Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21185 posts
2048 upvotes
1226 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 12:54 pm
Not that I've ever seen in practice. I've always had a constantly changing rate, no matter when I make my purchases (which are almost exclusively on weekends). See my post above yours.
At least my EURO-CAD payments were. Opened some USD-CAD and there is some small fluctuations.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21185 posts
2048 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 4:03 pm
At least my EURO-CAD payments were. Opened some USD-CAD and there is some small fluctuations.
Looks like Ill have to retract that. My transactions all updated today with a new rate that was slightly different. The final charge posted was constant, but the rates very.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2672 posts
640 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:15 am
Looks like Ill have to retract that. My transactions all updated today with a new rate that was slightly different. The final charge posted was constant, but the rates very.
Take a look at the one week chart of EUR - CAD from XE.com. Seems nothing much happens from midnight Friday until the Asian trading begins Sunday evening.
Oct 21, 2005
563 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, I just applied for this card online, but they want me to call them to complete the application. Is it normal?

What more questions they need to ask? I got those Sears, Bay, Futureshop cards etc on the spot after giving them the info I've given online.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2672 posts
640 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
chiefsurfer wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:51 am
Ok, I just applied for this card online, but they want me to call them to complete the application. Is it normal?
If memory serves me, somewhere in this thread it was stated that for those not instantly approved the issue was merely confirmation of identity. If that checked out then they got approved there and then. Let us know.
Oct 21, 2005
563 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
Marzipan wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 11:03 am
If memory serves me, somewhere in this thread it was stated that for those not instantly approved the issue was merely confirmation of identity. If that checked out then they got approved there and then. Let us know.
Thanks for your help! I searched online and made sure the phone number does indeed belong to Chase. I called them and yes, they wanted to verify my identity with three multiple choice questions. The city and street address of where I lived 22 years ago, and my bank's branch address. Now, all's well. Thanks again.
Nov 19, 2006
299 posts
13 upvotes
i went through pages and couldnt find this answer.

Lets say my credit limit is $1000 and hold a balance of 0. I deposit $500 to get some USD without interest. So if i go to the states and find random atm machine and pull out $500CAD worth of USD I will only get charged $5 (1% i believe?). But how about the fees from the ATM machine?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21185 posts
2048 upvotes
clvnng wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 2:45 pm

Lets say my credit limit is $1000 and hold a balance of 0. I deposit $500 to get some USD without interest. So if i go to the states and find random atm machine and pull out $500CAD worth of USD I will only get charged $5 (1% i believe?). But how about the fees from the ATM machine?
Assuming 1 CAD = 1 USD, that is correct. ATM fees are additional.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8934 posts
1018 upvotes
Vancouver
clvnng wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't do that very often but don't those random ATM's usually tell you what the fee is going to be before you go through with it? (most often $3?) And then they charge $503 to your card and spit out $500 (assuming 1 CAD = 1 USD).
General Radek had some good ideas.
Nov 12, 2012
268 posts
78 upvotes
Port Moody
1226 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 5:12 pm
I don't do that very often but don't those random ATM's usually tell you what the fee is going to be before you go through with it? (most often $3?) And then they charge $503 to your card and spit out $500 (assuming 1 CAD = 1 USD).
I think this is the fee that the US bank/machine charges, but then I think there is another fee on top of that (international ATM fee/interac charge, or something like that). I can't quite remember, because I NEVER do it, but I do recall there being two sets of fees - one from the US bank and one from the CAD bank.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8934 posts
1018 upvotes
Vancouver
pokee99 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 6:38 pm
I think this is the fee that the US bank/machine charges, but then I think there is another fee on top of that (international ATM fee/interac charge, or something like that). I can't quite remember, because I NEVER do it, but I do recall there being two sets of fees - one from the US bank and one from the CAD bank.
True, except in this case there is no "CAD bank"? I think somebody posted earlier in this thread they only got charged the 1% and no ATM fee from Chase.

EDIT: This is the post I was thinking of: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-n ... st15510311
General Radek had some good ideas.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1047 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga
1226 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 12:59 pm
Yeah does look to be rounding. So I guess the conclusion is 30 bp spread?
Just made an online purchase of $300 and authorization shows $300.03 canadian. Go figure!
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2672 posts
640 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Dealll wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 11:23 pm
Just made an online purchase of $300 and authorization shows $300.03 canadian. Go figure!
But you have to reveal the date the item was posted in order for us to figure.
Oct 16, 2007
86 posts
12 upvotes
Many people have commented on how useful this card is for withdrawing foreign currency abroad. In come countries, like Italy, the ATM limits for single withdrawal are often limited to 200-250 Euro, requiring to pay the $5 fee each time. Has anyone tried to get a bigger cash advance on a single transaction via a teller in a foreign bank? Would it be too much hassle?
May 12, 2008
427 posts
14 upvotes
starchoice wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 9:20 pm
No, there is no extended warranty, price protection, etc. I was using it for a while at Amazon but got to thinking that if I buy some appliance or electronic item, I'm losing an additional year of warranty and the way Amazon juggles prices, I'm also hooped if something I buy drops drastically. So, I'll use the Amazon card only for foreign transactions and if I buy books or CDs at Amazon.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'm planing on using it only on foreign transactions and any other transactions where it's not advantageous to have a extended warranty.

Does anyone know the statement period of this card? I received and activated it on January 1st this year and made my first purchase several days later. However, I haven't received a statement yet whereas my other two credit cards have already sent me theirs. I don't want to miss my first payment.