• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 7:06 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1991 posts
67 upvotes
GTA

Cheap autoparts from e-bay free shipped from China, your opinion

I wanted to purchase air filters for my 2010 Honda Odyssey EXL. Checked the ebay.ca and found some cheap products from China with free shipping. For engine air filter, their price is about C$10 with free shipping (15-44 days). I checked the reputation of the seller, 99.*% positive rating, which is good.

The questions are,
1. For auto parts in general, are cheap products from e-bay shipped from China by reputable sellers (with high custom rating) good? What is your experience or opinion.
2. For unimportant auto parts such as air filters in my case, do ebay cheap products worth a try?

Thanks.
7 replies
Mar 17, 2010
205 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
elmst200 wrote: I wanted to purchase air filters for my 2010 Honda Odyssey EXL. Checked the ebay.ca and found some cheap products from China with free shipping. For engine air filter, their price is about C$10 with free shipping (15-44 days). I checked the reputation of the seller, 99.*% positive rating, which is good.

The questions are,
1. For auto parts in general, are cheap products from e-bay shipped from China by reputable sellers (with high custom rating) good? What is your experience or opinion.
2. For unimportant auto parts such as air filters in my case, do ebay cheap products worth a try?

Thanks.
I wouldn't consider air filters as "unimportant part"...both for engine intake and cabin. Unless you don't care much about fuel, engine performance and the air you are going to breath inside the cabin.

I've bought ebay parts for my cars, but they are generally minor cosmetic features. One time I did buy a performance part from ebay but the seller is based in US. I wouldn't touch any China performance parts.

Just my 2 cents.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
@elmst200, have you compared the prices with RockAuto?

I order from them with a 5% discount code and pick up the parts from my amerifriend.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10497 posts
7631 upvotes
ON
I'd like to see the repair bill when that intake air filter falls apart and clogs your intake valves or worse jams your throttle body at WOT when in stop and go traffic.
I sure wouldn't be taking that chance.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2006
2021 posts
611 upvotes
gta
just get your part @ rockauto . i dont recomment parts from ebay performance or just regular maintenance part. Had bad experience before.
No links or solicitations through sigs
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
The only thing is free shipping from China now takes MONTHS to receive from what used to be 2-3 weeks a few years ago

If you want cheap air filters check out locally owned auto part shops, most order bulk and sell for the same price.

Ex, 888 Auto Parts on Keele and Highway 7 sells air filters for $10 and oil filters for $3. Probably not the "best" parts but good enough to get the job done, especially if it's just a generic Japanese car.
Feb 4, 2017
464 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
pay the extra couple of bucks and get OEM or reputable aftermarket.

you might end up with fitment issues, or premature part replacement with any inferior part.

might be cheap now, but you will pay in the long run.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
Stuff that doesn't matter if it suddenly completely fails, sure. Anything related to drivetrain/electronics hell no.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)