None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8968 posts
1038 upvotes
Vancouver
qsub wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 8:13 pm
Hmm.. any idea if it will be able to be used on the .com website aswell?

I do a lot of purchasing off amazon.com
You can use it but you only get 1% on .com purchases (vs 2% for .ca).
General Radek had some good ideas.
Aug 3, 2006
874 posts
122 upvotes
I probably should of quoted, but I was referring to the prime shipping.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2067 posts
653 upvotes
Edmonton
Odd I/O wrote:
Jan 5th, 2013 7:47 pm
Is this just a basic no frills rewards card or does it provide extended warranty, price protection, car rental insurance etc...?
No, there is no extended warranty, price protection, etc. I was using it for a while at Amazon but got to thinking that if I buy some appliance or electronic item, I'm losing an additional year of warranty and the way Amazon juggles prices, I'm also hooped if something I buy drops drastically. So, I'll use the Amazon card only for foreign transactions and if I buy books or CDs at Amazon.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21201 posts
2058 upvotes
Has anyone been able to establish a Verified by Visa PIN with this card? The Visa website does not have a link for Chase.
Aug 26, 2008
462 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
How good are the exchange rates on this card without transaction fee? Plus 1% cashback?

Better than xe.com?

(For those in the Vancouver area) Better than VBCE (Vancouver Bullion & Currency Exchange)?
Jul 20, 2006
163 posts
11 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 2:16 pm
Has anyone been able to establish a Verified by Visa PIN with this card? The Visa website does not have a link for Chase.
I guess this card is not enrolled in the program. If an online merchant enforces you to go through this route for using a Visa credit card, then you can't use this card. I called Chase twice, neither of the guys I talked with have a clue. They just keep repeating "Visa is accepted almost everywhere".
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21201 posts
2058 upvotes
mmadness wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 6:59 am
How good are the exchange rates on this card without transaction fee? Plus 1% cashback?

Better than xe.com?

(For those in the Vancouver area) Better than VBCE (Vancouver Bullion & Currency Exchange)?
Look into past posts. The rates are around XE, usually slightly above.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21201 posts
2058 upvotes
zxczxc wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 9:31 am
I guess this card is not enrolled in the program. If an online merchant enforces you to go through this route for using a Visa credit card, then you can't use this card. I called Chase twice, neither of the guys I talked with have a clue. They just keep repeating "Visa is accepted almost everywhere".
I called Visa directly and was told the same thing. All Chase Canada issued cards are not eligible for the program, weird. Chase was useless.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8968 posts
1038 upvotes
Vancouver
mmadness wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 6:59 am

Better than xe.com?

better than both
General Radek had some good ideas.
Aug 26, 2008
462 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
1226 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 11:46 am
better than both
Hmm, in that case then I will it use it for everything US. In the process of getting a Bank of America Cash Back VISA ($100 cashback in the first 90 days for $500 spend). Then go with that card just for gas stations and groceries (3.3% cashback on gas, 2.2% groceries, 1.1% on other). Using Amex Global Transfer to get an Amex Blue Cash Everyday card (3% back at supermarkets, 2% on gas/some department stores, 1% other).
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1767 posts
279 upvotes
Nova Scotia
crimsona wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 2:25 pm
I did it with the Chase Marriott Visa in Japan - but I played it safe and overpaid the cash advance and any purchases I made to my account (so ended my billing cycle with a below zero balance). Not sure what would happen if I prepay the cash advance ahead of time and have a negative balance after taking out the money, but end the billing cycle with a balance owing. Maybe worth trying?

Minimum charge is $5 or 1%, whichever is higher. Anything under $500, you pay $5. I took out 30k Yen, as they only had 10k yen bills at the airport ATM, and I was only there for 4 nights.
So you made a cash advance and then just overpaid what was owed at the end of the month? I've never made a cash advance ever but always thought you were instantly charged ~20%, even if you repaid it the same day (maybe that is wrong?). Hopefully qsub can confirm his experience soon.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17994 posts
2665 upvotes
GTA West
jmatheson64 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 7:58 pm
So you made a cash advance and then just overpaid what was owed at the end of the month? I've never made a cash advance ever but always thought you were instantly charged ~20%, even if you repaid it the same day (maybe that is wrong?). Hopefully qsub can confirm his experience soon.
Nope, if you overpaid the account and then took out a cash advance, you will NOT pay interest because you are not really borrowing money. This assumes the CA was less than the overpayment.
You will still incur a CA fee ($5 or whatever).

On the other hand, if you did not overpay, you will pay the interest rate. Let's say your CA interest rate is 19.99%. This is a YEARLY rate. This means that a $500 cash advance will be charged at about $0.27 per day.

Be careful, if you overpaid and were then a victim of fraud, you might not get reimbursed!
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7207 posts
854 upvotes
Burnaby
jmatheson64 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 7:58 pm
Paid first and then took out the cash advance after, had a zero balance when the statement posted at the end of my billing cycle
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1842 posts
142 upvotes
Sidney
I have accumulated some reward points with this Amazon card....how do I redeem them? I am in the checkout at amazon.ca and I don't see anywhere to redeem points for merchandise.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3404 posts
290 upvotes
favelle75 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 1:43 am
I have accumulated some reward points with this Amazon card....how do I redeem them? I am in the checkout at amazon.ca and I don't see anywhere to redeem points for merchandise.
You don't redeem points with amazon.ca

Every 2000 points earned are automatically redeemed for a $20 statement credit.