None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
6938 posts
1830 upvotes
Financial District B…
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 5:25 pm
The Prime program honestly looks quite useless to me. You must live relatively close to their Mississauga warehouse, Mikey. Is paying $79 a year really worth it when the actual difference in delivery speed will probably be virtually nothing? In the US the Prime program gives people a lot of advantages, but in Canada it is barebones and doesn't seem very useful.
Yes Oakville is right next to Sauga the last time I looked.
Well I've used their unlimited Prime Instant Video probably over 20 times now.(or I should say kids have) Ordered a couple computer parts and yes the shipping was 2 days free. Waiting in line for a table, kids watched the Cirque Du Soleil Worlds Away plus a host of others for free on their mobile devices.(simple flash tweak on Dolphin allows the streaming, no need for Kindle)
Eldest son has used the free 5G cloud service a few times(sure there's a host of free cloud services but its included with Prime so he might as well use it instead of setting up another somewhere else)
And I haven't even explored the free loaner books yet.
So for me, yes it was worth it. Not worth nickel and diming if one can afford it.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1758 posts
272 upvotes
Nova Scotia
HBP wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 12:34 am
Anyone know which ATMs/banks in Australia will allow me to do a cash advance without a surcharge on their end (not talking about the $5/1% from visa)
My experience in Brisbane from 02/2013-06/2013
-St. George = $0
-ANZ = $2
-Suncorp = $2
-Commonwealth Bank = $3
-NAB = $3
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21188 posts
2051 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 5:42 pm
Yes Oakville is right next to Sauga the last time I looked.
Well I've used their unlimited Prime Instant Video probably over 20 times now.(or I should say kids have) Ordered a couple computer parts and yes the shipping was 2 days free. Waiting in line for a table, kids watched the Cirque Du Soleil Worlds Away plus a host of others for free on their mobile devices.(simple flash tweak on Dolphin allows the streaming, no need for Kindle)
Eldest son has used the free 5G cloud service a few times(sure there's a host of free cloud services but its included with Prime so he might as well use it instead of setting up another somewhere else)
And I haven't even explored the free loader books yet.
So for me, yes it was worth it. Not worth nickel and diming if one can afford it.
Those benefits do not exist for Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
6938 posts
1830 upvotes
Financial District B…
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 8:07 pm
Those benefits do not exist for Canada.
Yes they do. You wanna bet?
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Jul 25, 2013
59 posts
5 upvotes
Northern BC
Hey guys!

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get this card? I've applied 2-3 times for it over the last 2 years (last time in Sept) and was declined every time. The income put down was above the minimum and I have no problems with my credit as far as late payments and such. I've been approved for cards at TD, PC Financial, AMEX etc as well (they issue my cards with $2000-2500 limits). But not for this card (which I want for US shopping).

Any advice regarding this would be great! I'm also wondering how long I should wait before applying again.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cityscape wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 10:03 pm
Hey guys!

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get this card? I've applied 2-3 times for it over the last 2 years (last time in Sept) and was declined every time. The income put down was above the minimum and I have no problems with my credit as far as late payments and such. I've been approved for cards at TD, PC Financial, AMEX etc as well (they issue my cards with $2000-2500 limits). But not for this card (which I want for US shopping).

Any advice regarding this would be great! I'm also wondering how long I should wait before applying again.
I would recommend calling them directly to apply for this card if possible, assuming each time you've been declined was from online applications. Instant approvals online seem hit or miss with very little consistency.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1573 posts
153 upvotes
Vancouver
Cityscape wrote:
Hey guys!

I was told that they have a much higher lending criteria. They said I have enough credit available to me from my credit file, thus I was declined. I have about 5 open credit cards which most I rarely use. I only want this card for forex purchases. At the end of the day, they just don't want my business.
Jul 25, 2013
59 posts
5 upvotes
Northern BC
Clayden wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 11:01 pm
I would recommend calling them directly to apply for this card if possible, assuming each time you've been declined was from online applications. Instant approvals online seem hit or miss with very little consistency.
I figured I'd give it a try online and I was approved with a $2000 limit! :) I guess it was the fact that my work situation changed since previous applications.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18901 posts
1328 upvotes
HBP wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 12:34 am
Anyone know which ATMs/banks in Australia will allow me to do a cash advance without a surcharge on their end (not talking about the $5/1% from visa)
Most HSBC ATMs worldwide (outside of USA/Canada) do not charge fees from my experience.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3926 posts
609 upvotes
Richmond
vipjn wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 12:47 am
I was told that they have a much higher lending criteria. They said I have enough credit available to me from my credit file, thus I was declined. I have about 5 open credit cards which most I rarely use. I only want this card for forex purchases. At the end of the day, they just don't want my business.
go to sears and get one from them. it's easier to get
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4257 posts
1070 upvotes
I would call them up and ask why you were turned down. Speak to a manager. I was initially turned down by their automated system Chase previously gave me a $18k limit on the Chase Marriott card and I have good credit/income. The manager reviewed and approved me right away. Limit was only $5k but I didn't bother arguing.
Cityscape wrote:
Hey guys!

May 31, 2006
157 posts
22 upvotes
I also applied the Marriott Chase VISA and Amazon VISA all the time and it was declined declined declined! I don't understand their lending critieria but why so difficult to qualify. I have been approved for RBC VISA with high limits National Bank Mastercard with high limits and also even no problem to get ScotiaBank VISA. I will don't bother appl credit card with them anymore (after MBNA) as the only benefit of those CHASE cards IS ONLY the signing bonus. Rather than NOTHING TOO EXCITED about their card. So people please don't get too upset with them as their card is not too much special.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3327 posts
2037 upvotes
Markham
michaeltse wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 2:08 pm
I also applied the Marriott Chase VISA and Amazon VISA all the time and it was declined declined declined! I don't understand their lending critieria but why so difficult to qualify. I have been approved for RBC VISA with high limits National Bank Mastercard with high limits and also even no problem to get ScotiaBank VISA. I will don't bother appl credit card with them anymore (after MBNA) as the only benefit of those CHASE cards IS ONLY the signing bonus. Rather than NOTHING TOO EXCITED about their card. So people please don't get too upset with them as their card is not too much special.
Well, the Amazon Visa is currently the only card offered in Canada with No FX fees and a very reasonable, non-tiered 1% cash back all with no annual fee. So I disagree with you on categorizing this card as nothing too special.

I'm not sure why so many have issues getting this card, either it's open credit vs. income, past history or current earning that is disqualifying some. It all depends on the credit/income ratio with a pinch of other factors thrown in at the end of the day.
May 31, 2006
157 posts
22 upvotes
I have good credit and good income. Their reason is too much open credit with you. Forget it then, the other cards that I am holding is worth more than this card
Aug 3, 2006
723 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
michaeltse wrote:
Jan 9th, 2014 2:08 pm
What's special is that Forex 2.5% + 1% cash back = 3.5% return on US purchases. This could be negated by the "sign up bonuses" other cards offer so the benefit is dependent upon each person's individual spending.