[OP]
Mar 6, 2006
132 posts

cheap .ca domain?

what is the cheapest place to buy .ca domains? thanks!
59 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
jacky27 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2007 5:09 pm
what is the cheapest place to buy .ca domains? thanks!
You don't need the lowest price unless you have like thousands of .CA domains. Most places charge about $10 - $20 a YEAR, and the difference won't buy you even a cup of small cofee a month.

Both BareMetal ($12.99) and Look ($19.95) have been around for quite a long while, and their services are solid good.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2003
1407 posts
21 upvotes
Try namepros.com. I've been using look for years, but really don't like their non-existent service. And with .ca domains, there's always problems, so service is a must.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
wheel wrote:
Jul 30th, 2007 5:53 pm
Try namepros.com. I've been using look for years, but really don't like their non-existent service. And with .ca domains, there's always problems, so service is a must.
To be fair, if you know the stuff well enough, .CA COULD be problemless. (I almost never have a problem in the last few years.) I have also used NamesPro.ca (no, it's NOT "namepros.com, nor even namespro.com) for quite a while. They are okay. The only complain is, they don't have a toll free number. AND Look.ca has it.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2003
1407 posts
21 upvotes
teknoluv wrote:
Jul 30th, 2007 6:21 pm
To be fair, if you know the stuff well enough, .CA COULD be problemless. (I almost never have a problem in the last few years.) I have also used NamesPro.ca (no, it's NOT "namepros.com, nor even namespro.com) for quite a while. They are okay. The only complain is, they don't have a toll free number. AND Look.ca has it.
Sure enough. Though why I want to learn something else that's completely useless is beyond me :) . The cira registration is a pain in the @ss, and a freakin' nightmare to change anything. That's what registrars do, not me. And if the registrar doesn't do it,I'm not. I've got my own work to do. Previously I paid $45 a year for .ca registrations for no other reason than the company just looked after the difficulties.

Namespro...or whatever the heck it is :) at least answered a couple of questions by email. Look, they don't have a freaking clue. Last time I called their toll free number, they guy told me that my info wasn't in their system yet, wouldn't be until tomorrow earliest, and he was on vacation after that. No, he wouldn't pass a message along to another rep to get the job done, nothing. I was told to call back after a few days (for no other reason than they wouldn't do the job then, and wouldn't schedule it to get done. It's worth noting that what I was trying to do was change my nameservers. Geesh, I'm getting ugly just thinking about it.). Completely useless bunch of idiots working there. But the 20 minute waste of my time phone call was free.

But I suppose if you know what you're doing.........
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2003
1407 posts
21 upvotes
teknoluv wrote:
Jul 30th, 2007 5:13 pm
You don't need the lowest price unless you have like thousands of .CA domains. Most places charge about $10 - $20 a YEAR, and the difference won't buy you even a cup of small cofee a month.

Both BareMetal ($12.99) and Look ($19.95) have been around for quite a long while, and their services are solid good.

The quote is worth noting. Do folks really care about $5 a year for a domain reg? Cheapest these days means like a couple of bucks difference. Not even worth shopping around. The question should be 'who's the best'.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
wheel wrote:
Jul 30th, 2007 8:09 pm
It's worth noting that what I was trying to do was change my nameservers.
Just curious, why would you need to call to change nameservers? They should still be using OpenSRS backend, right?
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2003
1407 posts
21 upvotes
teknoluv wrote:
Jul 31st, 2007 10:01 am
Just curious, why would you need to call to change nameservers? They should still be using OpenSRS backend, right?
Because I'd just registered a .ca and didn't yet have a password to get into the opensrs system, have to call to get one I guess, that soon after registering. At which point I get the bad news I have to call back later (after the typical 20 minute wait) and no, they would not leave a message for someone else there to look after it.

I appreciate that it makes no sense. Which is why I'm moving from look. I don't have time to screw around with incompetence like that. Cuts into my forum trolling.
Jun 8, 2005
149 posts
Mississauga
10dollar.ca
I have quite a few domains with them and I recommend them for .CAs.
Mar 2, 2006
158 posts
Montr
i also have quite a few domains with 10dollars.ca and they are great!
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13202 posts
1522 upvotes
Mississauga
ezbst wrote:
Jul 31st, 2007 10:48 am
10dollar.ca
I have quite a few domains with them and I recommend them for .CAs.
+1 same here
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1378 posts
74 upvotes
Woodbridge
teknoluv wrote:
Jul 30th, 2007 6:21 pm
+1 for namespro.ca I've been using them for the last two years with out a problem.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18196 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
sterdeus wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2007 7:41 pm
+1 for namespro.ca I've been using them for the last two years with out a problem.
I've been using namespro.ca also for a few years, mostly for the domain name and mail server. Comes with a free mailbox so it's a big plus if you want to use your own email address instead of your ISP's (eg. felix@myowndomain.ca). They used to have problems with their outgoing mail server but after my mail host mailsnare.net had yet another huge outage, I switched back to namespro and it's been fine since.