• May 8th, 2018 7:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1337 posts
218 upvotes
Montreal
I just got back from a trip abroad using this CC all the time and didn't have any problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2701 posts
1160 upvotes
edgecroft wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:14 pm
So if my renewal date is December and they end the card in March, will they be refunding me $90, since I'll only be able to use the card for 3 months?
Who knows... likely that they'll just try to transition you to a new card. At that time, you can probably talk to them and figure something out.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 60K 75K | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1774 posts
1161 upvotes
Vancouver
Has anyone tried overpaying this card into a negative balance, and then later recovering that by getting a USD cash advance in the USA? I need $1300 US cash and have a trip to the USA coming up. Chase fees will be 1% ($13), so this would cost me CAD $1637.58, which beats the best currency exchange in town (Charlie's Currency Exchange) by about $7. But do banks I might withdraw from charge commissions to do this? I've never taken a cash advance on a credit card before ever. The US bank I would use only issues Mastercard, not Visa, if that makes a difference.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21136 posts
2005 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 6:37 pm
Has anyone tried overpaying this card into a negative balance, and then later recovering that by getting a USD cash advance in the USA? I need $1300 US cash and have a trip to the USA coming up. Chase fees will be 1% ($13), so this would cost me CAD $1637.58, which beats the best currency exchange in town (Charlie's Currency Exchange) by about $7. But do banks I might withdraw from charge commissions to do this? I've never taken a cash advance on a credit card before ever. The US bank I would use only issues Mastercard, not Visa, if that makes a difference.
This has been done for a while. Any ATM fees are charged by the machines owner. There is a per transaction and per day limit, in addition to your cash limit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1774 posts
1161 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. When I first checked, this scheme was beating the local B&M currency exchange by $7 for a $1300 withdrawal. When I checked two hours later, there was less than a $2 advantage. I think I'll just stick to the currency exchange here at home.
Oct 17, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
My renewal day was Oct. 11 but I don't see the e-certificate posted on my account (I'm not sure where to look for it anymore...). Is it taking that long to show it online or is this a sign the card will be indeed discontinued?
Sep 25, 2004
755 posts
253 upvotes
cstca wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 8:39 am
My renewal day was Oct. 11 but I don't see the e-certificate posted on my account (I'm not sure where to look for it anymore...). Is it taking that long to show it online or is this a sign the card will be indeed discontinued?
The certificate would show under account activity from the drop down at the upper right. Scroll down to unused certificates.

I've noticed on 2nd and 3rd cards, the certificate didn't always post when I thought it was going to, but we cancelled the card to churn it at that point. I wouldn't say it's guaranteed at this point that we wouldn't get the certificate (did you see the 15 night credit either?).
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3409 posts
436 upvotes
Markham
cstca wrote:
I got my renewal certificate and annual fee charged. So now the question is what happens if they are really ending this card in March. I’ve never had a fee based card just end before.
Last edited by Jonavin on Oct 21st, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Jun 21, 2016
164 posts
43 upvotes
Hamilton
joeags wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 1:19 pm
The certificate would show under account activity from the drop down at the upper right. Scroll down to unused certificates.

I've noticed on 2nd and 3rd cards, the certificate didn't always post when I thought it was going to, but we cancelled the card to churn it at that point. I wouldn't say it's guaranteed at this point that we wouldn't get the certificate (did you see the 15 night credit either?).
So you cancelled but did you end up getting the certificate?
Oct 17, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
joeags wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 1:19 pm
It's not there... yet.
Sep 25, 2004
755 posts
253 upvotes
Ontariotraveller wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 3:19 pm
So you cancelled but did you end up getting the certificate?
Those times where it didn't show up before we cancelled, it never appeared. For both my wife and I, on our first card, the certificate was in our account prior to the yearly fee was applied. We then waited a few months before applying again, and then we never received the certificate prior to the yearly fee. I only have 2 experiences with this so far, so I wouldn't call it definite, but that's just what happened for us. We have our next rounds in February and May of next year, and I plan on keeping both cards if we still get the certificates and if the cards continue.
Jun 21, 2016
164 posts
43 upvotes
Hamilton
Ours come due in March and July.
Our experience has been the same. I have had 4 Marriott cards over the past few years. The first 3 the certificate showed up before the annual fee was due.
This last time not. So I did pay the AF, got the certificate then cancelled (so I could churn the card a few months later), the fellow on the phone offered to refund the annual fee for me. I do think they are tightening up.
I am going to wait it out to see if I get the certificate in March and try to cancel after the fact for a refund. If they won’t, I will pay the fee and use the certificate. This may be not an issue if the card dies.
I miss those 50k welcome points, fyf, annual certificates.....
Oct 17, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
cstca wrote:
Update: my e-certificate has been posted online.Expiring date is 10/2018.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)