Cheap computer for parents

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 12:24 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4384 posts
482 upvotes

Cheap computer for parents

Have been out of the "scene" for a while now. Parents want a computer to do basic browsing (banking, youtube, etc.), maybe some word processing (resume), and unlikely to do any gaming. I threw this together:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($126.95 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($92.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($111.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($102.87 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.50 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($117.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $677.04

Any feedback? Am I missing anything? See any compatibility issues? (besides all this BIOS nonsense that I've been reading about).

Budget is under $800 if possible, will reuse external peripherals like monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc.

Thanks!
Questrade | Crypto.com | BlockFi | Public Mobile
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2011
1577 posts
1189 upvotes
You shouldn't be building a custom PC for basic web use, it's overkill.

Any $300 laptop is probably all they need.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
willy wrote: All they need is a off-lease Dell Optiplex .... They go on sale 25-40% off often ...

Like this ... https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/desktop- ... rder=price
THIS. They're 25% off right now (expires today). Grab one for ~$200 after tax, pop in an SSD and an extra stick of RAM and you're golden.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Dec 18, 2017
240 posts
137 upvotes
GVA
I am building almost the same exact build for my mom - I'm waiting for the mobo and RAM to come in as it is being shipped from ON to BC. Maybe a $300 laptop would suffice, but I want something a bit better and I have a disdain for laptops. About the only major difference is that I bucked up for a 250GB 970 EVO. My mom is always complaining how slow her PC is which is a PC I built for her years ago that is running an Intel Q6600.

Also, I've recently found I can still use Win7 keys with new Win10 setups (OEM at least) so if you have a Win7 key around, try that first with a Win 10 USB install drive before buying a Win10 key. Might save you $100+.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TheGreatGazoo wrote: I am building almost the same exact build for my mom - I'm waiting for the mobo and RAM to come in as it is being shipped from ON to BC. Maybe a $300 laptop would suffice, but I want something a bit better and I have a disdain for laptops. About the only major difference is that I bucked up for a 250GB 970 EVO. My mom is always complaining how slow her PC is which is a PC I built for her years ago that is running an Intel Q6600.

Also, I've recently found I can still use Win7 keys with new Win10 setups (OEM at least) so if you have a Win7 key around, try that first with a Win 10 USB install drive before buying a Win10 key. Might save you $100+.
A Q6600 should still be fast enough for general browsing, Youtube, emails... In fact, I'm typing on one now. You should just upgrade the hard drive to an SSD if it doesn't already have one and reinstall the OS.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4384 posts
482 upvotes
Thanks for the quick replies!
willy wrote: All they need is a off-lease Dell Optiplex .... They go on sale 25-40% off often ...

Like this ... https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/desktop- ... rder=price
I'll take a look but it looks like the sale is over :(
elfen2 wrote: You shouldn't be building a custom PC for basic web use, it's overkill.

Any $300 laptop is probably all they need.
I asked about a laptop and they prefer the bigger screen/keyboard/etc. Laptop isn't going to work for them so I didn't push it.
Amourek wrote: THIS. They're 25% off right now (expires today). Grab one for ~$200 after tax, pop in an SSD and an extra stick of RAM and you're golden.
Missed out! :( Will take a look though to see.
TheGreatGazoo wrote: I am building almost the same exact build for my mom - I'm waiting for the mobo and RAM to come in as it is being shipped from ON to BC. Maybe a $300 laptop would suffice, but I want something a bit better and I have a disdain for laptops. About the only major difference is that I bucked up for a 250GB 970 EVO. My mom is always complaining how slow her PC is which is a PC I built for her years ago that is running an Intel Q6600.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have a Win7 key so I'll try that if I proceed with this given the new information provided here.
Questrade | Crypto.com | BlockFi | Public Mobile
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Just buy them a decent pre-built desktop with Win 10. You’ll save money and you’ll get a third party warranty for the entire machine. If your time is precious, consider getting them a 3-year warranty.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2011
1577 posts
1189 upvotes
ipxxx wrote: I asked about a laptop and they prefer the bigger screen/keyboard/etc. Laptop isn't going to work for them so I didn't push it.
You can hook up all of those things to a laptop.

