• Jan 17th, 2018 8:02 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1616 posts
161 upvotes
Vancouver
I wonder if Amazon will bring out a new card eventually. I would think they would want to have their own branded card they could market to all their prime members.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1531 posts
433 upvotes
Victoria
It’s certainly debatable but I prefer the Home Trust Visa to the Rogers product just for ease of cash back and product returns getting refunded properly.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1601 posts
425 upvotes
TO
Out of curiosity, assuming the cards are all closed on March 15th, what happens if I buy something on the 14th and return it on say April 13th? Where will the refund go, especially if that was my only purchase for that statement and I had already paid my full balance?

Chase screwed up once when I had more returns than I charged to the card for one billing cycle. It said I was late on my payments because I hadn't made any cash payment to the card, but I wasn't actually late because the returns covered my full balance and then some. They sent me a letter afterwards about the error asking for the minimum payment to be made anyway. So I wonder if I can confuse their systems again or not :D
Wins
2015: 69.99$
Apr 7, 2013
237 posts
75 upvotes
Deux-Montagnes, QC
TheWalrus wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:33 am
Out of curiosity, assuming the cards are all closed on March 15th, what happens if I buy something on the 14th and return it on say April 13th? Where will the refund go, especially if that was my only purchase for that statement and I had already paid my full balance?

Chase screwed up once when I had more returns than I charged to the card for one billing cycle. It said I was late on my payments because I hadn't made any cash payment to the card, but I wasn't actually late because the returns covered my full balance and then some. They sent me a letter afterwards about the error asking for the minimum payment to be made anyway. So I wonder if I can confuse their systems again or not :D
Merchant should accept doing refund on any other Visa you got. Don't have to be the same card.
You can't refund on a cancelled card.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1435 posts
264 upvotes
St. John's
I applied for the HomeTrust Visa. The Rogers one is okay for purchases but if I have to get a refund, there's no 4% cashback, plus a 2.5% fee on each side of the transaction, meaning I would be out 5%. I rarely get foreign currency refunds, but they can really sting on an fx-fee card. That's what prompted me to get the Amazon Visa initially, I booked a refundable hotel that had to be prepaid, when I had to cancel, because of the 2.5% on the purchase and refund I was out about $50 which really sucked. I'm hoping I get approved - fingers crossed. I'll miss the Amazon Visa, that much I know!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
2840 posts
770 upvotes
Chew300ZX wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:27 am
I applied for the HomeTrust Visa. The Rogers one is okay for purchases but if I have to get a refund, there's no 4% cashback, plus a 2.5% fee on each side of the transaction, meaning I would be out 5%. I rarely get foreign currency refunds, but they can really sting on an fx-fee card. That's what prompted me to get the Amazon Visa initially, I booked a refundable hotel that had to be prepaid, when I had to cancel, because of the 2.5% on the purchase and refund I was out about $50 which really sucked. I'm hoping I get approved - fingers crossed. I'll miss the Amazon Visa, that much I know!
I booked a refundable hotel in USD once and then cancelled. Ended up making money on the transaction. Made about $20.
It would not have been possible with a Rogers/Fido card due to the Forex Fee both ways.
Mar 3, 2005
647 posts
294 upvotes
Mississauga
More details at:

https://www.chase.com/online/canada/amazon-ca-home.htm

Copy of letter visible at: https://www.chase.com/online/canada/doc ... da-eng.pdf

Important change to the Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card program

➢ As of March 15, 2018, Chase will be closing all Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card accounts. Please update your credit card information for your Amazon.ca account and for any pre-authorized payments before this date.

➢ You will continue to receive your monthly statements until any outstanding balance is paid.
➢ The terms and conditions set out in the Cardmember Agreement for your account will still apply, and the annual interest rate on unpaid balances will not change once the account is closed.
➢ These changes will not impact accounts that have already been closed.
➢ You may have received a letter to notify you of this change.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why are accounts closing?

We are closing accounts as the credit card relationship between JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in Canada and Amazon.ca is ending.
How should I pay my outstanding balance after March 15, 2018?

You can continue to make your payments using the following methods:
At your financial institution depending on the services available, you can pay by:

Online banking
Telephone banking
Teller or ATM

By mail to P.O. Box 4289, Stn A, Toronto, Ontario, M5W 5X3

Please make your cheque out to Amazon.ca Rewards Visa. Please do not send cash.
We need to receive your payment by the Payment Due Date indicated on your statement. All forms of payment require processing time, so please ensure you make your payments promptly as all due dates still apply.
What will happen to my Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card cash back?

As your account will be closed as of March 15, 2018, you will no longer earn cash back on your Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card account after March 14, 2018. If you had unredeemed cash back points on your account prior to closure, we will apply a statement credit to your account for the cash back amount.
Will I need to update my payment methods on Amazon.ca?

You may need to update your payment methods on Amazon.ca. Visit amazon.ca/visa to learn more.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3669 posts
1393 upvotes
"You will receive a credit for the balance of your points value calculated on purchases made before
March 15, 2018 at a conversion of $1 = 100 points. If you have between 1 and 100 points, then you
will receive a credit for $1. "

So, no need to rush out to spend and try to get to the next 2000 pts = $20 redemption tier. Just to hit the next 100 incremental plateau for that RFD-$1. Phew.
Jan 16, 2007
213 posts
81 upvotes
Let us all take a moment of silence for the death of the Amazon card. We knew it was happening but now it is truly official.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1995 posts
532 upvotes
Vancouver
Heartbreaking...Loudly Crying Face
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3669 posts
1393 upvotes
joshnet wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:54 pm
Let us all take a moment of silence for the death of the Amazon card. We knew it was happening but now it is truly official.
@crimsona gets the props for his Chase cards predictions. He foresaw this happening last year.

But, there was this one guy that leaked out the info in the Fall, and said this was coming "early next year", as if he had insider info. Can't find that post now, but it was either here, or in the Chase Marriott thread. Thanks to that poster, whoever you are!! Big reason why I chose to cancel rather than renew my Chase Marriott Visa (still got the anniversary Cat-5 e-cert).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8807 posts
981 upvotes
Vancouver
So no transition, no replacement, just death. :(
General Radek had some good ideas.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
11105 posts
3749 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bizee-bee wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:53 pm
"You will receive a credit for the balance of your points value calculated on purchases made before
March 15, 2018 at a conversion of $1 = 100 points. If you have between 1 and 100 points, then you
will receive a credit for $1. "

So, no need to rush out to spend and try to get to the next 2000 pts = $20 redemption tier. Just to hit the next 100 incremental plateau for that RFD-$1. Phew.
That still doesn't address what happens to the credit after 15Mar18. Suppose my current balance is $0 and I have 1,000 pts ($10) accrued. If I make no further transactions on the card then it will have a cash balance of $10 on 16Mar18. Will they send me a cheque for that amount or will that $10 just disappear?

I suppose one way to mitigate this is to make a $10+ purchase in early March. Then they'll deduct the $10 reward from the amount owing on the card. For example if I buy something for $15, they'll credit me with $10.15 (based on 1,015 pts) and I'll only need to pay a final $4.85 to clear the account.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1995 posts
532 upvotes
Vancouver
I’m shocked to see Amazon is not going to partner with another Canadian bank to launch a brand new Amazon credit card.
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄

Thread Information

There are currently 9 users viewing this thread. (7 members and 2 guests)

ustorontoeurope, forexnut, cardero, Repooc, guillaume019, EdisonL299, bylo