• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2018 7:50 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 22, 2005
520 posts
55 upvotes
BC
I did it in Europe this summer. Fees were reasonable and fx rates were good. I do notice that fx rate of CAD/USD pair is not very good. At least that's my impression of last couple months of using(just purchasing) it in the States.
Kiraly wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 10:54 am
Has anyone overpaid this card into negative balance, and then used it to get a cash advance in the USA? If so, was it worth it compared to using a normal debit card at an ATM and/or exchanging cash?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1774 posts
1161 upvotes
Vancouver
iceage wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 11:09 am
I do notice that fx rate of CAD/USD pair is not very good. At least that's my impression of last couple months of using(just purchasing) it in the States.
That's weird. I made an online purchase of US $9.80, and it posted today at CAD 12.62. That exactly matches the rate published by Visa.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1503 posts
5 upvotes
I applied for both this card and SPG amex in July 2017. Which one do you think is more likely to be willing to waive my second year annual fee?

and does second year annual fee kick in when they send you the card or when you applied? I didn't one of them until a 3-4 weeks after I applied.
Feb 7, 2011
22 posts
4 upvotes
deeplove wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 3:28 pm
I applied for both this card and SPG amex in July 2017. Which one do you think is more likely to be willing to waive my second year annual fee?

and does second year annual fee kick in when they send you the card or when you applied? I didn't one of them until a 3-4 weeks after I applied.
Neither will waive the fee. With Amex, you have a chance of getting a retention bonus is you threaten to cancel - I once got 7000 SPG points that way.
Jan 16, 2017
87 posts
20 upvotes
Just hit my 1 year anniversary date and the annual fee posted sometime during the night. Anyone know how long it takes for the free night certificate to be added to your account after your annual fee posts?
Jun 21, 2016
164 posts
43 upvotes
Hamilton
Snipingallday wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 9:50 am
Just hit my 1 year anniversary date and the annual fee posted sometime during the night. Anyone know how long it takes for the free night certificate to be added to your account after your annual fee posts?
My last experience with this was that the certificate didn’t post until after the fee due date. I did pay the AF....
Not sure what to do this year in March. I’m not willing to pay $120 for the certificate (have come to see I get more bang for my buck with SPG cards). When programs merge is it better to have an existing card or apply for the new one?
Jun 24, 2017
139 posts
76 upvotes
Ontariotraveller wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 7:23 am
My last experience with this was that the certificate didn’t post until after the fee due date. I did pay the AF....
Not sure what to do this year in March. I’m not willing to pay $120 for the certificate (have come to see I get more bang for my buck with SPG cards). When programs merge is it better to have an existing card or apply for the new one?
It will depend I think on what the "new" card is... (if there even is a "new" card, who knows if they will even carry on with a card in Canada, most of their hotel competitors don't have cards in Canada...).

I don't think Chase is continuing in Canada so the Chase Marriott card will either end completely, or maybe be converted into another bank's card if Marriott transfers their new business to a different bank. Or maybe Marriott will stick with Amex and rebrand the SPG Amex into the new program. Hard to guess now.

At that point I don't think it would be better to already have a card. At most, you will just get a new card in the mail to replace the old one and carry on as normal. But if you have no card, you could at least apply from scratch and maybe get a sign up bonus with the new card.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3781 posts
1519 upvotes
Snipingallday wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 9:50 am
After years of dealing with this (and several churns of this card) I think I see the pattern now of when they post the anniversary e-cert, and it seems to fit for 5 of 6 cases that I've directly reviewed. Unfortunately it won't matter any more, now that it appears this card is on its last legs in Canada. It's not 100% so I won't publish my thoughts on this...besides, why give the Spider Monkeys fodder to dreg back to their blogs and other public forums, and then give Chase a reason to put put a "kaibosh" on this, ruining it for others.

For your case, I once had a similar experience. Called the next day after the fee hit, cancelled the card and got a fee reversal (strangely it was 2 x $60 statement credits), and then a week later the e-cert was added to my Marriott account anyways.

FWIW, some people have just waited it out, for the e-cert to appear, and then called in (1 week to 2 months later!) to cancel the card and requested for the AF to be reversed...many people have had success with this request, a few have been denied. So, as usual, it's YMMV on the fee reversal though the trend in recent years has been positive based on the datapoints I've seen posted.

I wonder how Chase will react if they begin seeing a growing trend of fee-reversal requests, in what appears to be the card's last year of existence in Canada, with few people having confidence to pay the AF and then finding out the card will be outright removed from existence. Would Chase begin to instruct their reps/analysts to be less lenient as we come down to the wire? Only time (and more datapoints) can tell.
Oct 17, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
I had my Marriott e-certificate posted 2 weeks after the annual fee was charged. The CC anniversary date in my case is on the 28th.
Jun 21, 2016
164 posts
43 upvotes
Hamilton
cstca wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 12:57 pm
I had my Marriott e-certificate posted 2 weeks after the annual fee was charged. The CC anniversary date in my case is on the 28th.
So had you paid the annual fee before the certificate posted? Are you keeping the card?
Oct 17, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
Ontariotraveller wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 12:26 pm
So had you paid the annual fee before the certificate posted? Are you keeping the card?
Yes & yes
Oct 17, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
I see there is no reference to Scotia bank anymore on the Marriott Chase login page - it switched back to the old page. Has something changed in the relationship between Scotia and Marriott? The link to the Scotia CC was there for over one year, if I remember correctly...
Thanks.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21136 posts
2005 upvotes
cstca wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 9:05 pm
I see there is no reference to Scotia bank anymore on the Marriott Chase login page - it switched back to the old page. Has something changed in the relationship between Scotia and Marriott? The link to the Scotia CC was there for over one year, if I remember correctly...
Thanks.
It's a generic log in page. Has nothing to do with Marriott, but rather chase and Scotia.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1774 posts
1161 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't use a Rogers card for this. You pay 2.5% forex fee and get no cash back on cash advances.

I visited a brick-and-mortar currency exchange shop here in Vancouver to get $150 US before heading down for New Years. Rate was much better than any bank and I didn't want to have to put up with ATM fees or standing in line at a US bank for a cash advance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)