Home & Garden

Cheap bathroom Kitchen remodel for $15K? Am I dreaming, sane or crazy?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2018 10:29 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5453 posts
1175 upvotes

Cheap bathroom Kitchen remodel for $15K? Am I dreaming, sane or crazy?

Background. - 2bed 2bath 8 year old condo that I live in and could potentially sell in 1-3 years. Want to increase the value by making a few changes to the kitchen, ensuite bathroom and MAYBE main bath. Need to make sure I get my money back.

Bathroom 1
Details: Bathroom is 7 1/2ft by 5ft including the shower.
Ceilings 8ft

What I'd like to do:
  1. Replace floor tiles 25 sqft - space $5-6/ft $150 + installation
  2. Replace marble shower threshold - $60 + installation
  3. replace shower floor tiles - 5ft x 2ft $5-$6/ft - $100 + installation
  4. replace shower wall tiles 72 sqft - $5-$6/ft - $432 + installation
  5. replace shower faucet - $150-$250 + installation
  6. replace glass shower door and wall (4 ft) - Dilemma. I have a door and insert already. But, in order to take out the tile and reinstall it, the door will have to be taken down. If it's possible to re-use it then I will. If not, it's an extra cost. Have no clue. Insert is 2 1/2ftby 8ft. Door is 2ft x 6.5 ft. No idea on cost
  7. replace vanity, sink, faucet - $500 vanity (ikea) sink & faucet - $400, counter - 2 linear feet (quartz) $200 + installation
  8. replace medicine cabinet - $150-200
  9. 1 or 2 pot lights - $150/light installed
Grand total of $2242 in materials plus installation.

Total assumes that I can reuse the shower door and insert.

Need to keep this at $5K installed.

Kitchen
details:
  1. Counters
  2. 10 linear ft + island 3x3 1/2 ft mid-range quartz - $100/ft - $1500
  3. backsplash 30 sqft
    -- option 1 (tile): $5/ft - $150 + Installation
    -- option 2 (mid-range quartz): $100/ft - $1500 + installation
  4. Floor Tile 100 sqft $5/ft - $500
  5. stainless stink (square edge) + faucet - $700 + installation
  6. Install under cabinet lighting to existing cabinets (no clue)
Kitchen materials at $4400. Not sure on labor?
If cost is too high for the quartz bakcsplash, I'll put tile, which should bring the cost down.

If I can get the kitchen and bathroom to $15K I'll do bathroom 2. Something tells me it could be tight.

Also some trades recomendations would be great. Deff need a good tile guy.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3254 posts
657 upvotes
All of the above

I can already tell you that your rough in will have to change to accommodate the “ikea” vanity. So you can consider that your first variance

Also I’m guessing your new sink will be of the deeper variety? If so make sure your existing drain height isn’t too high for a deep double sink with dishwasher.
Also, plumbing costs in condos are always higher due to material used to adhere to fire codes, insurance etc.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5453 posts
1175 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 1:23 pm
All of the above

I can already tell you that your rough in will have to change to accommodate the “ikea” vanity. So you can consider that your first variance

Also I’m guessing your new sink will be of the deeper variety? If so make sure your existing drain height isn’t too high for a deep double sink with dishwasher.
Also, plumbing costs in condos are always higher due to material used to adhere to fire codes, insurance etc.
Good point. Will have to keep that in mind.
Jun 11, 2010
606 posts
310 upvotes
ottawa
Your kitchen Reno seems really reasonable. For comparison we did our kitchen which was a full gut 124sqft for around 9.5k which included cabinets and install, porcelain floor tiles and install (almost 3k alone), quartz countertop and install and backsplash which I installed as well as electrical and plumbing. People on here were super helpful in assessing my plumbing situation so I could diy.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1653 posts
658 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You forgot to include costs of demolition/disposal. Are you reusing the kitchen cabinets? Refacing? New doors only?

For 15k you wouldn't get quality work done that would increase the property value enough to make it worthwhile. Your bathroom could easily cost 8-9k when all done
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5453 posts
1175 upvotes
schade wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 3:19 pm
You forgot to include costs of demolition/disposal. Are you reusing the kitchen cabinets? Refacing? New doors only?

For 15k you wouldn't get quality work done that would increase the property value enough to make it worthwhile. Your bathroom could easily cost 8-9k when all done

Yes, I didn't include demo. With regards to the kitchen. I'm leaving the cabinets and doors. I'm just changing the counter, backplash, sink and floor tiles. I just realized that the tiles are underneath the cabinets. Not sure how I'll get new tiles installed with the existing cabinets still in place.
Mar 27, 2015
972 posts
257 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Where's that guy on here that delivers pizzas and did all these renovations on the cheap himself? Perhaps you could read his posts for some help.
Jun 11, 2010
606 posts
310 upvotes
ottawa
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Where's that guy on here that delivers pizzas and did all these renovations on the cheap himself? Perhaps you could read his posts for some help.
Is that nomdesplums? Lol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5453 posts
1175 upvotes
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 9:34 pm
Where's that guy on here that delivers pizzas and did all these renovations on the cheap himself? Perhaps you could read his posts for some help.
I'm not doing anything myself. I'm a "leave it to the professionals" kind of guy. I need to find a tile guy. I knew a really good one years back but I doubt I'll be able to find him now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)