experience with this?? Thanks
Jan 4, 2011
621 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal
Ontariotraveller wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:09 pm
I was told there is a 50k point limit per year (I have gold status so want any hotel bookings to be through my account).
Limit of 50k per year at Marriott. But you can get around that by converting your spouse's Marriott points to Starwood points. Then transfer to your Starwood account. (Starwood doesn't have a transfer limit per year, but you can only transfer in increments of 1,000 points.) Then transfer back to your Marriott account.
Sep 25, 2004
755 posts
253 upvotes
Ontariotraveller wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:09 pm
efrant wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:05 pm
Limit of 50k per year at Marriott. But you can get around that by converting your spouse's Marriott points to Starwood points. Then transfer to your Starwood account. (Starwood doesn't have a transfer limit per year, but you can only transfer in increments of 1,000 points.) Then transfer back to your Marriott account.
efrant's suggestion is the easiest. You can also make a booking with one of the Marriott accounts, and any points beyond the 50k point limit needed to finish the booking can be transferred from a spouse. They've actually been enforcing the 50k transfer this year (all 4 of my travel packages this year attempted the 50k transfer first, when it didn't happen at all last year). The one decent benefit of this method is you don't have to wait for the SPG to SPG transfer to take place (it isn't instantaneous like SPG -> MaR / MaR -> SPG). I waited until the last day for the 35% bonus in August, and didn't have time for the SPG to SPG transfer.
Jun 21, 2016
164 posts
43 upvotes
Hamilton
joeags wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:38 am
efrant's suggestion is the easiest. You can also make a booking with one of the Marriott accounts, and any points beyond the 50k point limit needed to finish the booking can be transferred from a spouse. They've actually been enforcing the 50k transfer this year (all 4 of my travel packages this year attempted the 50k transfer first, when it didn't happen at all last year). The one decent benefit of this method is you don't have to wait for the SPG to SPG transfer to take place (it isn't instantaneous like SPG -> MaR / MaR -> SPG). I waited until the last day for the 35% bonus in August, and didn't have time for the SPG to SPG transfer.
Thanks guys, what is the process for transferring between SPG accounts? How long does it take? I have transferred from spg to Marriott, but never done a SPG transfer.
Jan 4, 2011
621 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal
Ontariotraveller wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:43 am
Thanks guys, what is the process for transferring between SPG accounts? How long does it take? I have transferred from spg to Marriott, but never done a SPG transfer.
I think it's usually 1-2 business days, but I have seen reports of up to 5 business days.

EDIT: Here is the link: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferre ... tions.html. Click on the "Pass the Starpoints, Please."
Aug 16, 2013
366 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I can confirm that existing Canadian Marriott Rewards Visa accounts will be closed or converted to another card by March 2018. (Tentative Plan from Chase)
Jan 18, 2014
490 posts
59 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
roofgoof wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:10 pm
I can confirm that existing Canadian Marriott Rewards Visa accounts will be closed or converted to another card by March 2018. (Tentative Plan from Chase)
Any idea what the benefits of the card will be?
Jan 4, 2011
621 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal
roofgoof wrote:
Source please?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2747 posts
1091 upvotes
Vancouver
roofgoof wrote:
How about Amazon Visa? Source?
😎 "How do you like to pay?" "American Express!" 😄
Aug 16, 2013
366 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I can only confirm about Marriott Rewards Visa at this time. They'll end their credit card program by March 2018 as per the current plan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1774 posts
1161 upvotes
Vancouver
roofgoof wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 2:38 pm
I can only confirm about Marriott Rewards Visa at this time. They'll end their credit card program by March 2018 as per the current plan.
Well, shoot, just in time for my March 2018 trip to the USA, which is one of the primary reasons I got this card. I doubt that anything Scotiabank is going to be offering me instead of this card will be decent for foreign currency transactions. Oh well. I think I see a Fido Mastercard in my future.
Jan 4, 2011
621 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 4:23 pm
How long did it take cardholders to get their 50k bonus points after getting this card? I received and started making purchases with it a month ago, first statement has already posted, no points in my Marriott account yet.
Your points will show up on the 18th of the month.
Dec 1, 2003
55 posts
8 upvotes
So if my renewal date is December and they end the card in March, will they be refunding me $90, since I'll only be able to use the card for 3 months?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)