None
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4348 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:25 am
They're probably preparing the replacement card - similar to how Sears Mastercard holders were given a new Scotia branded card.
Which will have the 2.5% FX Fee (if not immediately, then within 6 months guaranteed) ...therefore negating any benefit to their card offerings.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'11 Rome 390 Boss Black
'08 K2 T1
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1531 posts
433 upvotes
Victoria
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:27 pm
Which will have the 2.5% FX Fee (if not immediately, then within 6 months guaranteed) ...therefore negating any benefit to their card offerings.
Yeah the Chase Visa was really important in that there was no forex fee. I have a hard time believing Rogers/Fido would keep that perk if nobody else was. Thankfully Home Trust Visa still has it too.
Jan 29, 2013
25 posts
1 upvote
Oh man. This is heartbreaking, but the writing was on the wall. Do you think we’ll be converted, or just straight cancelled? At this point, I’m more concerned about my credit hit, as this is an older card.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1995 posts
532 upvotes
Vancouver
AJchang wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:34 am
Oh man. This is heartbreaking, but the writing was on the wall. Do you think we’ll be converted, or just straight cancelled? At this point, I’m more concerned about my credit hit, as this is an older card.
All amazon visa accounts will be canceled on that day.
This is my oldest card and I got it when I was still a student. It’s more than just a piece of plastic for me. Heartbreaking too.
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1531 posts
433 upvotes
Victoria
Your link doesn’t say Chase is shutting down the accounts in March, it just says they’ll no longer be partnered with Amazon. I think them closing the accounts completely is still likely but I guess it hasn’t been actually confirmed yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3737 posts
695 upvotes
Alberta
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:25 am
They're probably preparing the replacement card - similar to how Sears Mastercard holders were given a new Scotia branded card.
The Scotia replacement card was useless. I think most people cancelled it like I did.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6350 posts
2174 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:09 pm
The Scotia replacement card was useless. I think most people cancelled it like I did.
Oh I don't disagree.

But in a world where companies throw $50-$200 signup bonuses for credit cards signups AND pay massive commissions to bloggers/referrals for each successful application, I'm sure there are banks that will pay some amount to acquire the business/relationship with these consumers, similar to how Scotia did with the Sears card. Even if the replacement card is crap.
Last edited by SoroSuub1 on Jan 11th, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Internet Movie Car Database (Contributions) - http://imcdb.org/movies.php?contrib=Soro
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3669 posts
1393 upvotes
MaxPower19 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:02 pm
Your link doesn’t say Chase is shutting down the accounts in March, it just says they’ll no longer be partnered with Amazon. I think them closing the accounts completely is still likely but I guess it hasn’t been actually confirmed yet.
The true source on RFD was from here, and was actually from @buddshek.

The wording that was leaked out said: "Chase will be closing the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program as of March 15, 2018". So, you mean that this does NOT mean they are going to close our accounts? Nice. Bring on the crappy card replacement! :D

Edit: I'm confused. Are they going to close the cards, or not? @ProfessorChaos says he got a call from Chase and they said they were exiting the card business with no plans for new cards. His post is here: chase-visa-amazon-grandfathered-april-2 ... #p28781633
Last edited by bizee-bee on Jan 11th, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3737 posts
695 upvotes
Alberta
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:16 pm
Oh I don't disagree.

But in a world where companies throw $50-$200 signup bonuses for credit cards signups AND pay massive commissions to bloggers/referrals for each successful application, I'm sure there are banks that will pay some amount to acquire the business/relationship with these consumers, similar to how Scotia did with the Sears card. Even if the replacement card is crap.
Scotia bought all the Sears Financial accounts only to lose the majority of the account holders as soon as they got rid of the no forex fee. If they would have grandfathered it, nobody would have left. They must have lost a ton of money, someone must have known that everyone would jump ship. Same thing will happen if someone buys the Amazon accounts.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1531 posts
433 upvotes
Victoria
I’d bet money they’ll just shut the cards off and not switch them to something else, but we still don’t have confirmation.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6918 posts
2303 upvotes
Markham
mech9t5 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 6:01 pm
Yes. But they don't really have any incentive to do that. I'm just going to buy something slightly more than what I have to guarantee I don't get screwed.
I'm actually debating whether to continue to use this card. I just got $20 from them but among the purchases that pushed it to the limit was refunded, so I'm actually in negative rewards balance. I don't expect myself spending a grand with Amazon the next 2 months to get another $20, lol.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Dec 13, 2010
800 posts
213 upvotes
ON
I really depended on this card even though I used it so little % wise.
But I make regular USD purchases so I will need to replace it.

I know Fido/Rogers is better, but it's hard for me to trust them. They mess up on their service billing so much.. trust them with a CC? Nah.

I think I'll sign up for that home trust visa. Although I HATE VBV.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1995 posts
532 upvotes
Vancouver
thetipster wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:07 am
I really depended on this card even though I used it so little % wise.
But I make regular USD purchases so I will need to replace it.

I know Fido/Rogers is better, but it's hard for me to trust them. They mess up on their service billing so much.. trust them with a CC? Nah.

I think I'll sign up for that home trust visa. Although I HATE VBV.
Rogers Wireless and Rogers Bank are different. I have owned Rogers MC from the very beginning and never had a single problem. Plus the reps were very friendly and helpful.
The cash back difference outside the country between HT Visa and Rogers/Fido MC is around 0.6% (0.5% difference, plus MC's conversion rate is always better than Visa at around 0.1%).

If you mainly shop at USA Costco, HT Visa is better. If not, Rogers/Fido MC is better, and HT Visa can be your backup card.
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄

Thread Information

There are currently 9 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 3 guests)

ustorontoeurope, forexnut, cardero, Repooc, guillaume019, bylo