• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2019 8:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2004
1001 posts
17 upvotes
I got a cat 5 certificate april 26. Are we supposed to get one more certificate for them cancelling the card? If yes, when does that come?
Feb 8, 2014
997 posts
535 upvotes
YVR
impronto wrote: I got a cat 5 certificate april 26. Are we supposed to get one more certificate for them cancelling the card? If yes, when does that come?
When is you anniversary date? If it was prior to March 15 you may receive an additional certificate. However, this is the date that the rest of us received our certificate for cancelling the card.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
I almost forgot about this card and just logged into the site today because I received a letter in the mail saying this credit card is now called *Hotel Rewards Card*? I thought the account has been closed so I already cut up the card. Does anybody else receive the same letter?

I logged into Marriott Rewards website and saw that Cat 5 cert. Sweet! Expiry date is early October so we better book a quick trip somewhere soon :)
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2007
1324 posts
689 upvotes
canabiz wrote: I almost forgot about this card and just logged into the site today because I received a letter in the mail saying this credit card is now called *Hotel Rewards Card*? I thought the account has been closed so I already cut up the card. Does anybody else receive the same letter?

I logged into Marriott Rewards website and saw that Cat 5 cert. Sweet! Expiry date is early October so we better book a quick trip somewhere soon :)
I got this letter too, does it really mean a new card will be available?
Does not make sense.

Still have mine.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
KingKuba wrote: I got this letter too, does it really mean a new card will be available?
Does not make sense.

Still have mine.
I already cut up the old card so no going back now. Gave me a chance to book a trip to Vermont tho, otherwise, I completely forgot about this :)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
i'm getting emails every month saying my account cycle has ended and I should settle my balance..

My balance on account is $0 and I closed my account. is anyone else getting these emails?
Jul 1, 2015
63 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
jellytime wrote: i'm getting emails every month saying my account cycle has ended and I should settle my balance..

My balance on account is $0 and I closed my account. is anyone else getting these emails?
I'm getting these too. Same situation - no balance and account closed. It's annoying
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7374 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
jellytime wrote: i'm getting emails every month saying my account cycle has ended and I should settle my balance..

ethanpurdy wrote: I'm getting these too. Same situation - no balance and account closed. It's annoying
You need to call in and ask them to delete your online account. Then the emails stop.
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5148 posts
5848 upvotes
Montreal
Stock R wrote: I just got a refund on my card :( anyone know how they handle credit on the account since I can't spend it?
Ask them to mail you a cheque.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8520 posts
6264 upvotes
The 2 nights I am looking at only available with category 6 hotels and our certificates only cat 5. Do you think if I call and am willing to pay extra, would they allow me to book the room using the certificates? they are expiring next Mar/Apr, do you think if we call, they will extend them for another year if we haven't used them by then
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28627 upvotes
Vancouver
They have always said no to that before. But I seem to remember something about certificates being converted to points on August 1st, so if that happens you can buy top-up points then.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2004
1163 posts
791 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: The 2 nights I am looking at only available with category 6 hotels and our certificates only cat 5. Do you think if I call and am willing to pay extra, would they allow me to book the room using the certificates? they are expiring next Mar/Apr, do you think if we call, they will extend them for another year if we haven't used them by then
Kiraly wrote: They have always said no to that before. But I seem to remember something about certificates being converted to points on August 1st, so if that happens you can buy top-up points then.
Category 1-5 certificates were mentioned to be converted to cat 1-4 in the new program. There was a statement to wait until later for updates, but there appears to be nothing to conclude the rules will change. Hence, the certificates will likely not be able to be topped up.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6610 posts
1979 upvotes
Toronto
mkl38s wrote: The 2 nights I am looking at only available with category 6 hotels and our certificates only cat 5. Do you think if I call and am willing to pay extra, would they allow me to book the room using the certificates? they are expiring next Mar/Apr, do you think if we call, they will extend them for another year if we haven't used them by then
Is your hotel upgrade or downgrade after August? I have no experience if they will allow you to use it for a higher cat. hotel
But I had a cert that was expiring in Sep, but I need to stay in Oct. I called, the agent said the cert was issued by Chase Canada card, and since it's closed, they can't do anything. But someone from flyertalk suggested me a way to try. First empty out all of your point by booking a bogus reservation (you can later cancel it). then book the hotel you want at a date after the cert expires without using any point. Email marriott reward desk and ask them to apply the cert to your hotel booking (not ask if they can extend the date). it worked for me. the agent noticed the expiry date and explained that he would extend it first and apply to my booking.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8520 posts
6264 upvotes
ricedion wrote: Is your hotel upgrade or downgrade after August? I have no experience if they will allow you to use it for a higher cat. hotel
But I had a cert that was expiring in Sep, but I need to stay in Oct. I called, the agent said the cert was issued by Chase Canada card, and since it's closed, they can't do anything. But someone from flyertalk suggested me a way to try. First empty out all of your point by booking a bogus reservation (you can later cancel it). then book the hotel you want at a date after the cert expires without using any point. Email marriott reward desk and ask them to apply the cert to your hotel booking (not ask if they can extend the date). it worked for me. the agent noticed the expiry date and explained that he would extend it first and apply to my booking.
How do you find out if the hotel is upgraded/downgraded after August 1? When I tried booking for July or August, those hotels available still said cat 6 and needed 60K/night regardless of the timeline
Feb 8, 2014
997 posts
535 upvotes
YVR
mkl38s wrote: Thanks for the link. All my hotels (in Halifax) are downgraded to 4 & 5 from 6, so I assume my certificates will be good right? they are not downgrading my certificates too aren't they? I will wait till August to book my 2 nights then
I don't think anyone has the unquestionable answer at this point in time about the Chase Marriott certificates. I guess we will have to wait until August to know for sure.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28627 upvotes
Vancouver
So what happened to everybody's certificates? Did they get converted to points? I used mine up before August 1st, so I don't know what would have happened.

I never received any emails or snail mails about "Chase hotel rewards card." But I never removed Marriott Visa from my online banking list of bill payees, and it now says "Chase Hotel Rewards Card." My guess is that Chase is not licenced to continue using the "Marriott" marque, so that had to change it for customers who are still have open accounts and are paying off their balances.
Feb 8, 2014
997 posts
535 upvotes
YVR
Kiraly wrote: So what happened to everybody's certificates? Did they get converted to points? I used mine up before August 1st, so I don't know what would have happened.

I never received any emails or snail mails about "Chase hotel rewards card." But I never removed Marriott Visa from my online banking list of bill payees, and it now says "Chase Hotel Rewards Card." My guess is that Chase is not licenced to continue using the "Marriott" marque, so that had to change it for customers who are still have open accounts and are paying off their balances.
Certificate still there when logging in to my Marriott account. I plan on using mine about August 18.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)