But if you want a desktop, don't build one yourself. It's better to buy a pre-built system that has Windows included and free support. Will be cheaper too.

Any desktop (with an SSD) will be fine.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
Do not custom build a desktop. As suggested by willy above just get them a refurbished dell, you can get them for very cheap. Spend the extra on a good monitor and you're all set.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Jun 10, 2006
497 posts
161 upvotes
This question comes up every once in a while, and my own advise is always to consider a Chromebook -- simple-to-use and quick-to-boot for them, and hassle-less support for you! :)
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
They don't need to budget $800 for a daily browsing use PC.
Get a preassembled one from Canada Computers, NCIX, Best buy etc.... for something less than $500.

Trust me, save the extra $300 and bring them for a nice dining, they will be happier.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3206 posts
1739 upvotes
Markham
OP, I'd highly suggest looking at Lenovo's M710 business PCs instead of building your own. My parents just upgraded their 10 year old PC with the M710 tower and it's perfect for this scenario. The following configuration is $514 via their friends & family EPP site. You will just need to add 4GB RAM separately. They also offer a 3 year on-site warranty for $58.50, which is good if you don't want to be their tech support.
Configuration Details
Processor : Intel Core i3-7100 Processor ( 3M Cache , 3.9GHz )
Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
Form Factor : Tower 85% Power 210W
Memory : 4GB DDR4 2400 UDIMM
First Video Adapter : Integrated Graphic Card
First Hard Drive : 1TB Hard Drive, 7200 RPM, 3.5", SATA3
M.2 Storage Card : 128 GB Solid State Drive M.2 PCIe
Optical Device : Slim DVD Burner / CD-RW, SATA
Networking : Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters : Intel 8265 2x2AC+Bluetooth Version Non-vPro
Card Reader : 7 in 1 Card Reader
Keyboard: None
Mouse: None
Parallel Cable : None
Additional I/O Ports : None
Speakers : Internal Speaker
Publications Pack : Publication English
Warranty : 1 Year On-site

Web Price: $704.00 Sale Price: $513.91
Go here for the EPP discount https://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/ibmeppfri ... Gatekeeper

Passcode: FNDEPP
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
I built my parents 2 SFF PCs, but that was because I wanted to try out a particular case (In Win Chopin). Pricing didn't really matter so much, but my build had cheaper CPU, mobo (with rebate), and RAM. PSU came with the case, but overall more expensive. Storage was the same price. I got the same one, but in 3,5 form factor. Didn't need an optical drive and Win 10 was... ahem... $10. Overall roughly $500 before tax (each).

But if cheap is the goal, then pre-built machines can't be beat. Especially refurbs.
Oct 26, 2006
585 posts
63 upvotes
East GTA - Durham Re…
Go for a refurb. Get an i5, 4GB ram, Close to $200 with warranty and Windows license. Lenovo.
Dec 27, 2017
98 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
darethehair wrote: This question comes up every once in a while, and my own advise is always to consider a Chromebook -- simple-to-use and quick-to-boot for them, and hassle-less support for you! :)
Same advice I give too. And yes, I bought my mom an Asus Chromebox; she already owned a monitor, and doesn't travel.
Jan 16, 2005
797 posts
303 upvotes
yvrmike wrote: Same advice I give too. And yes, I bought my mom an Asus Chromebox; she already owned a monitor, and doesn't travel.
And they’ll never call you again and say “it’s not working”

Love my chromebook, it just works.
Mar 26, 2008
563 posts
282 upvotes
as others have mentioned, basic computer use doesn't require much processing power. a sub 300$ computer is more than enough power to just browse, etc.