Credit Cards

Chase Canada - All cards will be closed on March 15, 2018 | All debts wiped clear (Aug 8, 2019)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2019 10:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
pmcd wrote: Are mortgages reported to Equifax or Transunion? What about utilities, such as Hydro? All I see are credit cards, lines of credit, wireless/internet, loans ( eg automobile).
Some mortgages are reported.
Safe to say all big lenders will report mortgages, maybe not for the smaller lenders.
Utilities like hydro and gas are not reported..
Cell phone companies I know for fact are reported are Rogers, Fido, Telus, Koodo, Bell and Virgin.
It’s also important to know that not all scoring algorithms factor mortgage and/or telco data.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
twitchyzero wrote: huh all of my credit card calls have been routed to Canadian or North American call centers, never abroad (MBNA =TD, Chase Canada = Scotiabank, etc.)
MBNA is 100% Indian, same as AMEX.
I'm pretty sure it sometimes depend on the call type and hours that different places may take accordingly.
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
MilkyWind wrote: hmm I just saw an ad on amazon -- you get $75 from amazon if you open a scotiabank visa. Is this a new amazon visa? does it have a forex fee?

https://www.amazon.ca/b/ref=huc_vc_camp ... 3230544011
Those cards are all Scotia's and available for everyone. not a replacement for Chase Amazon.ca sadly.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
dekvitaly wrote: MBNA is 100% Indian, same as AMEX.
I'm pretty sure it sometimes depend on the call type and hours that different places may take accordingly.
every time I call MBNA I ask where their call centre is based in and it's in Ottawa
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
twitchyzero wrote: every time I call MBNA I ask where their call centre is based in and it's in Ottawa
1600 James Naismith Dr - the building across from Blair Station with a TD logo on it.
Dec 13, 2009
102 posts
86 upvotes
I can't log into my account since a couple days ago.
My card also stopped working.
Anyone experiencing the same thing?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
hdlineage wrote: I can't log into my account since a couple days ago.
My card also stopped working.
Anyone experiencing the same thing?
Call them. I had something similar happen a while back and a fraud alert was triggered on my card.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
coolintheshade wrote: Some mortgages are reported.
Safe to say all big lenders will report mortgages, maybe not for the smaller lenders.
Utilities like hydro and gas are not reported..
Cell phone companies I know for fact are reported are Rogers, Fido, Telus, Koodo, Bell and Virgin.
It’s also important to know that not all scoring algorithms factor mortgage and/or telco data.
Interesting. My mortgage, with TD, was never reported. Paid off now so it’s too late except for a line of credit I guess.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
pmcd wrote: Interesting. My mortgage, with TD, was never reported. Paid off now so it’s too late except for a line of credit I guess.
Mortgages just started reporting within the past 5-8 years or so.
Mar 7, 2012
542 posts
387 upvotes
I'm sure this has been asked in the last 318 pages, but it's a lot to go through. So sorry for the possible repeat.

I'm wondering if any credit savvy people out there know if it looks better to cancel the card myself, or let them cancel it? I'm sure it will have a note attached saying "non- derogatory" or something along those lines. But I'm still not sure what is better, or if it matters at all?
Feb 6, 2018
271 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto-ish
SantaCruz wrote: But I'm still not sure what is better, or if it matters at all?
As far as I know, it doesn't matter at all. In either case, your total available credit will go down (which may affect your utilization), and your report will state that there was a non-derogatory closure. If we're nitpicking, letting the account close on its own would be marginally better for your average age of accounts. Because of this, and the fact that I don't want to take time out of my day to talk to Chase, I think letting the account die on its own would be better.
Mar 7, 2012
542 posts
387 upvotes
Yeah I already applied for, and got the Roger's card this month. Oddly enough, my credit limit was exactly the same. So my utilization will remain the same. However, I'll loose the average age. Nothing can be done there. Seems kind of unfair in a way that something completely out of our hands will impact our credit. Not that I'm applying for any type of loan anytime soon, but still.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
Is this card going to show up as closed on credit bureaus as of March 15th?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
andrew4321 wrote: Is this card going to show up as closed on credit bureaus as of March 15th?
not necessary, credit bureau like TransU and Equifax only know these information when Chase/Scotiabank reports to them.
This is a standard procedure for every account.
Aug 21, 2016
465 posts
164 upvotes
Whats the consensus on which FOREX card to get to replace the Chase Amazon?
Home trust, Brim or Rogers/Fido? I don't have any Rogers services.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5707 posts
2276 upvotes
fern54 wrote: Whats the consensus on which FOREX card to get to replace the Chase Amazon?
Home trust, Brim or Rogers/Fido? I don't have any Rogers services.
Depends on your situation, for the free cards

