Cell Phones

Chatr calls and data how do you tell if it's in-zone or out-of-zone?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 7:16 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes

Chatr calls and data how do you tell if it's in-zone or out-of-zone?

I want to get a cheap plan with 1~2GB of data and it seems chatr is the cheapest ($40/mo 2GB+500MB 3G data).

From their website, it says everything is "in zone" only, and they outline the zones in their coverage map. It seems to cover most of the cities in Ontario, which is fine for me.
But I wonder how do I know if I'm using "out of zone" data? Would the SIM switch to roaming when out of zone?

If that's the case, I can simply switch roaming off to prevent from being charged by traffic.
6 replies
Feb 17, 2018
22 posts
11 upvotes
Sorry for throwing another option out there instead of answering your specific question, but...

No zones on Public Mobile - from that perspective for people like me who live outside major centres the better choice.
And at the moment Public Mobile offers 500MB bonus on their $40 for 2GB / Canada wide unlimited talk / unlimited international texts plan. With autopay cost comes down to $38/30 days, with the potential of further reduction with referral, community and loyalty rewards.

(For people who are calling specific international phone numbers, ChatR's International Talk Saver feature might be a tipping point, since Public Mobile only offers 18 destination countries on their 400minute add-on. I have VOIP apps for that...)
Apr 14, 2006
323 posts
168 upvotes
Agreed the PM is a better deal. Slightly lower price with no zones and a better network. They also have a pretty good track record of honoring existing rates unlike Rogers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
fiddlewin wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 7:49 pm
But I wonder how do I know if I'm using "out of zone" data? Would the SIM switch to roaming when out of zone?If that's the case, I can simply switch roaming off to prevent from being charged by traffic.
In the setting, you can (1) enable data & (2) enable roaming specifically. You would not and cannot accidentally roam at all
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16487 posts
5067 upvotes
Toronto
OP, if you are interested in a 2 GB plan and are willing to pay $40, Chatr is a terrible option. Zoomer will give you 3 GB for $36 and no zones to worry about. Public Mobile will give you 2.5 GB for $40 with various ways to reduce the cost through rewards, the easiest to earn is auto pay at $2 per month.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Aug 20, 2014
48 posts
23 upvotes
Surrey, BC
New post on the site today, PM has 4GB and unlimited talk/text for $40. It's 3G speed, but on the LTE network so you still get the great latency.

RFD thread link here.

PM deal page here
Koodo: 8GB, unlt'd Canada-wide for $40.
Fido: 3GB LTE data for $15, minus 100% discount for 12 months.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)