Credit Cards

Locked: Chase Marriott Visa, 50 K points+1 free night annual, no foreign transaction fee

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 8:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4850 upvotes
Burnaby
Credit card certificates are supposed to be for account holder only. You can add the actual traveler as second guest but enforcement of the terms comes down to the hotel.

Most hotels don't care, but a few check-in agents will insist on you to check in eventually
Dec 9, 2012
146 posts
61 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I just received the card. don't understand the points system yet.

If I stayed at a Renaissance hotel...
10 pts/$
used the marriott CC, 5 pts/$
silver elite 20% bonus on base points
Earn double points on your first three eligible stays - my booking is within the rewards period.

So if I used marriott CC to pay $100 for staying one night at a Renaissance hotel, how many points do I get?
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4850 upvotes
Burnaby
You didn't specify the currency. Let's assume USD and fifteen percent taxes (no points earned at hotel for taxes, but earned in the credit card)

Base is 1000 points
Current promo gets double base so another 1000
Silver gets 20 percent of base so another 200
Paying with Marriott visa is 115 USD all inclusive for 155 CAD at 1.35 exchange rate, which is another 775 points

Total earned is 2975
Dec 9, 2012
146 posts
61 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
crimsona wrote: You didn't specify the currency. Let's assume USD and fifteen percent taxes (no points earned at hotel for taxes, but earned in the credit card)

Base is 1000 points
Current promo gets double base so another 1000
Silver gets 20 percent of base so another 200
Paying with Marriott visa is 115 USD all inclusive for 155 CAD at 1.35 exchange rate, which is another 775 points

Total earned is 2975
Thanks. Understand about the tax and points and how this works.

But even I get the Canadian credit card, it is still 10 pts/ 1 USD? The US credit card gets 80000 points rather than 50000 points for canadian!
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4850 upvotes
Burnaby
What you earn on the program side and what you earn on the credit card are two different things.

No matter where you are in the world, UK, France, US, Canada, China, you will earn 10 points per USD (converted) at the hotel.

US Marriott visa is 85 USD annual fee is not waived. It also has a minimum spend of 3k USD. And if you signed up for more than 5 credit cards in the last 24 months, you are automatically denied.

That's paying 115 annual fee and whatever you would have earned on a cashback card of 4k CAD to earn that extra 30k points.

Pointless to compare across countries, because if you're eligible for both, get both. At no point do you ever have to choose between one or another if you can get both
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes
With the "redeem 4 nights, get the 5th night free" ongoing offer, do the 5 nights have to be consecutive? (Could one "skip" 2 nights in between?)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1915 upvotes
TO
kayster wrote: Emailed them to ask if we cam book for a friend and here's what I got "Please accept my apology regrettably free night certificates earned from a promotion or earned from the credit card are non transferable. So only the person who earned it can use it" ...

Tried to call and they said the same thing :( Is it YMMV or is there any other way? Thank you!
If you are booking for a friend/relative, bookit under your name/account name and then online add secondary/additional person's name. I also called the hotel directly advising them that the secondary person (spouse/relative/friend) whoever will be checking in for me initially.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
Anyone who has stayed at the Marriott Waikoloa on the Big Island have any tips/tricks/gotchas/must sees etc.

We'll be 4 adults and going on my wife's Gold Status... anyone had successful upgrades there?

(Totally understand this is the Marriott Premier VISA thread and not the Marrriot Rewards Thread... but they're kinda related, imho ^.* )
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
Does anyone pay the annual fee for this card after the first year free?

I'm trying to see if it's worth it to keep this card. I am going to be using this as my "Business Card" as I travel to the states once a quarter and it's nice to have all business items on one card...

But, i'm also thinking of the Rogers Platinum Card as my business card as the cash back is higher and the annual fee is only $29.

I'm trying to decide which one is better for me and would like to know why some of you pay the annual fee for this card..

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
jellytime wrote: Does anyone pay the annual fee for this card after the first year free?

I'm trying to see if it's worth it to keep this card. I am going to be using this as my "Business Card" as I travel to the states once a quarter and it's nice to have all business items on one card...

