• Dec 4th, 2014 6:24 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1357 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Derek - Take a look at netfirms -they're under $10 as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1357 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Doesn't say if it's an EDLP or a promo price. It's been at $9.95 at least since May AFAIK. It's $4.95 on the US site (netfirms.com).
Jun 12, 2007
77 posts
Burnaby, BC
I use NamesPro.ca - good price - excellent customer and technical service.
Have heard good things about 10dollar.ca but have no personal experience with them.
Have had terrible experience with NetFirms - totally incompetent (and slow) technical support.
CanadianDots.ca - Canadian .ca Domain Name Forum
LaughLover.com - Bumper Sticker / T-Shirt, One-Liners
Nov 26, 2002
577 posts
46 upvotes
I have been happy with domainsatcost.ca, have been with them for a few years with various domains. May not be the cheapest but they have good service.
Nov 15, 2003
459 posts
Mississauga
hempopotamus wrote:
Aug 19th, 2007 7:03 pm
I have been happy with domainsatcost.ca, have been with them for a few years with various domains. May not be the cheapest but they have good service.
Domainsatcost.ca has been ok for me, been using them for a few years now with no problems. Moved my non-ca domains away because they were a bit pricey, but good for .ca. Transfering domains away was fairly easy.

One major gripe I had with them was once the Canadian dollar bounced back, they still use a large exchange rate, so they were pocketing more money. Their excuse was they were working on it, and it's a slow update because it's "hardcoded". Yeah right, if it was the other way, you'd be damn sure they would fix it promptly!!
Jan 18, 2007
101 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
stevelam wrote:
Jul 30th, 2007 8:02 pm
netfirms.ca - canadian domain names for 9.95$ a year.

definitely host somewhere else though
100% agree,
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Shiifty wrote:
Aug 28th, 2007 12:46 pm
One major gripe I had with them was once the Canadian dollar bounced back, they still use a large exchange rate ...
Just curious why exchange rates have anything to do with Domainsatcost.ca?
Nov 15, 2003
459 posts
Mississauga
teknoluv wrote:
Aug 28th, 2007 5:28 pm
Just curious why exchange rates have anything to do with Domainsatcost.ca?
domainsatcost takes orders in $US and was still using a poor exchange rate (1.40 or more) for many months, after the Canadian dollar had bounced back. They explained the exchange rate was "hard coded" into the website and wasn't easy modified, and they were "working on it". It reality, it was just a way to get extra money from buyers.

It the Canadian dollar had tanked, you can bet they would have changed the exchange rate immediately so they wouldn't lose any money ...

In summary, a shady practice.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1578 posts
72 upvotes
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but there was some deal at Netfirms (www.netfirms.ca/max) where you can get 2 .CA domains for $10 a year.

Hope that helps.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
24 upvotes
Sorry to bring up a old thread....

My domain is going to need renewal soon. And it was a LLOOOONNNGGGG time since I pay for it (that was almost 10 years ago). At the time, the company I used (BC based) charge me something like $12 + $10x10yr. Since then, the company went south (without any notice to me) and based on CIRA's rule it transfered my domain automagically to another company. And that went south and now parked with the third company as I can recall.

Now I maybe getting old. In the past, there were 2 fees for .CA domain. the $10/yr (or something like that) was the annual fee for CIRA and dones't matter where you register it, is the same. And the one time $12 I pay at the time is depends on where you register, some will charge you yearly fee, and this one charge one time fee, doesn't matter if you register for 1 yr or 10 yr. Is for you to access their "interface" so you can update your record (e.g. contacts, and most importantly, your DNS server)

Is it still the same today? Or is it really just one fee (say netfirms, I think is under $10/yr)

* I had my on.CA then .CA way before CIRA took over... and it was free in the good old days...
/* My Heatware */
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
...really weird C code to count the number of bits in a word
Hacking RAID in XP
Support Net Neutrality Canada
× < >