Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3247 posts
507 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:33 pm
I’m shocked to see Amazon is not going to partner with another Canadian bank to launch a brand new Amazon credit card.
They might at some point, they might not. Chase owns the credit card accounts regardless, so Amazon can't shop them around to another bank.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
3373 posts
1112 upvotes
my card expires 2/2018
I wonder if I will get a new card for march 1 - 14???

i need to make a purchase in Mar so I can get my statement credit.

otherwise will they mail me a chq?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4261 posts
881 upvotes
Alberta
EdisonL299 wrote:
I’m shocked to see Amazon is not going to partner with another Canadian bank to launch a brand new Amazon credit card.
Even if they did partner with a Canadian bank, you wouldn't get the no forex fee benefit. No Canadian bank (the big 5) offers it. They'll probably give you 1% cash back.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8879 posts
997 upvotes
Vancouver
mech9t5 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:36 pm
my card expires 2/2018

I would assume so. I just got a card that expires 1/2022.
General Radek had some good ideas.
Aug 12, 2016
303 posts
173 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:36 pm
my card expires 2/2018

Mine expires February too and they just sent me a new card today so you should have it today or very soon.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
7286 posts
2523 upvotes
Markham
xiaobao wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:04 am
I wonder if Amazon will bring out a new card eventually. I would think they would want to have their own branded card they could market to all their prime members.
EdisonL299 wrote:
Probably Amazon doesn't need or want it anymore. They probably only wanted this card initially with the no FX fee just to promote people to use Amazon.com while they build out Amazon.ca. Now that Amazon.ca is mature, they'll just resort to selling other banks' cards for commission, i.e. the Scotiabank cards on the site.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7155 posts
822 upvotes
Burnaby
bizee-bee wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:09 pm
@crimsona gets the props for his Chase cards predictions. He foresaw this happening last year.

But, there was this one guy that leaked out the info in the Fall, and said this was coming "early next year", as if he had insider info. Can't find that post now, but it was either here, or in the Chase Marriott thread. Thanks to that poster, whoever you are!! Big reason why I chose to cancel rather than renew my Chase Marriott Visa (still got the anniversary Cat-5 e-cert).
Marriott visa definitely on last legs. If lucky, I'll squeeze another anniversary free night if it lasts long enough.

Never got the Amazon myself, figured if I valued Marriott points at half a cent per point, it would take 25k in spend just to match the signup bonus of the Marriott. And that didn't even include the value of the old category 4 night as signup

Went from traveling little to my wife getting platinum status strategically using rollover nights. End of an era!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6479 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ToniCipriani wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:09 pm
Probably Amazon doesn't need or want it anymore. They probably only wanted this card initially with the no FX fee just to promote people to use Amazon.com while they build out Amazon.ca. Now that Amazon.ca is mature, they'll just resort to selling other banks' cards for commission, i.e. the Scotiabank cards on the site.
Didn't chase offer other credit cards with no FX fee? If so, it might just be something that was done on the Amazon card because Chase did it on other cards...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
7286 posts
2523 upvotes
Markham
VivienM wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:19 pm
Didn't chase offer other credit cards with no FX fee? If so, it might just be something that was done on the Amazon card because Chase did it on other cards...
It could be a feature offered by Chase, but partners probably still has a say on what features they want bundled in the product. I don't know, just my hypothesis.

It's just like how PCF's World Elite lacks the travel lounge passes that other World Elite cards offer.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Dec 14, 2010
204 posts
159 upvotes
Thanks for the heads up! I'll start shopping for a replacement card right away. But then, those other companies will probably follow Amazon and discontinue their card or the free forex...
Aug 12, 2016
303 posts
173 upvotes
Ogata wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:44 pm
https://www.amazon.ca/b/ref=CAECMREE?&i ... 7495798011

What else gives no annual fee and no foreign conversion fee? This was my go to card for international purchases
Replacement card are the Rogers/Fido MasterCard. It's kinda a round about way because they charge you the FX fee but then get 4% back in cash back on foreign purchases, downfall is cash advances aren't the best idea with this card in foreign currencies as there is cheaper ways to get foreign currencies. Another option is the home trust preferred visa, no FX fee, 1% cash back, but the cash advance fee is 1.5% vs the 1% amazon visa has.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
Okay everyone, this sucks. Who has a better website/IT and call center? Rogers or Home Trust? I've always been a VISA guy -- has the gap between VISA and MC closed overseas?

BTW, I have a USD$ income, any no-fee USD$ cards I should be considering as well?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1687 posts
565 upvotes
Victoria
jaswest2754 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:39 pm
Replacement card are the Rogers/Fido MasterCard. It's kinda a round about way because they charge you the FX fee but then get 4% back in cash back on foreign purchases, downfall is cash advances aren't the best idea with this card in foreign currencies as there is cheaper ways to get foreign currencies. Another option is the home trust preferred visa, no FX fee, 1% cash back, but the cash advance fee is 1.5% vs the 1% amazon visa has.
Home Trust Visa is my preference of the two you mentioned. Better if you have to return something and easier to deal with the cash back rewards.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)