Home Trust: 1% cashback. Visa, Roadside assistance (5KM tow and gas/boost/lockout service), Purchase security (90 days), Car rental CDW, redemption once per year as a statement credit.
Brim: 1% cashback, Mastercard, not released yet, free global Wi-Fi with Boingo, Mobile device insurance $500, common carrier insurance, extended warranty 1 year, event ticket insurance, and ability to redeem whenever.
Rogers/Fido: 1.75% Cashback or 1.5% with Fido CAD purchases, 4% foreign currency transactions (1.5% net cashback), Not much else in terms of the warranty. A big issue is returns, you will lose the 2.5% FX fee if you return a foreign purchase, once a year in cash back if you request it as a statement credit, or redeem towards Rogers/Fido services
Journie: Use my promo code JR-ColinTOUM during registration, and you’ll automatically save 2¢/ L on your next fill-up. (Full disclosure: Once you do, I get a discount, too!)
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
ProfessorChaos wrote: Depends on your situation, for the free cards

Home Trust: 1% cashback. Visa, Roadside assistance (5KM tow and gas/boost/lockout service), Purchase security (90 days), Car rental CDW, redemption once per year as a statement credit.
Brim: 1% cashback, Mastercard, not released yet, free global Wi-Fi with Boingo, Mobile device insurance $500, common carrier insurance, extended warranty 1 year, event ticket insurance, and ability to redeem whenever.
Rogers/Fido: 1.75% Cashback or 1.5% with Fido CAD purchases, 4% foreign currency transactions (1.5% net cashback), Not much else in terms of the warranty. A big issue is returns, you will lose the 2.5% FX fee if you return a foreign purchase, once a year in cash back if you request it as a statement credit, or redeem towards Rogers/Fido services
Considering I purely care about offsetting the forex charge (and don't care about points or benefits), Rogers/Fido seems to be the best option as Rogers/Fido gives 4% cashback - 2.5% forex = 1.5% gain, correct? I already have a 2% card for CAD transactions, so this will be exclusively for foreign transactions, like Amazon Chase was.

Also, will Rogers/Fido be the same in terms of being able to pre-pay in advance and then use the cash advance option at an ATM in a foreign country? Amazon was only 1% fee, what's Rogers/Fido?

Didn't do any research, but in your reply regarding Home Trust/Brim, are those 0% forex inherently?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1912 posts
1314 upvotes
Mississauga
As your account will be closed as of March 15, 2018, you will no longer earn cash back on your Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card account after March 14, 2018. If you had unredeemed cash back points on your account prior to closure, we will apply a statement credit to your account for the cash back amount.
Any idea when unredeemed statement credit will be applied?
Wondering if the credit will make it before my payment due date (20th of each month).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
andrew4321 wrote: Is this card going to show up as closed on credit bureaus as of March 15th?
Unlikely. As already mentioned it takes a while for this to make its way to the reporting companies. In addition people could do returns/chargebacks on this card for the next 30-90 days so it wouldn't make sense to report accounts closed on 16Mar18.

But also people who carry a balance could be making payments on this card for months or years to come. I doubt Chase would close those accounts.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)