But, i'm also thinking of the Rogers Platinum Card as my business card as the cash back is higher and the annual fee is only $29.

I'm trying to decide which one is better for me and would like to know why some of you pay the annual fee for this card..

Thanks
  1. Do you stay in Marriott hotel chains when you travel?
  2. Is it important to keep a long history of purchases?
  3. Can you write off the annual fee?
  4. Do you have Rogers Services?
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4850 upvotes
Burnaby
I paid the annual fee for I think two years (so held the card for three).

You have to be able to use the category 5 night well in order to justify it. Also depends who's paying for your expenses, and what kind of exchange rate they will reimburse you at
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
crimsona wrote: I paid the annual fee for I think two years (so held the card for three).

You have to be able to use the category 5 night well in order to justify it. Also depends who's paying for your expenses, and what kind of exchange rate they will reimburse you at
Yes to the category 5 night. In most cases, one night in a cat. 5 hotel in the USA, will easily justify the $120. As you're in Toronto, even a weekend trip down to Buffalo may make the annual fee worth it.
Sep 29, 2007
762 posts
247 upvotes
I'm about to reapply after 6 month hiatus....seems like might be an issue. Is 9 months safer? I have a trip upcoming in November so wouldn't want to wait much longer. My score is around 770

TorontoEh wrote: Applied 2/19 for this one (2nd time) after keeping my last one for almost a year and actually using the card monthly but this time shot down due to ' credit score', I doubt that was the real reason. I only waited 6 months because last one was cancelled August 9th '16. Perhaps I should've waited more and given more gap b/w 2nd application and they saw I had this card before.

Oh well. Atleast I got the SPG Amex :) (can one have both Personal SPG and business at the same time?)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1915 upvotes
TO
retireat50 wrote: I'm about to reapply after 6 month hiatus....seems like might be an issue. Is 9 months safer? I have a trip upcoming in November so wouldn't want to wait much longer. My score is around 770
I'd say wait it out if you can honestly, I know I should've waited 9-12 months before my 2nd go. Oh well.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5443 posts
3920 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TorontoEh wrote: I'd say wait it out if you can honestly, I know I should've waited 9-12 months before my 2nd go. Oh well.
What happened to your 2nd go?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2008
1705 posts
1792 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: I'd say wait it out if you can honestly, I know I should've waited 9-12 months before my 2nd go. Oh well.
Interesting. It sounds like Chase is a little more picky with the reapplications. I just cancelled mine, I guess I'll reapply closer to a year from now :(
Sep 29, 2007
762 posts
247 upvotes
Well so far it's just the one poster reporting this and who knows....may have been credit related. Would be nice to get some more data points
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2004
1163 posts
791 upvotes
My wife got her acceptance at a hair over 2 months in October of 2015 (this was very risky, but I had a fear of the card going away when Chase got rid of some other cards), while I got mine at 3.5 months in February of 2017. Both of us were quiet on applications when we did it for the previous 3 months.

We also held the card and paid for it in years past. For us, it was always that we spent a good amount of money at Marriott hotels - we're definitely in the minority of people getting this card. Further, we always get good use out of the Certificate, which is a big reason as to why I liked holding onto it. Getting 50K points is definitely better than the certificate, but I do like having the certs as I'm much more likely to use them than use the points at a category 5 for a night or two, since I always want to hold those points for a travel package.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
joeags wrote: My wife got her acceptance at a hair over 2 months in October of 2015 (this was very risky, but I had a fear of the card going away when Chase got rid of some other cards), while I got mine at 3.5 months in February of 2017. Both of us were quiet on applications when we did it for the previous 3 months.

We also held the card and paid for it in years past. For us, it was always that we spent a good amount of money at Marriott hotels - we're definitely in the minority of people getting this card. Further, we always get good use out of the Certificate, which is a big reason as to why I liked holding onto it. Getting 50K points is definitely better than the certificate, but I do like having the certs as I'm much more likely to use them than use the points at a category 5 for a night or two, since I always want to hold those points for a travel package.
The cert is good for one night stays near airports when you book an early flight as well. It makes, for example, flying out of Seattle or BLI early morning way more doable and comfortable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)